Finally bought some land...

Started by Adam Roby, April 08, 2015, 02:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

Thanks for sharing......  I so remember when I posted an obituary for my dad on here.  Strange it was just something I had to do.  No one knew him on here.  No one really knows me on here.  Yet I felt the need to share my grieving with my friends here.  Sort of weird I thought at the time.  However in some ways over the years of hanging out here some people stay very singular and private build a cabin or such and are gone.  Others sort of become more than just that.  I do sort of wonder if this type of media has become the new lodge or the corner bar that you hit on the way home for a cold one.

So with that said - sad to read of you loss.  Hope you can complete his journey in life by building him a cabin.  I smile to myself at times something I say or a cough or a sneeze now that sounded just like my dad.  He may be dead but he is far from gone.  I might also add that is one reason we built the house up here we did.  Mom and dad always wanted to return to the ranch.............       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Adam Roby

Yup, just felt like I had to get it out.  I am not on Facebook or Twitter (not ever sure what that is), I don't usually share anything with anyone... just felt right here.  And I am sure there are plenty of us who got their desires for cabins from our fathers (or mothers) so can relate.  I also know the vast majority of you are mature, nice honest people... some other forums you might get some negative replies.  I remember reading another obituary here, I believe it was from you. 

Trying to remember the good times... the smiles... the corny jokes.  I get told often that "you are just like your Dad". 

tommytebco

I am sorry for your loss. May the memories of your Father help you find peace.

Tom

Adam Roby

Thanks for all the kind words.  Funeral was this past weekend... was hard but we must go on.

I got a call today telling me that the closing date is now set for June 5th.  If there are no more delays, I will finally have my deed to my 7.5 acre lot.
Then I got a call from my surgeon.  Surgery on my spine is scheduled for June 16th, and I am to expect 4-6 weeks of recovery time.
There goes my summer...  but, maybe next summer I will be well enough to work the new land.  Have to remain positive! 

Adam Roby

I am wondering how appropriate a post/beam construction would be for a standalone roof.

Been doing the math, and unless I want to wait another 8-10 years before being able to build my cabin, I may need to initiate plan B - parking a trailer on my land to use in the interim.

One of the main problems I see with the trailers are their very flat roofs.  Every one I have seen parked on a parcel of land somewhere remote wind up getting leaks in the roof and the subsequent water damage takes very little time to completely destroy the trailer.

If I go this route, I want to be able to build a roof system over the trailer to allow for some extra protection.  On one hand I don't want to overdo this since, well, add a couple walls and you have a cabin, but I also don't want to cheap out and have to redo it every year.

I see two basic methods when searching the internet.  The first is building a roof onto the existing roof. 
(This is not exactly how I would do it but it gives a general idea)

The second method is to build something free-standing, that the trailer could technically be pulled out from should it need to be (and thus not causing any damage to it and keeping it resell-able if needed). Again I would not do it quite like this but to give an idea...

And an extension to that idea would be to make the roof wider than the actual trailer, allowing for a covered deck, possibly screened off porch to exist under there as well, but at least a deck that can remain mostly dry.

I don't see a foundation as being a workable idea for this kind of structure.  Post and beam seems like the only real choice here (also if this will be temporary I don't want to have to remove it later).  There would be typical snow bearing loads, but much less lateral loads since there are no walls.  I figure there would be a much higher need for uplift resistance with this kind of build.  So I wonder if those deck screws that go 48" into the ground would be something to consider for this kind of a build?  Or maybe a post every 4', one sonotube/cement/post - one screw/post - etc (so alternate between them)?

If I go through with this idea, I wonder if this would be a breading ground for bees and critters, wanting to live on my trailer roof since it is being protected from the elements. Would that potentially usable space be suitable for battery storage (close to the solar panels if placed on the roof)?  I don't have any plans yet, I wanted to get some feedback and ideas before making a basic plan, so I can cost it out and see if it makes sense before going through with any trailer purchase.  This would likely be a next summer project since my surgery is in a couple weeks... but might be nice to plan it over the winter so I am ready to go as soon as the snow melts next spring.

rick91351

Adam there are lots of places up in the mountains of Idaho that people put those trailers under a cover as in your second photo.  They work very good.  Some get very elaborate with wind brakes and shade panels where needed and screened porch to the one side.  The way we built our deck on the trailer pad was to side it. If we are going to pull it out to go somewhere we pull the deck away from the trailer.  When we return I back it in and we just slide the deck back over.  In the winter there is a need to climb up there and scrape the snow off.  So wondering about just taking both fifth wheels down and parking them in the valley where there is not much snow or under cover at a rental storage place.  We have two a little one and the big one.  Love pulling the little one.....  We can just fly with it and actually at times just the same fuel mileage.....     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

We see people using the factory made metal carport shelters for trailers.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

UK4X4

nothing wrong with a bit of snow and a 5th wheel !

