Home Designer Suite 2012 - good for the downloadable files from planhelp.org?

Started by duncanshannon, March 03, 2012, 10:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duncanshannon

Hi-

I'm getting VMWare Fusion 4 setup with Windows 7 at home in anticipation of buying Home Designer Suite 2012 (From Chief Architect) for $89 from amazon.

Does anyone know if this (current) version of the software will open the files that you can obtain on planhelp.org?

It seems that the older versions of the Home Designer work... wondering if anyone knows about the current version (2012).

Also... is the "Suite" a good edition to buy?  Full list of their Editions here...

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/products/

Thanks!

Duncan
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

Alan Gage

I spent $500 for the pro version (10) when I bought it. Don't regret it a bit.

That being said I've never used the non-pro version so maybe I'd get along just fine with it too. There is a ton of functionality in the pro version that I'll never use but the real reason I spent the extra money for it was for more control. I believe it offers more manual control than the $100 version and there's not much I hate more than software that makes decisions for me and doesn't let me do what I want.

Alan

duncanshannon

Hi Alan- Thanks for the response... You didn't build with CP plans right? So no idea if the 3DHA or what ever they are files from planhelp.org (that are the base templates for the CP plans) work in the current version eh?

The $500 version would be preferable... trying to avoid spending the extra $400 tho!

Duncan
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 

MountainDon

Which ones will produce drawings / printouts that can actually be used for construction?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Rensmif

Quote from: MountainDon on March 03, 2012, 11:42:24 AM
Which ones will produce drawings / printouts that can actually be used for construction?

That is the very question I was needing an answer, will be following this one for sure.

MountainDon

I have previewed a few brands up to the hundred dollar or so range and have never seen anything that compares to what I can draw on paper. That's why I ask. I have not looked at / used any of the $90 and up ones mentioned here.   I can also buy a lot of good quality drafting paper and pencil leads for what these cost.   I can be 'cheap' too.   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Danfish

If you want to save time and money stick to the paper and pencil as recommended by MountainDon.  This $100 version of CA Designer software does not produce construction or permit acceptable plans.  Many of the professional architectural design software companys offer these starter packages so you will soon find out you need to upgrade to their "real" design software (note their upgrade credit offers).

Unless you have an extensive design review requirement or just like to play with all the 3D available in the professional CAD architectural software, you could accomplish just as much with Google Sketchup.  Just be prepared for a lot of time spent on the learning curve.

Also be careful and make sure these software packages will work with Windows 7...there have been some problems.

Alan Gage

I don't know that the $500 version really does any better drawings than the $100 one. I think you need the full blown version for real architectural drawings. Elevations are easy though.

I'm laying out my kitchen now and have been using pencil and paper. Tried using the software but found the old fashioned way easier. I might find it easier to layout a whole house by hand now but when I was just starting the software was invaluable. I already had a floor plan I was pretty happy with on graph paper (after many revisions) but the software let me look at things in new ways that made a big difference.

Being able to place things like cabinets and furniture as something other than boxes helped me visualize it better and being able to look at things in 3d from different levels and angles showed me that some things that looked ok from a simple floor plan were a disaster from floor level. I'm sure these things would have been obvious at a quick glance to anyone with some experience but when you're starting from square one you need all the help you can get. Also very nice to quickly and easily move things like furniture, walls, and fixtures to try different layouts and configurations to see what works best in the space.

And it gives you a feel for what you'll see out your windows. How much of the view will the roof overhang on that covered porch block? And for the color coordinated challenged like myself it's nice to change floor, wall, siding, roofing, etc. colors to get an idea of what it will look like in real life.

Alan

John Raabe

The Chief Architect version 10 that I have will open the floor plan template files on PlanHelp. I also have Better Homes and Gardens Home Designer Suite version 6 and it opens the files. I think later versions of that program do as well, but have not tested version 12. Note that the template files are not full CAD files and do not have all the details of the paper plans.
More info on template files: http://www.planhelp.com/public/92.cfm

For doing full CAD details the Chief Architect is the better program, but for doing floor plan layouts and then using the details from the paper plans the simpler programs work fine. Many people (myself included) find that doing some hand drafting is easier than learning a complex program like a full CAD package.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

hpinson

I have HomeDesigner Suite 10, but not the Pro version. The "Suite" mainly has more template objects that you can use.  Different styles of fixtures and furniture, landscape objects, etc.

I like it a lot for sketching ideas.

The non pro version would not be adequate for developing plans for presenation approval, or printout. From what I understand, the Pro version will do that.  The non-pro version will do a materials list, though I'm unsure of accuracy. The object template library has about everything that you could need to visualize a structure.

You can see some floorplans and visualizations developed with it here:

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10231.msg130719#msg130719

The supported formats are: *.plan and *.pl1

It will import, to one degree or another: .3ds, obj, skp, bmp, jpg, png, dxf, emf  (YMMV)

I see no 3DHA import option (older or newer versions). Maybe convert somehow to a supported format like dxf or skp and then import.  Probably you would lose something in the process.

