14 x 15 Hand Hewn Cabin

Started by MadisonsDad, October 24, 2008, 01:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Not that this is a great solution but you could strap brace down to the floor joist - you would lose some room width which I assume you want to keep as well as height of the room.  Possibly a beam under the ridge board supported at the ends? or not enough height?  Room for substantial collar ties? Just ideas

The pushing out will occur at the top of the pony wall as the rafters try to spread and push the top of the walls out.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MadisonsDad

There's gonna be collar ties installed.  I understand exactly what you guys are saying and I will address it as when I get back to working on it.

PEG688

Quote from: MadisonsDad on November 28, 2008, 02:31:00 PM

There's gonna be collar ties installed.  I understand exactly what you guys are saying and I will address it as when I get back to working on it.

Good I'm glad we didn't Pi$$ you off , but we just want to point out what MIGHT go wrong.

Any plans for knee walls inside of the exterior wall? For storage closets / built in dressers? If so some trianglization , tying the joist back up to the existing pony wall , or sheathed walls inside the closets , also tied to the joist to add sheer or racking strength MIGHT be able to be incorporated, even if the closets are small it would / could help.

Any interior crossing walls ? That could maybe do the same thing??

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MadisonsDad

Your not gonna p** me off, I appreciate your thoughts and ideas, Like I said in the beginning, I don't pretend to be a carpenter.

Peg668 your advice on this site is the reason I'm here.

Haven't thought much about small closets or shelves up there but I can see how some angle bracing on the inside from joists to pony wall would certainly help.

I was cruising pretty good for a few days on the cabin, then stopped to decide about the dormer. By the time I figued out I was gonna go with a Shed style and how to do it, the weather took a crap up here and after that I've been hauling grain.  I'm hoping to get back on it next week and get the roof done at least. I have a small window of opportunity to pull it out to the river on skids with the big 4WD tractor or else I will likely be doing it with more snow than I want and colder temps.

PEG688

Quote from: MadisonsDad on November 28, 2008, 02:59:35 PM

Your not gonna p** me off, I appreciate your thoughts and ideas, Like I said in the beginning, I don't pretend to be a carpenter.

Peg668 your advice on this site is the reason I'm here.

Thanks! It's hard for me to keep track of who's building what and re -reading every thread to remember who's doing exactly what  takes to long , or I'm not willing to take the time , I guess thats more correct.

So I try to tread lightly when asking , or I avoid asking in hopes some one with more tact , like Glenn or Mtn D , bridge the subject. But in this cae I saw the pony walls and in the post after that saw no one addressing the issue.

We're glad you like the site , It is pretty cool that it works as well as it does really.  c* Most forums turn into written shouting matches  :(

Get that grain in  8) the cabin will still be there , nothing to delaminate on it, she'll pretty much all wood so far.  8)

Redoverfarm

Quote from: PEG688 on November 28, 2008, 03:12:46 PM

Thanks! It's hard for me to keep track of who's building what and re -reading every thread to remember who's doing exactly what  takes to long , or I'm not willing to take the time , I guess thats more correct.

So I try to tread lightly when asking , or I avoid asking in hopes some one with more tact , like Glenn or Mtn D , bridge the subject. But in this cae I saw the pony walls and in the post after that saw no one addressing the issue.

We're glad you like the site , It is pretty cool that it works as well as it does really.  c* Most forums turn into written shouting matches  :(

Get that grain in  8) the cabin will still be there , nothing to delaminate on it, she'll pretty much all wood so far.  8)

d*

PEG688

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 28, 2008, 06:06:37 PM

some one with more tact , like Glenn

d*

So are you saying Glenn doesn't have tact?  You may be right , sometimes, but in general Glenn uses tact or at least he gets the job done without fear for being banned , seeing he's sort of ban proof.  ::) 

But I'd rather he ask some of the questions rather than me. 