Ours was on site for 4 winters, only problem was the mice ! even though we'd filled in all the holes

We set a deck to one side and would have done a stand alone roof like the second photo above if we intended to keep it there long term.

For us obviousl issues were the snow and the sun,,,having it sat in the same position meant some of the graphics faded and some did not.

We would stay in the trailer even in the winter for our annual ski trip,, 3-4 weeks normally.
the rv would be winterised in autum, and when we visited we used bottled water for everything, then used a portable dump tank for the black and the grey was filtered and dumped into a drainage ditch.
Biodegradable soap for washing and a small plant sprayer instead of the flush.
We never put toilet paper in the tank, we had a seperate bin for that, and we did the tank dump on sunny days

Cleaning off the top of the slides after every snowfall was some work, but meant they didnt get iced up for the day we packed up.

We did get some water damage from one of the slides, where a moulding had popped and water got behind it and then ran along a aluminum strip and into a corner of the camper, we remidied it as soon as we saw the water but it had probably been leaking up to 6 months.

A good solid roof over the camper would have been an excellent idea, but the HOA certainly would not have been happy !

Adam Roby

This area has no HOA to worry about (very rural - very country side), and I am in from the road probably 1500'-2000' and the trailer would probably be in the center of a 7.5 acre lot so chances are nobody would even see it to worry about it.  That also means no access from the first snowfall to the dry period of the spring/summer.  I would like to go up in the winter to remove snow at periods but have to be realistic and account for not being able to get up there, so the more protection I can add the better.

My buddy's trailer sprung a leak, and the water quickly made a soft spot in the floor which a raccoon (presumably) found and dug up through the floor and lived in there for the winter.  When we got to the trailer in the spring the entire thing was pretty much unusable.  The critter(s) had defecated everywhere, broken everything in site, tore apart all the furniture (sofas and beds and the like) to make dens.  Just the smell of urine in there is enough that we will have to rip out all the floors, probably the walls due to wet insulation/mold, and completely redo the roof.  Probably be cheaper to scrap it and buy another trailer.  I want to avoid all of this (or at least limit the chances) by building a full roof over the existing roof, to have double the protection.

Yours is a nice 5th wheel, are/were you completely off the grid in that, even in winter?  I wondered how warm they would keep on propane heat alone, and how much it would cost per day to keep it comfortable.

UK4X4

we had a raccon in the gas bottle bay one of our visits and they scirmished through regularly looking for stuff, but luckily the never got inside....

we did fully off grid for 2 of the winters with the petrol onboard generator and another 2 running an extension lead from the newly installed mains board.

Propane was our only heat, till we had the electric on , then we used a couple of small electric heaters during the night, we like it cool anyway for sleeping, with the electric on we then used the garage at the back too for our daughter

During the day the big main windows kept the whole thing warm, we only needed heat on cloudy days and at night.

Nights we put up double bubble on all the windows as they were only single skin.

We survived quite happily for the vacations, long term we would have fitted a wood burner in the garage and added some ducting.

Sadly the trailer is no more, we sold it to get the heating done fully water tanks, electric and plumbing roughed in, septic - burried propane and septic tank....and insulation done in the house.

So instead of a 5 star trailer we now can live in the house...sorry camp !

midrover170

Folks around here call what you're describing "traibins" (get it?).

As Rick said, a lot of them in Idaho and they seem to work well.

~D

Adam Roby

"Traibins"... nice.  Yeah I think a cabin would be best, but I would much prefer a camper/trailer than nothing at all.  Many folks (and people I know) turn their noses to the idea, but if a camper means I can be in the woods soon than later then it's a winning idea for me!  I could also technically use the appliances from the trailer if/when I do build.  I like the idea of being 100% off grid, don't believe in TV's or even music when I am in the woods, nature is my entertainment.  I would consider some electronics to keep my 5 year old quiet, but only when I am getting desperate. 

NathanS

My wife and I spent 7 months traveling around the US in a trailer. A few things -

All the plumbing will be unusable in a northern NY winter.
If you build the over-roof around the trailer, make sure you can get the trailer out if you want to use/dump the holding tanks.

The roofs on trailers are usually a rubber membrane. These fail after 10-15 years. Also, all the caulking needs to be checked once a year as it will crack and leak over time.

I don't necessarily think you need to build a roof over top the trailer if you take care of it.

In my opinion, building a car port for the trailer wouldn't be a bad way to go. Once you have the money to put up your cabin, you'll still have a useful structure.

Adam Roby

For plumbing, I figured on building an outhouse and keeping my chemical toilet in there mostly for the 3:00 am pitstops.  Its easy enough to bring back and forth to empty and clean.

