Multi-phased 1 1/2 story home project in Austin, TX

Started by phalynx, February 11, 2007, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Yep, those do appear much nicer than the originals. When you have time it would be great to hear more about them... What's under the treads and riers, what type/size of wood. What sort of finish treatment will you be using?

Thanks for showing us them.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

phalynx

The wood used is pine.  I built the stairs with 3- 2x12 stingers and 3/4" sanded plywood for the base treads.  On top of the base treads, I have 1x sanded pine planks.  I used a router table to round over the edges on the planks.  The riser fillers are 1x pine as well.  Where the pieces of wood were not the correct height or depth, I put several pieces together using a biscuit jointer, biscuits and glue.  The side pieces on the wall is 1x12 pine with a routed cove on top for finish. 

Everything was put together with construction adhesive and finishing nails.  Absolutely squeak free!  Well, we'll see after a year or so my girls running up and down the stairs. 

As for the finish, we'll be using a stain with several coats of satin poly on it.  I will cover it, sand it, and keep going until I think it will survive.  I just want to make sure it isn't slippery.  That may be a challenge.

Over all, I am pleased with the look.  I certainly have some details to finish and work out but I was impressed with my finish carpentry work.  I hadn't done much to date.  I'm no PEG, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night....  Maybe someday, I'll be 1/2 as good as PEG.  Then again,,, PEG will just get better and then I would only be about 1/4 a good...  hummm

Redoverfarm

Just a hint.  Use gloss on your first coat.  Then follow with satin on subsequent coats.  Brings out a lot clearer wood definition.  Also as much as you may be tempted to use a water base poly because ease of application and recoat times. Don't as it will not hold up to traffic as oil's do.  Good job. 

phalynx

House is getting too full of stuff/tools and my makeshift work area on the front porch is causing problems.  So, we are starting to build a 16x24 shop off to the side of the house to allow some storage of some stuff and a workshop area for all the woodwork tools.  Here is a progress this weekend.

Redoverfarm

phalynx

Well, it's going to all match!  Me laying on the boards is exactly how I feel right now.  I am thinking of going with just a shed roof so that I can put a lean-to on it and maybe collect the rain water if it were to ever rain... sigh.

ScottA

glenn kangiser

I think you are addicted, phalynx.  Soon you will be putting buildings everywhere and no end in sight... kind of a Sarah Winchester type guy.... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

phalynx

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

phalynx

The biggest problem is I am looking at the footprint of that shop thinking off all the other things it could be..  Bad Scott, BAD!

glenn kangiser

Looks high enough to build lean-to's and while you are at it, extend the studs so you can go with a pitched roof and an attic.  I fear you'll need it. d*

phalynx

Well, for an update, we got tired of looking at insulation.  And since I HATE sheetrock (did I mention that), we got a couple of quotes for some (professionals) to finish all the rocking. I couldn't believe how cheap it is.  If I had only known, I would have had a crew come and do the entire place before we moved in.  Well, they have been here 1 day and have finished the upstairs (rocking only).  Tomorrow they will finish the downstairs.  Then a couple of days to tape and float and texture.  All I can think of is that is 60 sheets of drywall I won't have to touch.  I love it..  There is pleasure in building your own home.  That pleasure gets lost when you are having to do something you hate.  I like it now. :)  even though now technically I didn't build the entire house myself...  I can live with it.

Pictures to follow.

ScottA

Smart move. I'm sure you'll be much happier now.  :)

MountainDon

I'll wager you are glad to see that part of the job done with, even if you had to pay the crew.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

phalynx

You would be absolutely correct!  That is something well worth paying for.  Plus, I learned a lot about how to install sheetrock.  I still hate it.

phalynx

Oh my,,,, this is what happens when you let your girls choose the color of their rooms......  Well. maybe I am just looking at life through rose color glasses...

Last day for the drywallers...  Everything should better in the morning... all better.

Redoverfarm

phalynx I have a pair of those same glasses I guess.  My daughters room is two shades of pink.  Darker shade on the gable ends and lighter shade on the side walls.  Don't worry about it. They will have it covered up with Hanna Montana & High School Musical stuff shortly.   ;D

phalynx

Pink on pink???  man,, that would be tough..  We already laid down the law (for now), they may have 2 thumbtacks to hang stuff and must be pre-approved before hanging.  We'll hang pictures on nails.  No real problem with Hannah Montana right now.  Girls think she is a horrible actor  :D ...  I have to deal with horse pictures everywhere....

John Raabe

We have two boys and one of the boys painted his room twice. First in hot pink (much darker and more vivid than your color). Then he had second thoughts on pink and repainted the room black.  :P

I think it took three coats of primer to get back to something you wake up to in the morning.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

phalynx

In my younger days, I would have been the boy who painted his room black.  I would have loved it.  Of course I would have had 1000 watts of light in there just so I could read.  Its funny how we tend to be wiser as we get older... 

phalynx

Well, it's been a fast 2 weeks.  All drywall is up, textured, and we just finished painting everything. I love professional paint sprayers.  The carpeting for upstairs is getting installed on Friday and the lenoleum will be installed in the kitchen next week.  After that....  its just a few more things.  Sand and stain the stairs, install stair rails, fix some closets and the house will be pretty much 100%....  I do need to build the back deck and porch though... But all in time. 

All in all (as if I was really done), this has been an extremely rewarding experience and I certainly couldn't have done any of it without all of the help from everyone on this board.

Just want to say thanks!.

Pics shortly...

phalynx

Cleaned the tools and construction stuff off the front porch.  Put on a nice railing and actually sat in the chairs.. . neat.

Baseboards done upstairs.  Kinda looks useful now.

Downstairs, clean and nice.