Bigger windows or what PEG688 been up to lately.

Started by PEG688, January 27, 2009, 12:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Advanced staging techniques,  don't try this at home  :o

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

John Raabe

Very nice work Captain. They can keep a light in the window when they're out fishing.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

Quote from: John Raabe on April 11, 2009, 05:13:19 PM

Very nice work Captain.

They can keep a light in the window when they're out fishing.

Thanks.

There will be two each , 220 volt "crab lights", about a 8 or 10" in diameter fixture ,  mounted on the channel side to spot light the lower deck down on the old railway bed and the water :o

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

PEG688

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

You keep outdoing yourself, PEG.

Is that slate on the turret or lighthouse or whatever you call it? hmm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 11, 2009, 10:58:12 PM

Is that slate on the turret or lighthouse or whatever you call it? hmm

It's a turret that looks like a light house :)

It's real stone , cut sort of like bricks , or at least cut to  be laid  like brick . I'm not sure what it really is specifically.

The masons did a fine job !  As have all the trades , the painter are really good as well. All Ukrainians, the painters.   

rwanders

Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

firefox

That is what you call Leading by example!
Well done Sir!
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Terry

Terry

Born Free - Taxed To Death

PEG688

Thanks everyone 8)

Made some sill stock this weekend , the N. turrets got a few / many more details for the carpenter on this turret, no stone all wood.

Need wide sill ,

this is your jig , well really it's MY jig , but you get the idea d*

I used the table saw to get rid of some of the waste then plane to final size,

going in ,

Coming out ,

considerations

I love it PEG.  I wouldn't mind having the owner's budget on this project.   Malachite sinks, the works!

Must be nice to be working on a project where beauty is an important part of the process.  I'm impressed.

bayview

Thanks, for the picture on the planer jig . . . 

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

PEG688

This is what they meant by moving up in the company??   d* 

I got the larger sills installed Friday so now the upper windows can get wrapped. That process starters on Monday, hopefully I'll be done by the end of the week. Mitered corners out of 5/8 " Okoume plywood so the wrap looks to be one piece, so a notch "L" shaped cut around the window neatly cut as there will be no trim , the plywood panel will be the trim, so it's gotta fit tight / right. Then  the real trick is to mark the back of the mitered corner top and bottom , take the sheet  back down into the cut station I made to hold the plywood very flat and cut the 22 1/2 deg. miters , check the fit , back and front , all edge prime the  ply then reinstall for good.

Piece of cake right :)

Hopefully all not done fighting a 10 knot wind while walking 25 or 30 feet above ground  c*

Redoverfarm

Peg I would say the guy that laid the stone didn't have it much easier than you.  Looking good. Pumpjack scaffolding?

PEG688

Quote from: Redoverfarm on April 26, 2009, 11:24:03 AM

Peg I would say the guy that laid the stone didn't have it much easier than you.  Looking good. Pumpjack scaffolding?

Well that stone started on the ground and went up about 16 feet.

This turrets on the other side of the house, it has a wood deck about 5 ' above grade , then the lower floor about 12' then the roof over the lower floor that the pump jacks are sitting on , a standing seam metal roof that needed to be protected and also a pad layed down to stand the pole on, the poles then had to be held some how off the turret roof , also standing seam metal , access to the staging at times is via  ladder setup on the first floor metal roof.

So believe me the stone guys had it easier on the south turret than this North turret setup.

BTW the north side is on a channel/ water way into a oil refinery , east of the state ferry landing , it's quite cold even on warm days , generally the guys working on the south side / protected from the breeze , work in short sleeve shirts , while the north side guys are working with watch caps and heavy jackets.

Rarely is the south side colder , prevailing winds weather all hit the north side and bring that 45 deg. water into play, add a few knots of breeze and your teeth chatter!!! North is the Frazer river valley of BC.

PEG688

Things are moving up ,

The view ain't to shabby either ,

Sassy

Lookin good!  Is there a whole lot left to do?  Beautiful views... 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

PEG688

Quote from: Sassy on May 03, 2009, 04:34:02 PM

Lookin good!  Is there a whole lot left to do?  Beautiful views... 

About a month outside , one more of those bumped out gable end window set-ups with the swooped gable above.

Maybe more than a couple of  months,,,,,,,,,, if the street vacation we're asking for is granted , if that gets OK'ed the entry area (which I haven't shown yet, it's to the left or west of the south side (stone faced lower) turret) we could get three more months of outside work out of it.

Then we'll go inside after drywall is finished.  The inside is getting lots of pre drywall stuff going on as well right now.

PEG688

Well along with other things inside and out we took down the N. turret staging today so here it is without a bunch of monkey shine in the way.

One thing we did find when I thought Lets wash and clean off any caulking , paint , grime , junk ,etc that a window would normally do was 7 scratches on that most LH piece of glass , on the outside pane.

So we pulled the interior stops ,cut the glazing tape and caulk , then pulled the glass out scraped it clean , applied some tape so it can't re-stick to any glazing tape , or what ever we cleaned all the crap off , but it would only take a wee lil bit to stick the glass . Then we put the scratched piece back in place until the replacement piece comes in 4 or 5 weeks.

What a bitch that job would have been had we not caught the scratches BEFORE we pulled the staging down.

This way all the re-glazing can be done from the inside.

ScottA

Redoverfarm

Quote from: PEG688 on June 03, 2009, 10:39:25 PM

Well along with other things inside and out we took down the N. turret staging today so here it is without a bunch of monkey shine in the way.

Peg you left one in the ground floor door glass. ;D  Nice looking job.

PEG688

Quote from: Redoverfarm on June 04, 2009, 05:51:14 AM
Quote from: PEG688 on June 03, 2009, 10:39:25 PM

Peg you left one in the ground floor door glass. ;D 

That guy follows me around , sort a like a shadow or a reflection of my past self  c*

Thanks for the kind words folks.

glenn kangiser

That is a real work of art, PEG.  Thanks for the update.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.