Cabin project in east washington

Started by diyfrank, November 22, 2008, 11:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diyfrank

I go modern sometimes. I did last year and it was a little disappointing. Bear deer bobcat all open the 1st for bow and they have a late season for archery over there but not for modern.  Odds are a lot better and the way the land lays it's made for 50 yards & under. We'll see what this year brings. :)
Home is where you make it

OlJarhead

Quote from: diyfrank on August 16, 2010, 10:24:01 PM
I go modern sometimes. I did last year and it was a little disappointing. Bear deer bobcat all open the 1st for bow and they have a late season for archery over there but not for modern.  Odds are a lot better and the way the land lays it's made for 50 yards & under. We'll see what this year brings. :)

Bow season is definitely better then modern.  I've often thought it would be better to use a bow or black powder...but since I just went back to hunting a few years ago I'll stick with the rifle (which I know) and hope to benefit from its long range :)

Yonderosa

Nice!  Are you in 204?

Need to get a new rest for my bow, haven't been shooting it much so I'll probably have to go modern this year.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on August 17, 2010, 07:02:15 PM
Nice!  Are you in 204?

Need to get a new rest for my bow, haven't been shooting it much so I'll probably have to go modern this year.

Not sure if he is but I am -- think I'm not too far south of you -- speaking of which, seen any Elk in your area?

Yonderosa

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 17, 2010, 07:14:17 PM
Nice!  Are you in 204?

Not sure if he is but I am -- think I'm not too far south of you -- speaking of which, seen any Elk in your area?

No Elk yet   ??? - that would make my place perfect!  Lots of browse and Elk looking habitat, the welcome mat is out!  

Plenty of Moose though.  ;D  They're pets so there won't be any gut piles on my place.

I think you're north of me, I'm not far out of Omak.  I think Skagit is closest to me, then you, then Java and then diyfrank staying on 20

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

diyfrank

Nice!  Are you in 204?

Were in 201 Sherman.
 Speaking of moose I have this young guy that been hanging around.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on August 17, 2010, 07:58:55 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on August 17, 2010, 07:14:17 PM
Nice!  Are you in 204?

No Elk yet   ??? - that would make my place perfect!  Lots of browse and Elk looking habitat, the welcome mat is out!  

Plenty of Moose though.  ;D  They're pets so there won't be any gut piles on my place.

I think you're north of me, I'm not far out of Omak.  I think Skagit is closest to me, then you, then Java and then diyfrank staying on 20

Moose!  I LOVE Moose :) :D

All this time I thought you were North of me....hmmm....for some reason I thought the lakes you were fishing in were above me...

And I'm not far off 20 though it would be a LONG drive to use 20 to get to me unless you were on Horseback -- and then it would be long too *chuckle*....

Hidden I am ;)

considerations

A nice sized elk roast barded with good bacon and garlic cloves, a little huckleberry/whiskey sauce on the side....makes my mouth water. 

diyfrank

Quote from: considerations on August 19, 2010, 09:30:38 AM
A nice sized elk roast barded with good bacon and garlic cloves, a little huckleberry/whiskey sauce on the side....makes my mouth water. 

Sounds delicious!  :P

diyfrank

Well, I worked a little on the cabin this week in between hunting and managed to get the roof sheathed.

These guys had pretty much considered the place their home. I woke up many times with them running around me and refusing to leave.

The weather turned and started to get ugly. Time to get serious about things.  :-\

Windows and door went in and just as fate would have it, the generator stopped putting out! ???
I finished things up the old fashion way and hand cut and hammered the rest.

Yeah! the last nail! [cool]

I know the roof looks a little on the checkered side but this cabin is the result of three years of dumpster diving. I did spent $200. on ready mix and $100 on windows. At this point I think total out of pocket is around $500.

John Raabe

Pretty much shelled in for $500!  :o

Amazing progress considering the size of the crew and budget. Good work, now get it buttoned up. The coast is sending you some weather (cold and wet here in Puget Sound).

:D You may already know this. :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

diyfrank

Yes John, I believe summer is over..
With any luck I may have it ready before snow arrives.

JavaMan

Wow!  That's looking good!  And for only $500!  I've probably got close to 4 X that in mine already and not nearly as far along.  Good job!

MountainDon

Looking very good frank.

Any prognosis on the generator?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

diyfrank

Haven't taking it apart yet.  I tested the outlets and they had no current. There is a 12 v dc outlet and it was putting out around 9 v.
I'm hoping it may be the circuit breaker being broken and not anything marjor... It was working so good for so long. ???

diyfrank

I went to the cabin for a few days but I didn't do much as far as work. We had snow. :)
I picked up a small dozer 6 way blade with brush rake and had it delivered.  My plan is to build a car friendly drive way this spring (2 miles ) and do some fire prevention. I may pick up some road building from a few of the neighbors as well. I'll be busy come spring.

The generator problem was a broken wire connection to the slip rings. Very common according to the tech support, easy fix.

diyfrank

I retrieved a camera I forgot to remove during the hunting season. I had this bruiser on it. A real beauty, I counted it a 9x9

StinkerBell

Have you named this beautiful beast? I am thinking Blitzen!

diyfrank

Ha ha. I haven't named him but if still around next season I may call him "Lucky"
I've seen him up close twice so far, I hope he sticks around.

Yonderosa

I'd be looking for his sheds next spring.  What a stud.  I hope he had lots of girlfriends this fall.  I doubt he'd taste very good but man would he look good on the wall.  :)

What is he eatin around there?  Is there a farm nearby or do your neighbors feed deer?  Besides good genetics he looks well fed too.

That white on his face and around the eyes makes me think he's been around for a long while.  I'm kinda hopin' he'll last a few more years to get more pictures, then the fall before he'd starve you put a tag on him.  Monarch of a whitetail!

diyfrank

I've been getting started again after a very wet winter and spring. I've opened things up a little to allow a truck to drive around to the other side and will be building a rockery along my cut bank using native rocks. I'll also be building a new road in to allow car access.

I made some feet and hook to attach to my ladder for putting on my metal roof after some frustrating attempts at laying down the under layment.

It raised the ladder and made it easy to roll the underlayment past the ladder [cool]
It was also light enough to throw the ladder side to side to repossition

One question I have is 3"'s of over hang to much? I may have to trim it back a bit.

Redoverfarm

Frank the overhang will not hurt as long as you are not going to put up gutter.  If you are the water will over shoot the gutter.

diyfrank

Ok, thanks. I seen a barn near by with around 1' and the edge has been folded down from I assume snow.

rick91351

Quote from: diyfrank on July 18, 2011, 07:11:27 AM
Ok, thanks. I seen a barn near by with around 1' and the edge has been folded down from I assume snow.

Most likely snow and of course ice and icy snow.   ;) 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

JavaMan

Good to see you getting back at it, Frank!

The place looks like it's starting to take some shape.  The new drive looks good, too.