If someone has found a way to import the old 3DHA files, please let us know!

That said, I've been able to quickly learn it, and play with ideas.  It does seem to have some limitiations for things like lofts and porches.  There is an online support forum, which I've not used yet.

It was worth the $100 for me.  Not sure if I would go for the Pro version... would want to try it out first. Maybe they have an evaluation version?  More control (like Alan says) and the ability to develop and printer "real" plans would be nice!

Alan Gage

QuoteNot sure if I would go for the Pro version... would want to try it out first.

When I was getting ready to buy mine they had a free trial version of the pro software, don't know if they still do or not. If I remember it was fully functional, just couldn't save or print. Unfortunately the non-pro version wasn't available as a trial so you can't really compare them side by side.

Alan

John Raabe

hpinson:

I think the older 3DHA version 3 files should import fine as that program uses the *.PL(1=floor number) file format.

See if this 3DHA file imports: www.countryplans.com/Downloads/16x28.PL1.

You should be able to open the file as a floorplan. It does not have the foundation or roof information (PL0, PL2) so may give you an error message (it did so when I tried to open it but just keep clicking and it will open). This is part of the PlanHelp template file -  http://www.planhelp.com/members/programs/fileinfo.cfm?id=16

hpinson

Hi John. It imports  ;D with some library errors.  I'm not sure which you would consider critical, probably just ""Floor 2 is missing."  Hope that helps.

Here is the import error log:

.\Source\GenPlanInfo.cpp(1712): Warning #272011635
"Can't display 3D symbol D30_06 because could not find library file C:\Program
Files (x86)\Chief Architect\Home Designer Suite 10\Old-Libraries\DOORLIB.L3D.
Please make sure this file is in your "Old-libraries" folder."
3/5/2012 12:55:47 PM
Build: 10.4.3.5

.\Source\Cabinet.cpp(1380): Warning #272003803
"A zero width cabinet has had its width changed to one inch (2.5 cm)."

"Can't display 3D symbol Rng24G because could not find library file C:\Program
Files (x86)\Chief Architect\Home Designer Suite 10\Old-Libraries\FIXTLIB.L3A.

.\CAModel\MaterialsList\MaterialList.cpp(1840): Warning #272032156
"One or more objects reference an undefined material.  Undefined materials will not
generate correct material list entries.  Objects with undefined materials appear
in red when viewed in 3d."

"Can't display 3D symbol SngKit24 because could not find library file C:\Program

"Can't display 3D symbol RefMini because could not find library file C:\Program

"Can't display 3D symbol CrnrShwr because could not find library file C:\Program

"Can't display 3D symbol RndBath because could not find library file C:\Program

"Can't display 3D symbol Toilet because could not find library file C:\Program

"Can't display 3D symbol Beddub01 because could not find library file C:\Program
Files (x86)\Chief Architect\Home Designer Suite 10\Old-Libraries\FURNLIB.L3F.

"Can't display 3D symbol sqr3636 because could not find library file C:\Program
Files (x86)\Chief Architect\Home Designer Suite 10\Old-Libraries\FURNLIB.L3F.

.\source\Roof\BuildRoof.cpp(3009): Warning #272009062
"Floor 2 is missing."

"Can't display 3D symbol D30_06 because could not find library file C:\Program
Files (x86)\Chief Architect\Home Designer Suite 10\Old-Libraries\DOORLIB.L3D.
3/5/2012 12:55:56 PM

"Can't display 3D symbol SngKit24 because could not find library file C:\Program

3/5/2012 1:00:40 PM

John Raabe

Most of those library errors are furniture and cabinets that are in different places in the two programs. Was it a usable floorplan that you could edit once it came in?

Yes, with the floor 2 missing you will do a exterior view and see that the entire roof is missing. The full zip file at PlanHelp would have those other floors but still might have missing library items.

Here is the floorplan from 3DHA:

Here's an interior perspective shot

hpinson

Hi John. Here is what HDS10 rendered for a similar view.

And here is the Plan:

I can manipulate the Plan.  Useable? Yes.

John Raabe

Interesting.

You could probably replace the appliances, doors and windows from the HD libraries and have the 3d views look more realistic. But the plan looks workable.

FWIW: The old 3DHA version 3 deluxe still does a nice job if you can run it. It was actually version 2 of Chief Architect and was designed to run on Windows 98 - it runs fine on XP but not Win7 (unless you have the Professional or Ultimate versions that run in XP Mode).

duncanshannon

Well... thanks for all the discussion.

I'm downloading my digital purchase of Home Designer Suite 2012 right now.  Running on Windows 7 (x64) on VMWare Fusion 4 for the record (on a 2011 Mac Mini).

Duncan

duncanshannon

I finally have HD Suite 2012 running on VMWare Fusion 4 (on a Mac Mini running OS 10.7.3) and i had the same basic errors and the screen shots are the same after a quick comparison.

Duncan