Multi-phased 1 1/2 story home project in Austin, TX

Started by phalynx, February 11, 2007, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phalynx

Quote from: Johnbrakingground on January 10, 2010, 11:04:27 PM
You are my hero man!

Thanks!  I finally have achieved hero status.  I can't wait to get my new certification card in the mail..  Building is actually fun and cheap.  Two things that go great together.

Quote from: MountainDon on January 10, 2010, 11:12:43 PM
I'm wondering what's going to happen when he runs out of building space? ???

I have about 11 more acres I haven't touched yet...  2 acres are going to be a vineyard soon so that leaves 9.  The acreage next door can be bought for another 10...  I'll be good for another 3-4 years!

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 10, 2010, 11:17:16 PM
Maybe he'll try going underground again but on a smaller scale. :)
Don't worry Glenn, I will.  I've got plans/dreams baby!  Not to mention I have always dreamed of having a cool home with secret passages and such.  Since my projects are too small to conceal any space in it, that leaves underground.  soon... soon.  d*

phalynx

Here is an updated picture with all of its man glory.  I may hang Dewalt posters all over the walls too!

glenn kangiser

Quote from: phalynx on January 10, 2010, 11:27:50 PM
Quote from: Johnbrakingground on January 10, 2010, 11:04:27 PM
You are my hero man!

Thanks!  I finally have achieved hero status.  I can't wait to get my new certification card in the mail..  Building is actually fun and cheap.  Two things that go great together.

Quote from: MountainDon on January 10, 2010, 11:12:43 PM
I'm wondering what's going to happen when he runs out of building space? ???

I have about 11 more acres I haven't touched yet...  2 acres are going to be a vineyard soon so that leaves 9.  The acreage next door can be bought for another 10...  I'll be good for another 3-4 years!

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 10, 2010, 11:17:16 PM
Maybe he'll try going underground again but on a smaller scale. :)
Don't worry Glenn, I will.  I've got plans/dreams baby!  Not to mention I have always dreamed of having a cool home with secret passages and such.  Since my projects are too small to conceal any space in it, that leaves underground.  soon... soon.  d*

We're like twins, man..... I have secret passages too... shhhhh

I want one of those pictures on the wall I can look through the eyeholes in and look to the left and right... you know what I mean... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

phalynx

I played with my first backhoe 3 weeks ago.  I just have to talk Lil' bit into one.  I enjoyed it.  It was confusing for sure.  Took me a while to get the hang of it.  Deeper/better holes to come soon.

glenn kangiser

Make sure it has a loader bucket on it and I would suggest 4 wheel drive for your sand.

She knows you need it and secretly wants you to have it.... [waiting]

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

phalynx

poppy

Nice plan.  What are you mixing in that corner?  ???

phalynx

Quote from: poppy on January 11, 2010, 12:11:53 PM
Nice plan.  What are you mixing in that corner?  ???

Ha,,, you'll have to look back to see what.  But, here is a hint.

poppy

OK, I should have remembered.  Like the lava lamps.

speedfunk

Nice studio.  

I went to audio school for college.  Decided it wasn't for me but still enjoy recording.  

My big claim to fame so far is a ran sound (by my lonesome) for Rodger McQuinn of the Byrds this past year.   He was a nice guy to deal with.

looks like you have enough tracks for a big band ;)

too bad you have those Macintoshes taking up so much space  c*
just kidding.  

I have fixed enough macs for a long time .  grrr

phalynx

Quote from: speedfunk on January 11, 2010, 08:49:40 PM

just kidding.  

Would you believe that by day I am a Microsoft AD Architect?

Jens

"Building is actually fun and cheap."

well, I guess everything is relative
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

phalynx

Quote from: Jens on January 11, 2010, 10:26:02 PM
"Building is actually fun and cheap."

well, I guess everything is relative

Ok, building is relatively fun and relatively cheap.  It is actually both. 

speedfunk

Quote from: phalynx on January 11, 2010, 08:55:46 PM

just kidding.  

That is funny.  I know macs are supposed to be good for audio and video.  I've always used a PC for everything , the same apps are often available for PC. 

Audio and computer/network tech must go together.  I have my MCSE as well :)  I am diversifying though.  Last year I was consulting and put in a SLES domain PDC :)  It was a challenge but it's been running solid :)  WOrks with the Windows world quite well. 

phalynx

Quote from: speedfunk on January 12, 2010, 10:53:24 PM
Quote from: phalynx on January 11, 2010, 08:55:46 PM

just kidding.  

That is funny.  I know macs are supposed to be good for audio and video.  I've always used a PC for everything , the same apps are often available for PC. 

