Built Wrong From the Start

Started by Shelley, June 12, 2005, 10:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelley

Couldn't find the thread where someone asked.  Can't remember who asked it.  But, here's the article that I was remembering.

Fine Home Building.  May/June 2004.  Issue # 162.
Couldn't find the article online in the archives, but the back issue is available.  Can't look at mine to give you what the "ten" are.  All packed up.  Could do that next month.

Built Wrong from the Start: The Top Ten Building Blunders.As I remember it, was written by an inspector.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

Mudball

Is this what you were talking about ?
The dates don't match but I guess it could have been reprinted.
http://www.buzzburrell.com/bb/hownot.html

Shelley

That's a good article, but not the one I'm thinking of.

This had to do with carpentry, venting, mechanicals.
Things that are often done wrong by the pros and do not pass inspection.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

Mudball

Mudball

Building procedures
« on: May 8th, 2005, 7:47am »  Quote  Modify  Remove  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just started digging a hole for our basement. Could someone tell me what next steps I need to keep in mind or be planning for while digging the basement hole ?
Or does someone know of a procedure check list of things to do when building a basement ?
Thanks  

The above is what I had posted. Is that what and who you were talking about ?
Well if it was or not I would really like to find the article your referring to.
Thanks

Jimmy C.

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Dan

The 10 from the article are

1.  Vapor barrieers on basement insulation will rot your walls

2.  vented crawlspaces are moist enough to grow mushrooms

3.  ducts an dair handlers in attics waste money and suck in bad stuff

4.  using joists or studs for ductwork rots framing

5.  windows an ddoors without pan flashing create a water-injection system

6.  don't let brick wick water into walls

7.  stucco needs to drain

8.  without the right pathway conditioned air goes to all the wrong places

9.  aerodynamically coupled gas appliances can't expel all toxic gases

10.  unvented gas space heaters and firplaces produce combustion exhaust that doesn't belong inside

Daddymem

Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

John Raabe

This may be the link:

http://www.buildingscience.com/topten/default.htm

Remember that Joe is a colorful character prone to exaggeration. Many of the things he considers "dumb" (IE: Vented crawl spaces) are considered standard practice and even code required in many areas.

When I was doing seminars with him he would always get the audience worked up over one thing or another. Myself and my partners would then have to get folks calmed back down to everyday reality.

Just don't throw the baby out with the bath water. More important than what Joe thinks is what a long time builder in your climate has found that works. That's who can tell you when things are likely to be a real problem (as opposed to an imagined one).  ;D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Mudball

Are any of these correct Shelley ?
Thanks

spinnm

Dan's post would indicate that he had the magazine in hand.  I don't.  Packed away.

But, I thought the article was about common code violations written by an inspector.  Code violations that he often found in houses built by the pros.

These other links are great tho, aren't they?