14 x 14 Texas House with 8 x 10 addition.

Started by steve_wolverton, February 24, 2011, 12:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duncanshannon

cool project!  [cool]

welcome to the forum!   w*

this looks like a residential neighborhood, is it?  can you tell us about the land / zoning work you had to do?
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

steve_wolverton

Quote from: duncanshannon on February 24, 2011, 07:41:04 PM
this looks like a residential neighborhood, is it?  can you tell us about the land / zoning work you had to do?

Actually, I'm out of the city limits.  I had to comply with county.  The house measures 14 x 14 so it was 196 square feet.  Any building under 200 square feet doesn't require permit here.  The addition is 8 x 10 and was installed about a year later.  The permit for addition states any addition less than half the square footage/cost of the original house doesn't require permit. 

;)

steve_wolverton

Quote from: John Raabe on February 24, 2011, 06:17:38 PM
Very nice floor plan. Good use of space.

For braces 2x6 would be fine - brace to post and beam and then joists to post. You want to counteract sway from wind or earthquake from either direction. Triangles do this. You can also use metal straps and clips to strengthen these connections.

Thanks.  We don't get earthquakes, but we do get hurricanes.   :-\

duncanshannon

cool stuff.  i like the industrial/modern interior. would love to see more pics of the stuff you think is pretty cool if you get some spare time!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

steve_wolverton

Quote from: duncanshannon on February 24, 2011, 09:05:37 PM
cool stuff.  i like the industrial/modern interior. would love to see more pics of the stuff you think is pretty cool if you get some spare time!

Sure - I'll try and grab a few more pics this weekend.  I'm going to build an equipment rack under the stairs and also work on some drywall.  I hate all the drywall work, but I'm liking the results. 

steve_wolverton

I decided to open the stairs today.  I also built an equipment rack to house the electronics out of 3/4" MDF.  The equipment rack is angled toward the couch.  I'm picking up more drywall tomorrow.

speedfunk

Really cool place there.  Great job so far.  Also great way to do the original house at 200 (no permit) then the addition with no permit!!!!  People can def learn from that   Its silly you have to play these games at all but until it changes. 

hpinson

I really do hope you take the advice here and add some bracing, earthquakes or not, wind is everywhere.

MountainDon

Most of the USA land area is rated for 90 mph winds, on a mean 50 year recurring basis. The balance is rated higher. The closer to the coasts the higher the potential. Many areas in the western mountains require special consideration due to topography.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Angie

Hey everyone, I have been reading this site for some time now. I am 40 yr old female with no building exp at all. After reading this site I see that anyone can and should do this.

Steve I love your design for your little house. Of all the house's on here so far your floor plan is great and seems like It would be easy to get around. Since you have stairs that access the upstairs. I love your pics. My only main question is about How much do you think you spent to build.

But your house looks great...congrats

glenn kangiser

Very nice job, Steve.  Wonderful  little house.

I'm with Don on the bracing, especially if the ground gets sticky and soft very deep.  We had one member who built in a swale and  didn't brace.  The ground softened.  His house leaned over to where he decided to tear it down.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

steve_wolverton

Hi All,

Just a few updates.

I dug up some old concrete that my mom had poured as a sidewalk on the property about 28 years ago.  I busted it up, and then placed it smooth side down as a walkway from my drive to the house.  That's some recycling right there. 

steve_wolverton

I finally got under my house and attached some bracing to the post.  I used 2x6's on all corners.  Ignore that little T-strap on the post - it's not there anymore.  I used that to hold the beam in place while building - it now has a 6" post/beam galvanized strap.

steve_wolverton

Another summer project was to replace the aging septic lines.  The system was installed 28 years ago and would begin backing up in the winter when it was really wet, so I decided to take advantage of the Texas drought and replace them.  Rented a mini-excavator and dug up the old and replaced with new.  Found some root sock material that's supposed to keep roots from growing into the lines so I used that.  It's like a huge pipe condom. 

While digging up the system I found the outlet wasn't even connected to the tank.  It had sheared. 

steve_wolverton

I've decided to make a killer shower for two, so I'm in the process or changing the bathroom.  The current shower I have is a fiberglass 32" square shower.  I'm going to build a 42" x 48" shower with corrugated metal and glass entrance.  I'm building my own fiberglass shower pan and will also make a teak sitting bench.  To pull it off I need more clearance in the bathroom, so I framed a recess under the stairs for the toilet. 

By recessing the toilet I will have more room for a floating vanity and plenty of room for the large shower. 

steve_wolverton

I finally got the Hardiplank on the addition.  I also got the addition skirting installed. 

I got the house insured.  I had a difficult time finding someone to insure the house for Windstorm since I was the builder and I didn't have a Windstorm rating.  I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, so hurricanes are what we get to deal with.  To get a Windstorm rating you have to have a build permit (which my house didn't because it's too small) and inspector's come out periodically to inspect for hurricane straps, etc.  After driving around and trying 6 or 7 agencies, I finally got it taken care of through Nationwide Insurance.  They insured the house (42K replacement) and sent Windstorm inspectors to get my Windstorm insurance.  I just got a letter a week ago saying that it's now covered with Windstorm Insurance.  It costs me more because I didn't go through conventional route ($46 month), but I sure sleep better during hurricane season now that it's covered.   :D

chris2013

Steve, it is fantastic what you did with this place.

I loved the balcony. Did it get scrapped to make room for the a/c? What were your thoughts on the balcony while you had it?