18 x 26 garage/workshop

Started by Kris, October 01, 2011, 10:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

i know most people on here are focusing on cabins..none the less here is a garage/workshop i am starting...
18 x 26

Danfish

Off to a good start!  Buildings are buildings and we all learn from them regardless of the structure type...keep posting and give us details on techniques, unusual problems, etc.

Kris

so far stuff is going along good,,,the one issue will be dealing with a power line that is currently in the way of the roof line.....i might have to connect the power to the garage and then trench to the back of my building...saskpower will let me know this week what the rules are on that one.....

Kris

slab and framing,,,,,,walls should be up after the weekend.............sask power came by and the power line is not much of an issue,,so that is a relief....

Sassy

Looking forward to seeing your progress   :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Kris

3 walls up in this photo........got the 4th up yesterday,,,and some rafters....she is coming along.....

Kris

got a little more work done today.

Kris

i have a question if anyone wants to help me on this one........i installed a drip edge along the base of the roof and plan on shingling tomorrow......question..should i have a drip edge around the whole roof??...or is it fine just on the base of the roof...???..

MountainDon

On the eve edge (the horizontal lower edge) the drip rail should be under the roofing felt or whatever underlayment you are using. On the rake (the sloped edge on a gable roof) the drip edge should be applied over the roofing felt.

The drip edge will help preserve the roof sheathing by keeping water from soaking into the wood sheathing.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Kris

duncanshannon

Looking good Kris.   w*

I'm dreaming of a cabin in a few years... not building one yet.  That hasnt stopped me from posting my projects - new windows/siding on half of my house. Next summer a 10x12 shed somewhere (home or on cabin site) tbd. 

We love pics... keep it coming!

You seem to be progressing very smoothly... you must have some experience in this stuff?!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

Kris

2 hours before a big snow storm,,,i was shingling like mad,,and had some help from a lovely lady........

building is getting wrapped...got 2 windows in and now just waiting for the walk in door to arrive....and then its time to figure out the garage door........

i didnt have any real experience with building so i picked up some books, and started swinging a hammer, (and looked at projects on here}...
my first project, the icosa cabin was very complicated and lots of little errors..my 9 x 12 shed was a big improvement and now the 18 x 26 garage seems to have gone pretty smooth.....i hope to build a new home,,so i am trying to work out my learning curves on smaller projects.. i hope to tackle another cabin next spring.. one with a loft..i havent tried building anything with a second story yet.........

duncanshannon

ahhh. you are the icosa guy.  cool project.  nice progression to the garage/workshop.

i'm in a similar boat...no real experience. going to build up to a cabin in a few years.

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

mariusberger

Hi Kris,
Hope you'll read my question!
I'm planing to build the same garage. Same 18'x26'size and same 16' door on the 26' length.
I then have a question about your beam above the garage door: did you build it yourself? Have it done? It looks like 2x8 that I figure glued and screwed.
Please let me know so I can plan having mine done.
Thank you,
Marius

rick91351

First off Marius  w* from Rick in Idaho. 

I don't know if Kris is following - last post on this project appears was in 2011 but is around.  So I will try and answer your question.  Hopeful Kris will jump in here.  You might personal message him as well.   

Quote from: mariusberger on May 12, 2014, 12:25:34 AM
Hi Kris,
Hope you'll read my question!
I'm planing to build the same garage. Same 18'x26'size and same 16' door on the 26' length.
I then have a question about your beam above the garage door: did you build it yourself? Have it done? It looks like 2x8 that I figure glued and screwed.
Please let me know so I can plan having mine done.
Thank you,
Marius

The beam above the garage door is laminated veneer lumber better known as LVL.  They come in various sizes and thicknesses.  The one in the photo to me looks like a ten inch.  It would be doubled - glued and nailed.  This could be done in place or on the ground and lifted up.  If you do so on the ground you will need a lot of power to get 'her' up there as you can image.  It can be even done with some rent a jacks.  Your local building supply can order you what ever need or might have it in stock.  He also used LVLs in his headers by the way

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.