Multi-phased 1 1/2 story home project in Austin, TX

Started by phalynx, February 11, 2007, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

smcdaniel345

I hope mine looks that good when it gets finished.

muldoon

phalynx, you were an inspiration for me to join this site as were geographically close and seemed like we had some of the same goals.  your place looks just great, I cant believe how fast it has come together for you guys. 

nice pepto bismal paint job in that room too.  :) 

phalynx

HA!!!  I almost spit coke all over the nice new carpet.  Looking at all of the colors in this house, I'd say I have built the largest Easter egg.  Now I have to hide it.. :)

smcdaniel345

So how long from start to finish?  My husband says we can't move in - at all - until it's finished.  And he means totally finished. >:(

phalynx

We started Dec 07.  We moved in July 08.  If we hadn't moved in, we probably would have been done in Oct.  Keep in mind we only worked on weekends mostly and I like to take a lot of breaks  ;D  I went through about a 3 month period where I only wanted to sit and stare at the place and admire all the work we did and then think about all the work left.   It would get a little overwhelming.  I would say make sure you "can't get comfortable" in the house.  Only have uncomfortable chairs for breaks.  The moment you get comfy, you start to move in and slow down.  In our case, we were in an RV full time with 2 girls and a dog.  It was time to move in for us.  Selling the RV made a nice reward in the checkbook every month.

Bishopknight

Wow, excellent. Everything looks amazing. You did a superb job on the drywall taping. My hats off to you. I'm dreading taping all the drywall in my house. I love the deck and chimney also. Very very nice!  ;D

phalynx

Thanks all for the kind words... 

BishopKnight-  As far as the tape and float,,, I surrendered to professionals on it.  It was WELL worth it for us.  1/2 way through we decided that we did NOT have what it took to drywall and tape and float.

Just info for anyone.  We did a summary calc of the costs for the entire place.  With everything, appliances, construction, even hiring drywallers, plumbing, fixtures, cabinets, etc..  We spent just under 30K for the entire project. 

glenn kangiser

Cool - you can't even buy a new car or truck for that any more.  Here you have something to shelter your entire family and occasional friends... :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Looks great!  Love the porch  :)  I remember painting my bedroom a "peach" color in highschool...  more like a subtle orange...   :o
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

phalynx

Just an update on the shop we are building.  I decided to see how much, if any, the rain will affect my underground storage bunker project, so we decided to finish up our shop that we are building.  Here are some updates.  I hope to have it finished by tuesday, unless it doesn't stop raining.

phalynx

glenn kangiser

You like that chair, don't you, buddy... :)

...but --good show anyway.. :)

phalynx

phalynx

Finished framing the roof, painted the outside, and installed the windows in the shop.  Roofing will come slowly this week.

phalynx

Redoverfarm

Looking good.  You probably like that pitch roof alot better than the house don't you.  And the fall distance is better too.

phalynx

Oh my yes...  It's amazing what a 10/12 roof pitch can do to build up your courage.  I was crawling around up on the shop like I had done it for 20 years.  Still cautious, but not so fearful.

Redoverfarm

phalynx

Oh,,, so now I am predictable?  Geez,  I need to go sit in a chair so my wife can take a picture of me.   d*

glenn kangiser

phalynx

Not much to walk on though... This sheet metal is so thin I could sneeze and blow the roof off...  :(  I am not buying this stuff again.

phalynx

Finished the roof today.  Neighbor came by to help finish.  He weighs less than me and was the perfect person to be up top :).  I'll do the electric tomorrow and the insulation over the next couple days.  Then I'll call out the sheetrock crew to do the rocking.  I did learn one thing.. :)