14x24 in the Black Hills

Started by mpls_ham, September 21, 2010, 01:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpls_ham

My wife and I purchased 6 acres in the northern black hills november 2009 and I thought that I would post my progress to all of you since I've learned so much from all of your projects. We spent the bulk of the summer figuring out where to build, cutting timber and drinking beer by the fire.  My first priority of spring is to move the "office" that I built last winter onto the property.

We also moved a pop-up onto the property

This is the drive into the property (my boys are on the bikes).

Thats all for now. I hope this linking of pics actually works ???
Northern Black Hills - South Dakota

mpls_ham

The second weekend after I hauled up the camper, we pulled into this  :(

Well I know what you all are saying is "Why would you set up anywhere near a dead tree" d*.  All I can say is that after the initial set-up I realized my error and plan on moving the camper this weekend.  My stupid logic was that the tree had been there for 30 years, whats one weekend more gonna hurt. ouch.  After talking my wife (off the ledge) and explaining to her "at least we weren't sleeping in there" (didn't help things) she calmed down a little.  The upside of things were that the tree was so punky that it only stabbed 5 holes in the ceiling and did not affect the operation of the camper so I mended it with flashing and roofing silicon.  The downside is that our $4000 camper value is a big loss.  Insurance won't cover it :-\

mpls_ham

After locating our build site I got started a few weeks ago.  My hope is to be dried in before winter sets in.  I purchased the "Whole Enchilada" kit from this site last spring and it has been a great help.  The only major change is that I am using the post frame method.  I finally remembered to bring the camera this last weekend so here is my progress:
Front view lookin north:

Oh yeah....I tweaked my back carrying the 3/4" subfloor onto the deck during a windy day and was sentenced to 3 days on my living room floor with back spasms :-\

Don_P

That certainly is a well braced "pier" to work from. Any more detail photos or descriptions of the floor system connection to the posts would be appreciated.
We built 7 houses out there one year, almost bought some property, I really like the hills. Where are you near?

mpls_ham

The holes are 46" deep with 4" of crushed gravel.  The posts are 2x6 glued and spliced together. The 24' sides of the posts have a 2x12 lagged into the inside. A 2x10 joist system sits on top.  The cabin is not far from O'Neill Pass or about 22 miles west of Deadwood.

mpls_ham

Ready for sheathing.....i think.  Weather permitting, I hope to have it knocked off by tomorrow.

glenn kangiser

Nice looking area.  What a time for a snag to decide to fall.... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

A nice spot. Going to be a nice cabin too. Hope the future firewood falls further away next time.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

mpls_ham

Here is my latest progress as of last weekend..... I hope.  We have had 48 hours of 40 to 50 mph wind gusts and I have a sick feeling that my rafters have uninstalled themselves. 

nathan.principe

Its really shaping up to look good! I think your fears are typical of a builder, I often second guess everything I do and have a phobia that I will return to my place and something will have collapsed, but I wanna say that you did good by installing the sway brace, that should hold things in place

cabinfever

+1 to what Nathan said. Actually, I still pull in thinking I'm going to find a disaster or some sort - it doesn't necessarily end once its built!

JRanch

Very nice cabin, I look forward to watching your progress.

mpls_ham

Well I drove up to the project today expecting to salvage what was left of the rafters and beam and to my surprise it held up.  Had to chain up the truck to get through the drifts.  I spent half of the day shoveling out the cabin and the other half putting up the upper gable studs.  Not much progress but still elated and relieved to be moving forward and not back.

PA-Builder

Project looks great MPLS !

Glad you didn't suffer any damage.  Once you get the roofing on, everything will be much more secure, and you will be able to rest a lot easier.

OlJarhead

Glad to see you survived the winds and snow!  I remember racing up to the cabin (4 hrs one way) to check tarps and pray...only to do it again if I didn't get up to work on it....was a fretful time but we survived and I'm sure you will -- enjoy the experience!

mpls_ham

Ready for felt!  If any of you have done this on a 12/12 roof alone or with help don't be afraid to chime in.  My plan is to build a makeshift scaffolding so I can lay the first two courses and then dig my toes into a 20' 2x4 the rest of the way.  Also did anyone experience extreme muscle soreness after lugging sheathing 11 feet up a ladder and hanging like a monkey while shooting staples?? ;-)

Squirl

d

handyman

We screwed 2 X 4 toe boards across the roof to climb on,about 3ft. apart.  Next we cut the tar paper just a little long and laid it horizontally, working down the roof, sliding the next course under the one above.  The plastic capped nails for tar paper help with wind damage.
Safety First                       

dug

QuoteAlso did anyone experience extreme muscle soreness after lugging sheathing 11 feet up a ladder and hanging like a monkey while shooting staples?? ;-)

Yep! I got to know that ladder well. A side benefit though, at the end of the day a cold beer never tasted better.  8)

Don_P

I nail 2x4 toeboards to the roof and work either way, up or down. Main reason for responding is to mention that screws can shear under this load. I had a helper take a trip down the roof this way. Nails bend, screws snap.

MountainDon

scaffolding nails make removal easy. I think ease of removal is one reason some folks like screws.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

mpls_ham

Well I got the house wrapped about 3 weeks ago and just made it.  The snow is too deep for my pick-up.  I plan to ski/snowshoe in periodically this winter to check on it.   c*

mpls_ham

Well I snowshoed in to the the cabin this last weekend to check things out and do a little electrical work.  The snow was about 4' deep and the gale force winds made it interesting but I made it.  I packed in about three loads of supplies in a duluth pack and my tracks had vanished each time I made a trip.

mpls_ham

Question: What is the easiest way to install rafter ties as level/straight as possible?  I attempted to nail up the two ties at the ends and run a chalk line.  I plan to use T&G knotty pine on the ceiling and I want to be sure it comes out relatively straight.  Will an inch or more of variation bite me in the butt later on? :-\