Multi-phased 1 1/2 story home project in Austin, TX

Started by phalynx, February 11, 2007, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Looks good - so you conned the neighbor into getting up there... probably with the promise of a picture on the net....  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

phalynx

It's more of the "I bought a whole bunch of tools that he won't have to buy" trade.  When he builds his home, hopefully soon, I'll assist him. 

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

phalynx

Looking pretty good...  I have a sheetrock crew in there today.

glenn kangiser

phalynx

No, and I don't really care for this particular sheetrock crew either... They were cheaper but they really suck!

MelH

Quote from: phalynx on May 14, 2009, 12:56:27 AM
Just info for anyone.  We did a summary calc of the costs for the entire place.  With everything, appliances, construction, even hiring drywallers, plumbing, fixtures, cabinets, etc..  We spent just under 30K for the entire project. 
Thanks for the awesome and inspiring thread.

30k include the well and bringing in electric?

I want a full basement, but maybe not worth the price tag to me.....

thanks again.

Mel

Redoverfarm

I can't understand why you didn't do the drywall. I know it is one of your favorites.  I think I would convert some of the space to what do they call it, Oh Yeah "Man Cave".  Too nice to put tools and stuff in there.

muldoon

thats a nice shop, looks more like a mini hotel room  :)  did you think about running air compressor lines before the drywall?  what about a sawdust vacuum system?  When I get around to doing the shop in my mind I have always dreamed of having both of those incorporated into it.  maybe some electrical at workbench height?   did you tie in a 220 outlet for a welder? 

phalynx

I had to fire the sheetrock crew today.  They were doing such a bad job and coming late and leaving for hours and then leaving early.  We'll end up finishing the mud and doing the texture.

Redover...  Oh believe me, Man cave has been running though my head.  But why can't a man cave be a shop too? :)

muldoon... I thought about running the air compressor lines but ultimately decided I would just use a recoiling hose.  Maybe later run some lines around to give it more of that "lived in shop" look.
Vacuum system is on my mind but I will most likely have a lot of my tools on mobile bases so I would probably just stick a vacuum system in the corner and run a temp hose to each tool as I use it.  I dunno yet.
I put all of the electrical at floor height because my last shop I did it at counter height and the proceeded to put up shelves everywhere and it blocked the outlets.  I figure I'll just use multi outlet strips on the workbench.
220v, I didn't put in a welder 220v in because I am going to use a MIG welder that will run off a 20 amp 110V.  It's a wood floor and I didn't think it would be too wise to weld inside..  I dunno, I am not much of a welder yet.  I do have 60Amps of 220V run to the shop so I can handle a few 220V circuits should my tools require them.

In my last shop I had 2 30amp circuits on that metal flexible conduit run to metal outlet boxes with outlets on them.  I could them put there wherever in the shop I needed and could coil them up when I needed.

phalynx

Here it is after my wife finished taping and floating the seams (love her) and just about to put the texture on.

glenn kangiser

Gotta say she did a lot better job than the pix you posted of what they were doing.  Nice work. :)

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

phalynx

Yes we are commenting to each other how much better we are at taping and floating.  We still have sheetrock though.

phalynx

Hurray,,, we are done with the construction (almost, trim outside left) of the shop!  All textured, painted and flooring went down.

Here's our progress the last 2 days.  Several with my "crew", a.k.a my family.  It's a shop fit for a King...  I do believe I am going to get my crown.

muldoon

fantastic looking shop! 

I have a few questions.

What texture did you use for the sheetrock?  one of the aerosol cans?  a hand held sprayer machine?  other technique?  I have been trying to figure out how to do this best and am curious what you did. 

What did you put on top of that plywood floor to finish it off?  Looks good. 

finally, and most importantly - how did you get your wife to do the sheetrock work?  specifically, tell me the magic words you used  ...  I am taking notes here ...  d*

MountainDon

Regarding the texture.

I bought a Hobart texture gun years ago. The hopper is loaded with a joint compound mix diluted with some water to suit. With a little practise you can do quite well.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

phalynx

Muldoon,

Texture was "orange peel".  I used the gun MountainDon mentioned.  It was approximately $50 at the big orange store.  It's just a hopper for the mud and it hooks to your air compressor.  The manual says to use 30-35 psi and slightly thin the mud.  I read a lot online about it and watched a couple of videos and determined the best pressure was 60 psi.  The mixture of "just plain sheetrock mud" was thinned with water to the consistency of pancake batter. This worked really well. I was pleased.

I put commercial vinyl tile on the floor.  It's 1/8" thick and goes on with a very thin adhesive.  Now my shop floor looks like a Wal-Mart  d*
Quote from: muldoon on June 12, 2009, 07:09:44 PM

finally, and most importantly - how did you get your wife to do the sheetrock work?  specifically, tell me the magic words you used  ...  I am taking notes here ...  d*

The exact words were "Honey, the faster we get the shop built, the faster I can get all the tools and stuff out of your candle house."  (candle house is the cabin behind our house where she makes her wonderful soy candles ***self supporting marketing advert here***)

Your mileage will vary but you might find your own little "candle house" move to make.  You can also just start storing your tools and such in the way of whatever your wife wants to do.  Tah DAH!

glenn kangiser

Great job.  I like to splatter it on- let it dry a little bit then knock it down with a wide knife so the tops are flat.  It gives it a nice effect.

phalynx

glenn kangiser

Had to look at those pix twice --- first you were there then you were gone.  I thought it was a trick.  [waiting]

Do you always finish everything you start?  You are making me look bad.... d*

phalynx

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 15, 2009, 12:52:41 AM
Had to look at those pix twice --- first you were there then you were gone.  I thought it was a trick.  [waiting]

Matter can neither be created nor destroyed.  You see that giant pile of shavings?  That was me afterwards.  My wife has put me back together with some wood glue. 

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 15, 2009, 12:52:41 AM

Do you always finish everything you start?  You are making me look bad.... d*

BWHAHAHAHAHAHHA,,,,,,   I guarantee my wife is laughing and spitting coke at her laptop right now.  I only ever finish 85-95% of anything I ever start.

glenn kangiser

Even  85% makes me look bad. [waiting]  rofl

At least your not obsessive about it.  I was afraid you might be. [scared]

MountainDon

Quote from: phalynx on June 15, 2009, 12:57:39 AM

BWHAHAHAHAHAHHA,,,,,,   I guarantee my wife is laughing and spitting coke at her laptop right now.  I only ever finish 85-95% of anything I ever start.

Is that figure that you complete 85-95% of the projects started or that projects get finished to within 85-95% of being completed before 'something' happens and it languishes. I sometimes have problems with the later... of course sometimes that is because the finish line keeps getting moved.   d*

considerations

Glenn, Mountain Don....you are just interested in so many things that it hard to do them all justice....speaking from experience in this matter.  c*