12x16 Timber Frame Cabin

Started by Whitlock, October 01, 2008, 12:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

This is the third year for mine on the same porch post.  The mother has been a little aggrivated this past week as I set my tile saw near her nest. 

smcdaniel345

I would love to see some inside pictures.  I want to do the same thing - using the old barn/house for the inside.  I would love not to have any drywall - anywhere. 

Whitlock

Quote from: smcdaniel345 on May 27, 2009, 09:45:17 PM
I would love to see some inside pictures.  I want to do the same thing - using the old barn/house for the inside.  I would love not to have any drywall - anywhere. 

Old barn boards are a lot of fun and a lot of work. You have to dig though the pile to find just the right bowed up not square board. Then you cut the bad end off and try to make it fit. I love rustic and the fact that I'm recycling ;D
I hate dry wall also heh
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Whitlock

Some pictures of the inside for you all. Might try to take some more later some turned out to dark?
I finally have finshed the walls and trim.
Next I'm going to start working on the loft and sanding the old barn board to make it show the saw marks better.

ScottA

Looks great though the white plastic chair looks a tad out of place.

Sassy

Looks nice, Whitlock, so when you moving in?
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

poppy

Now that's a cabin.  It looks great and the reclaimed wood makes it even better.  Hope the inside of my cabin looks as good.

So do you have any plans to cover the concrete block on the inside?  And what about the floor?

Whitlock

Sassy I would move in tomarrow but I would be alone.Need to get the kitchen and bath done for Flutterby.
As for the block and floor Poppy. On the inside I'm thinking about faceing the block with wood with riveted metal straping.
The floor will be covered with wood flooring or the oak 1/2x3's boards found in wine barrels.I have a friend that buys wine barrels bye the thousands.He cuts them in half for use as planters.The oak boards that are inside go to the dump so I might save some and try to make flooring out of them. Thay are staned from the wine and when planed a little the oak has a wonderful redish color.
Here is a better picture [cool]

Whitlock

Before anyone gives me a hard time about my 100 plus year old unlevel door. The hinge pins are wore out d*

Whitlock

Been working on the loft.Glenn helped me resaw some 6x6's into 3x5's with his little sawmill and I built the beam saddles for it out of my pile of resources.Time to think about a set of stairs or a ladder ???

ScottA

I really like the rustic look you achieved. Almost looks historical.  :)

Bishopknight

Yes, I concur with Scott. Very beautiful and rustic. Great job Whitlock!

Puts my 12x16 to shame  :(  ;D

poppy

I'm sure you already saw it, but just in case, there is a loft ladder design in the Free Stuff thread.

You do really nice work and that cabin will last a long, long time. It's a good lesson for all of us on what real house construction can be.

Whitlock

Thanks for the complaments Guys!
Worked on the loft some more today had to have Glenn resaw me a 6x6 to complete the loft.

Poppy I haden't seen the free stuff

Thanks,W

PEG688

I'm not crazy about the black metal hangers , what can you do with those  ??? Maybe take them down and use a torch to burn off the paint and accelerate the rusting process :-\

They just don't "fit" that interior , you've spent so much time pegging M&T joints .

Are you happy with them? I think thats what really matters here, I just sort of hate to see the "pure" look get compromised.

Glenn milled those summer beams for you? 

No offence,  just my comments.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Whitlock

Quote from: PEG688 on July 03, 2009, 11:02:34 PM

I'm not crazy about the black metal hangers , what can you do with those  ??? Maybe take them down and use a torch to burn off the paint and accelerate the rusting process :-\

They just don't "fit" that interior , you've spent so much time pegging M&T joints .

Are you happy with them? I think thats what really matters here, I just sort of hate to see the "pure" look get compromised.

Glenn milled those summer beams for you?  

No offence,  just my comments.

To tell you the truth I have been waiting for a post like this [waiting]
I know what you mean peg. I'm not too sure about the black eather. Though about heating them up and giving them a hammerd look by working them over on my anvil.Then they would fit in better. Being a metal worker by trade I had to do it. I think of them more like hardware on a piece of furniture.  I was also worryed about notching the cedar bents in the center.

Like you say "When in doubt,build it stout with something you know about"

Glenn milled all the 3x5 joists and a 6x6 that I added today

Your comments are always welcomed,W

MushCreek

I learned a neat trick from a Czech blacksmith for wrought iron. He would spray paint it with satin black, and while it was still tacky, dust it with powdered graphite. Once dry, you hand rub it. The high spots take somewhat of a dull shine, with the low spots and recesses being flat black. It gives the illusion of something old that has been handled a lot, like a hand rail in a park or something.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Redoverfarm

Whitlock you are doing a great job.  I have to agree with Peg as far as the black look.  It would be a PIA to take them down now that the timbers are set in.  You might consider finding a finish color that you can tape off and spray to replicate the hammered rusty finsih.  I searched a little and came up with this.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=180

http://www.krylon.com/products/outdoor_spaces_hammered_finish/

poppy

QuotePoppy I haden't seen the free stuff
I was referring to the "Free Stuff for Designers and Builders" on this board.

Whitlock

Well I got most of the 3/4 loft finshed. I ran out of reclaimed 2x12's. I'm sure I will find some soon :-\

Redoverfarm

Hey Whit I noticed that the 2X12 appear to be rough sawn. Did you plane the loft surface for the floor.  If you didn't I am sure that wife will let you know when it comes time to walk or clean it.  ;D

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

::)  that's just an excuse   [waiting]
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

poppy

You have to clean a cabin? :o

Actually, I would like to know the answer to that question as well.  I have some rough sawn cherry for the main floor and I figured to at least run it through a planer once.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.