Audio and computer/network tech must go together.  I have my MCSE as well :)  I am diversifying though.  Last year I was consulting and put in a SLES domain PDC :)  It was a challenge but it's been running solid :)  WOrks with the Windows world quite well. 

HA,,, I actually went back to AD from my previous gig.  I was an Enterprise Storage Architect before for a huge company.  I hated the hours.  If you follow my thread you can actually tell the moment I switched back from storage architect to AD architect.  (It's when we went from slowly building a small cabin over 6 months to building an entire house shell in 4..   c*  I do like my current gig.  Great pay (not as much) but only need to work 40-50 hours per week instead of 90.

phalynx

Playing around a little more with the design.  In this version, the music equipment stays in the existing studio.  This allows a pool table and the ability to smoke a cigar in the "Cave" without damaging expensive studio gear and computers.  Any thoughts compared to the previous?  As usual Lil 'bit sits outside.  ???

poppy

Just some quick thoughts.

I would want a good view of the big screen from the bar.

What happened to the poker table?

Like the idea of pool table and cigar smoking.

Can you live without natural light or ventilation from the wall of little rooms?

phalynx

Quote from: poppy on January 13, 2010, 12:01:11 PM
Just some quick thoughts.

I would want a good view of the big screen from the bar.

What happened to the poker table?

Like the idea of pool table and cigar smoking.

Can you live without natural light or ventilation from the wall of little rooms?

There will actually be no windows in the building.  I want to absolutely control the dark for the movies.  The poker table will be there, just don't know where yet.  I had the screen and couches reversed for the very reason you stated (view from bar) but I need the little partition wall next to the speaker to even out the sound and having it on the other side would affect the pool playing ability.  I did decide, in this design, I would add a TV on the wall opposite of the bar.

Pine Cone

Shouldn't the Kegerator be in a more central location?

I'm a big fan of two doors as well, especially if there are no windows.

phalynx

Quote from: Pine Cone on January 13, 2010, 02:26:26 PM
Shouldn't the Kegerator be in a more central location?

I'm a big fan of two doors as well, especially if there are no windows.

Kegerator is stored in a closet and will be hosed to the bar itself.

muldoon

why are you hiding your kegerator?  another thing to consider about those long hoses; they have to balance and be tuned.  long beer lines require more pressure to serve the beer. 

Beer Line Resistance Guide
3/16" I.D. plastic beer line    2.7 PSI per foot
1/4" I.D. plastic beer line    0.7 PSI per foot
5/16" I.D. plastic beer line    0.17 PSI per foot
3/8" I.D. plastic beer line    0.11 PSI per foot
1/2" I.D. plastic beer line    0.025 PSI per foot

so, if you have 15 feet of beer line in 3/8 inside diameter, you need to push an extra 2 psi over your target ~ I like 6-7psi at the tap.  You also need to keep the temperature steady over the course of the beer line as it is outside the kegerator, so insulated lines - which are a pain to keep clean.  (you know you need to clean them every week right? )    As the beer warms, it releases co2 - which will lead to a cup full of foam on long beer line runs. 

Have you considered a chest freezer dressed up as a kegerator?  you dont have to have the tower, and can make it fit into your mancave pretty simply. 

phalynx

Muldoon, I had figured on doing insulated runs from the kegerator. It currently has 5/16" lines so I should be good on pressure.  We run about 8 psi right now and its just right with just the perfect amount of lacing.  I wanted to put the kegerator as close to the bar as possible to minimize the warm up of the beer.  I do have a freezerator though.  I built it several months ago and its beautiful.  I wanted to put it in a closet so it wouldn't be loud and made sure it would have enough room to get the kegs in and out.

Redoverfarm

I think I found you a new sound mixer for your addition.  But looking at it you might have to add on a little more to make it fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6MHpFIyjcY

phalynx

I just got off the phone with a spray foam insulation guy here in Austin.  He is going to spray the entire mancave with opencell (roof, walls, floor) and go ahead and spray 3" under the house as well. (I am tired of cold floors).  All of that for just over $3000.  I figure thats a pretty good deal based on what I have read about.

phalynx

Did a little work today.  In my mind I sure work a lot faster.  I thought for sure I would have all 4 walls up by tomorrow night.  Instead, I have 1 up tonight.  I guess I'll get 1 or 2 up tomorrow.  I did have to spend some time figuring out these new wall jacks.  I was terrified the wall would kick out from the bottom plate and fall on us.  No such incident occurred.  In fact, it seemed as safe as could be.  Absolutely the way to go.  Money well spent.  Here are the progress pictures from today.