12x16 Timber Frame Cabin

Started by Whitlock, October 01, 2008, 12:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

We have light tan vinyl window frames. We're likely going to paint the exterior window trim that same color, as well as the door trim and the door itself. The siding will be a green approximately the same shade as the gazebo. Then we'll repaint the shed to match tying the whole place together.

Probably. Nothing is certain until we do it, and then it's subject to revision.  ::)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Whitlock

Been working on the cabin the last few days. Don't have many pictures though, camera ran out of batteries.

I built the mallets in this picture for this project. They are made out of a old mulberry branch. The one on the right made it though this part of the build that mulberry was surprisingly tough d*

The local building inspectors showed up ;)

It's the little things that makes  cabins fun :)

Maybe more tomorrow,W
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

MountainDon

Is tht a genuine "oldie" knob and plate? Or a repro. I like it.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Whitlock

It is genuine [cool] Took it off of a old house that was built in 1870 or so the owner said. I tore the house down for the parts before it finshed falling down. I need to paint the key hole black, Don't I d*

MountainDon

Or get a genuine mortise lock for the door; might have to hunt for an operable oldie, though.

There's a company that still makes them, Marks, but they're pricey. Still made in the USA. Uh-oh, I just remembered, they're made for a modern day tumbler lock. I have a couple, used in steel security doors.

Squirl

Quote from: Whitlock on November 07, 2008, 12:32:14 AM
It is genuine [cool] Took it off of a old house that was built in 1870 or so the owner said. I tore the house down for the parts before it finshed falling down. I need to paint the key hole black, Don't I d*

I would just drill out the key hole, but not all the way through.

alcowboy

We still have the old skeleton key to my grandmother's home. Someone moved in and it burned down after over 100+ years of service  :(

Redoverfarm

Whitlock you can get the mortise lock sets to go with your handle at  www.vandykes.com.

Whitlock

Finshed some trim up today. I just can't get used to that door. Maybe there are too many windows and that door adds to them?

Whitlock

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 07, 2008, 04:49:39 PM
Whitlock you can get the mortise lock sets to go with your handle at  www.vandykes.com.

Thanks for the info.Some day I will get to cover my block work with rock like you have on your place.
Your place is really looking good you must be proud.
Some day I would like to bye a kit home from Stone Mill log homes.I really like that stile. Building one like you have would also be a option if I could ever find another one to take down and move.
Most in this area are too far gone or have historical landmark signs on them :-\

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Whitlock on November 08, 2008, 12:47:17 AM
Thanks for the info.Some day I will get to cover my block work with rock like you have on your place.
Your place is really looking good you must be proud.
Some day I would like to bye a kit home from Stone Mill log homes.I really like that stile. Building one like you have would also be a option if I could ever find another one to take down and move.
Most in this area are too far gone or have historical landmark signs on them :-\

Yes they are going fast.  Still some hidden around covered in siding.  If you were intrested there is a guy close to my house that has a buisness that deals with them.  He has shippped them all over the US.  He has a P&B barn set up now that he hasn't sold in a year or so.  Seems everyone is looking for houses and not barns.

Here is a couple of sites that deal with them.  The first is the one I was referring to above.  There is a picture of the P&B in the inventory portion of the sites. 

http://www.antiquecabinsandbarns.com/

http://www.vintagelog.com/

I was eyeing up a old barn not far from the house.  The guy was from out of state that bought the property.  I kept waiting for him to come in to stop and ask about it.  One day I went past and he had came in. He also brought in a bulldozer and leveled the barn before I could talk to him making a site for a steel building. Nothing left now but splinters.  What was he thinking d*

Whitlock

I need money heh Those are some cool sites!

Sassy

The cabin is really looking nice, Whitlock!  One of these days I'll have to make Glenn bring me up there for a visit!
I really like that doorknob, too!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

diyfrank

Beautiful work Whitlock!

I lived in a house for a while that was built back in those times. It really makes you appreciate what people did back then. 
Home is where you make it

Whitlock

I'm starting to think about building my house this way also. Going to use a chain mortiser this time.
Using the old tools was fun but a lot of work.

Redoverfarm

Cool Whitlock any idea of the cost?

Whitlock

Here is a store for all your Timber framing needs.You can shop around and get better deals sometimes.
Unless you are going into buissness I would buy the Makita tools they are a lot cheaper.

http://www.timberwolftools.com/tools/makita/M-7104L.html

PEG688

WOW now yer barkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another whole world of POWER TOOLS :)

There some well though out tools there!

EXPENSIVE  :o  :o  , but nice. 8) 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Whitlock

Welcome Peg
I would be barking if I bought some of those tools alright.
My butt would be in the dog house.

When the time comes they will be mine even if I have to bark for awhile [cool]

glenn kangiser

I love that attitude.... ::)

...but ouch --- that is expensive. 
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Flutterby

Yeah, Whitlock... any idea of the cost? How much does that fancy barking Tim-the-Tool-Man-Taylor thing cost?  ;) 

glenn kangiser

Whitlock, the little lady is prying into your deepest thoughts..... [slap]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rdzone

Just so everyone knows the mafell only costs........$2609.00 a bargin at that price.   :)

I have attend several timber frame workshops and helped a buddy build a timber frame house.  Lots of fun and lots of work.  I will say I have used this machine and it saves a lot of work, but I like the Makita better it costs less ($1275.00) and is more like a plunge router with a base.  Either one definately cuts down on the time it takes to rough out a mortise.  You still need to finish things up with a hand chisel.
Chuck

Whitlock

Quote from: Flutterby on December 03, 2008, 01:27:42 AM
Yeah, Whitlock... any idea of the cost? How much does that fancy barking Tim-the-Tool-Man-Taylor thing cost?  ;) 

Looks like Flutterby needs to cut out a couple of mortises by hand [waiting] before I will be abile to buy one :)

Whitlock

Haven't posted on the cabin in so long.Though I had lost it ???
Payed the property off today ;D The guy was a little pissed he missed out on a lot of intrest [cool]
Hope to start drilling the well soon,seems like eveyone is on vacation so I will see after the first when they can get out here :-\
Glenn came over tonight for tacos and to help me with the wireing in the gest house.
We looked under the gest house for the frist time ever. No floor joists ???just 2x materal layed flat with a continuous footing in the center :-\ And the darn thing is built on a tailing pile from the mine d*

Now I have seen it all,W