So it shows how "tactful " I think I am  c*

glenn kangiser

[rofl2]  ...and I thought I was always tactful.  John -- have you been looking in the off topics.  I am anti-authoritarian... anti-political...sometimes a bit crude? hmm ....maybe that's where I lose it.... :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Glenn - just keep saying what you think.  I can't begin to tell you how much I learned from your posts.  Not to mention how much I've smiled because of some of them.  This could have been a much harder journey without your input. 

This particular little cabin and the progress on restoring it has a particular interest to me.  I've always really liked dovetailed corners.  I'm really pleased to see someone take care to preserve it. 

glenn kangiser

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Considerations. 

I'm going to get a board and write that quote on it so I can hit myself in the head with it whenever I forget. d*  rofl

It makes it all worth while when I am able to help someone learn something they wouldn't have otherwise and be successful with building their own shelter which they may not have been able to do without that knowledge.

I know our other members that help feel the same way.

Jens

just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

PEG688

Ya any updates? I'm thinking with the weather like it's been not much but thinkin been done.

MadisonsDad

Sorry to report the weather has decided who's boss lately. It's either below zero with well below zero wind chills or it's snowing.  No cabin progress to report.

I did spend some time in early December building our "backyard" ice rink for the second year in a row. 48' x 28' ice sheet with a fish house/warming house and custom lighting. In case anyone is curious it takes 3,000 gallons of water for this size if you have an area that is within 3" of being level.  I know this because this year I got smart and instead of using the faucet from the house I loaded up our 1,500 gallon water tank from the farm into the back of a grain truck and made two trips to town and back. I have connections with a facility in town that uses alot of water daily. I still ran hoses from the basement to do some finish work with hot water which really works well. I made a custom hand held zamboni that distributes the water evenly on a 4' wide path and it attachs to the garden hoses which I drag back and forth. There's nothing like wrestling with 150' of frozen garden hose when I'm done and trying to get it into the heated shop before it freezes and brakes.

I can't describe what it's like being out there after dark flooding in temps around zero, steam rising, water freezing and cracking and taking shape. It's one of my all time favorite things to do. I even had a big shooting star burn across the sky one night this year. Maybe your thinking this cold weather has frozen part of my brain as well but up in these parts hockey is king and with a rink like this at our disposal the family really puts it to good use. We actually just got called in by the boss (mom) because it's bedtime for the kids.

Oh and those 2x4's you see in the photo's holding up the lights, well they are supposed to be purlins across my rafters on the cabin. I keep telling myself once it warms up a bit I'm gonna get back at it but it's gonna be hard. We haven't been above 10 degrees without it snowing since early December. It's been hard on the firewood pile this year

MadisonsDad

MadisonsDad

Redoverfarm

My Minister does the same thing for his kids.  They are into hockey big.  Suppose to have a party there Sunday but I don't think the weather will cooperate. We got a warm spell  ???  but it is suppose to cool off in the next couple of days.  Been raining for two and freezing rain tonight.  Will see.  Glad to here from you.

bobtheengineer

Thats pretty neat.  I just had to chime in.  I used to live up in your neck of the woods.  My wife actually worked at the hospital in Roseau.  I did live in Warroad though, home of your arch enemies. ;)  Nice country.

MadisonsDad

Arch enemies indeed!!! I think it's a big part of what keeps these people going up here in the frozen tundra this time of year. That and ice fishing (which has been very good but now the big lake has alot of snow on it, making travel tough).

A new spin to the rivalry is girls hockey. Warroad ranked #2 and Roseau #3 in the state. They just played a great game last Saturday at the gardens with Warroad winning 2-1 in overtime.  Meanwhile it's storming outside with the snow just dumping down.

If anyone is interested in more Roseau county high school sports results just let me know...LOL

Jens

That is so rad!  Nice job dad! [cool]
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Ernest T. Bass

That is so cool! My mom's family did that when she was young. Our yard has never been level enough, though. :( We do get to skate at the indoor rink in town for free, but no hockey...

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Bishopknight

I'm terribly sorry for your loss