Looks like Redover Farms might get a little snow

Started by peternap, October 28, 2012, 05:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Sandy hasn't even gotten here and we're getting damage. Could be a long week!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Karen and I are so happy to have missed Sandy.  :)

We could not see every forum member in VA, WV and TN but we did have a great visit with John (redoverfarm) and Don_P. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

I think it's going to be bad Don.
It's moving very slowly and the coast is getting battered now.

This is a few hours ago about 60 miles from me:

Tomorrow should be the bad day for me.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Peter I hope you are wrong.  I am so not ready but of course I never am.  It all depends on where it actually impacts. duration of it's visit (stall) and the meeting of the cold front from the west.  Forecast all all over the place as far as accumulation so I hold true to the best forecast I know. Just have to wait and see.   ;)

peternap

Got my fingers crossed for you.
I'd trade snow for wind any day though. :-\

peternap

Redoverfarm

Well here is the latest forecast.  Better change out the brush hog for the snow plow on the tractor.   ;D  We are about at the bottom of the photo.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Hmmmmmm....I spent all day yesterday going down the coast videoing the storm. There was a lot of water and it's still raining but very little wind. The power outages were few and far between and for the most part, in pockets.

From what I've seen and the reports I've gotten from real people, not talking heads.....Sandy was a non event in Virginia.

The temperature has dropped down to the high 30's and I had to fire up the stove, but other than that....nothing!

Redoverfarm

Looks as if we escaped the bullet with Sandy.  I say We meaning "Me" or my immediate area.  Probably 1" accumulation.  Now Snowshoe Resort some 30 miles north west received about 36" of snow. Elevation was the key.  They are nearly 2500 feet higher than at the house.  I have never lost power but the northern portion of the county has lost power and it is not anticipated to be restored for several days. If in fact Sandy were to have made landfall in the Outer Banks of NC it might have been a little different.  But I am sure I will catch up later in the year.  We have a long way to go until Spring is back.  Prayers go out to the some 63 families that lost love ones as a result of the storm.  We are fortunate.

peternap

Glad it missed you John!

Virginia was lucky and I was not looking forward to sitting out another night listening to 60MPH gusts....wondering with each one if a tree was going to come down.

I wanted to get to Tangier but as usual, couldn't get anyone to take me. I'd have loved to get a timelapse camera there.

I saw one picture and it showed water about thigh deep over the whole island. That happens frequently and the people take it in stride.

Redoverfarm

The aftermath of Sandy in West Virginia.  These were taken a few counties north of me.