I haven't seen the newer trailers, I remember them all having aluminum roofing.  Most likely like you say it would hold up if I maintain it right, would just hate to show up in spring with a big mess.  The structure would probably lend itself well to a picnic table area or somewhere for guests to set up tents.. or as a car/tractor port.

After 7 months, were you fed up of it?

midrover170

If this is the route you go, maybe look into composting toilets a la the Humanure Handbook (easy enough to find and free). I built the same concept for our little camper that we keep at the build site. We keep ours inside, it's effortless and never stinks. All you need is a responsible place to stash the compost. I think you have over 7 acres so probably not a problem.  ;)

Adam Roby

NathanS

Quote from: Adam Roby on June 02, 2015, 09:10:34 PM
For plumbing, I figured on building an outhouse and keeping my chemical toilet in there mostly for the 3:00 am pitstops.  Its easy enough to bring back and forth to empty and clean.

I haven't seen the newer trailers, I remember them all having aluminum roofing.  Most likely like you say it would hold up if I maintain it right, would just hate to show up in spring with a big mess.  The structure would probably lend itself well to a picnic table area or somewhere for guests to set up tents.. or as a car/tractor port.

After 7 months, were you fed up of it?

I loved traveling in that trailer. After 7 months we wanted a home base. Some land to start a homestead and all that good stuff.

:)

rick91351

We lived in a fifthwheel for about two years....  Traveled a little...  Snowbirded down south around Yuma and Quartzite with half of Canada.  They spent most of their time down there so it seemed, looking for good deals on pick ups - vans and trailers ie flat bed and utility.  When they scored they would make a wild run for Canada and do it all over.....  What y'all do with that stuff up there????

Following year we were working inside the house.  Then it was mainly meals and a quick shower and in to bed....  Few days were zero (F) Those trailers can get cold at zero.  We were running the furnace and two space heaters.  Furnace was running to mainly to heat the chase they run the plumbing next to.  In all the zero and close to it we never froze it up!!!   

Adam Roby

Pickups eh?  Hmmm...  need to look into that.  :)  Most of our retired folk spend 6 months in Florida.

So, been drawing up some ideas for a trailer port.  Looked at the metal ones but they cost over $5000.

I have some ideas for bracing using a "sandwich" technique, with 3x 2"x6" for the posts...

(X-Ray Vision courteous of Don)

Not sure how I could brace it side to side though, given that I would need to drive the camper in and out.
The narrow side would have a deck on it, and bracing could be done there... just throwing around some ideas.

Adam Roby

Well, 11 pm, alarm set to 4:30 am... back surgery tomorrow morning.
I am a little aprehensive, but eager to see the results.

See y'all on the flipside.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Thoughts and prayers go with ya' my friend.  Speedy recovery and you might be pain free. ;)

Adam Roby

The surgery went well, doctor said it was one of the biggest hernias he had seen and it was very hard, so quite likely that the nerve damage will be permanent.  There are two more damaged discs in that area but he was not able to do anything for them.  The plan is to let me heal for 6 months, and see how the muscles are able to compensate for the other damages.  There is another region of 3 degenerated discs higher up on my back that worry him.  He said it would likely require a synthetic disc replacement, and screwing the other two discs together (fusing).  He wants to avoid this if at all possible, because it will mean many many months of recovery with very little potential relief form pain.

It has been 4 days now.  Still cry most mornings when I wake up from the pain... but it is subsiding quicker now than it did earlier on.  They prescribed Dilaudid, supposed to be much stronger than Morphine.  I do not take well to pain meds, so have been cutting them in 1/4 and taking them every 1.5-2 hours rather than a full dose every 4-6 hours.  At first was very nauseous but am starting to get more used to them.  Bandages come off tomorrow, a little worried what I will find but will be glad to be allowed to finally shower.

Cabin/land plans on hold until further notice.  Return to work only scheduled for August 3rd!  Not allowed to ride in a car for 2 weeks, not allowed to drive for an additional 2-4 weeks afterwards.  Gonna be a long and boring summer in the city.

DavidRaftery

Hope you are feeling a little better each day. When you are healed up and your doctor lets you exercise again, give Foundation Training a try. It was developed by a chiropractor who had back problems himself. The idea is to strengthen the posterior chain. There are basic videos on Youtube and on the Foundation Training website.
Dave
Dave Raftery

Adam Roby

Thanks for the advice.  I am also planning on seeing my physio therapist for a list of core muscle strengthening exercises (once my surgeon gives me the OK).

One nice thing about living in Montreal, it's only a 1.5 hour drive to Mont Tremlant, so we decided to come up here for a few days to help with the recovery.