Chesaw Cabin has been started! Pictures!!

Started by Willy, March 27, 2008, 10:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

I was out at the cabin today showing it to the people from Canada. They like the cabin and sound promasing to me. As we were walking around I took a picture of a area I have not seen on the place. I spent 99% of my time building the cabin instead. Kind of a nice spot for another cabin! Mark

glenn kangiser

It's amazing how many cool places there can be when you have some wooded acreage.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

soomb

I love your place.  I have an offer on 21 ac to the east of you (Colville, WA) and would love to ask you a TON of questions.  This series of posts is what brought me back to active vs lurking.  Thanks again!

What was your total cost?

Craig
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

Redoverfarm

soomb  w*

Just thought I would let you know that Mark has been working fighting Forrest Fires in WA so it may be a while before he checks back in. But while you are here look around. A lot of interesting builds at the present and past.

John

soomb

John,

Thanks for the heads up.  How far is your place from Winchester VA? or Berkeley Springs, WV?  I used to live out that way.. loved it!

Craig

Redoverfarm

I hate to hijack Marks thread so I sent you a PM.

Woodswalker

Yo Craig, welcome to the landed gentry of N-central WA.  I am just finishing up building a cabin on 20 acres overlooking the L. Curlew Valley, about 40 miles from your place.  Haven't tallied the final figure yet, but estimate it will come in at around $25-$30/sq.ft.  Bought most materials here in the Olympia area and transported them over.  Posted a thread here about the process a while back that has some tips on ways to save $'s.

Lots of mule and white-tail deer in my area, as well as bears, cougars, coyotes, wild turkeys, and a variety of other wildlife.  Imagine you have about the same there.

Lots of great ideas, plans, and info on this site that should be of great value to you as you plan and build.  Wish I had found the site BEFORE building, rather than partially through.

Steve

soomb

Quote from: Willy on March 27, 2008, 10:46:24 PM
Not a ton of work but not bad for a day and a haft. It snowed like heck the first day and had to work to 8:30 at night to get the posts in a ready for the beams. I would scrape the building site and the snow made it white again in between scrapes. The top 4 inches was still frozen solid and took a pick axe to bust it out. The rest of the diging was easy. Did the beams the next day and was able to get home with the sun still shining! The first day had to use a head lamp to see to level the posts for concrete and dry packed them ready for water. I was real happy it measured out perfectly square even tho it was hard to see at night at the tail end. Going back Sunday to do the floor joists & plywood, the rest will be fun after that. Sure glad I had a trailer with some heat to sleep in that night! Was sore in the morning big time!! Mark

Can I get an explanation of dry pack? ???

glenn kangiser

When putting posts in the ground with wet concrete they will want to fall over.  When the posts are put in with dry concrete mix - cement- sand and gravel, they can be tamped into place.  I like to throw a cup or so of water in to assure that the concrete will cure but I don't make it all wet. 

Some say concrete should be mixed with the proper amount of water for maximum strength, but I find the dry pack method with added water to work quite well and extra support of posts to keep them lined up is not necessary.

The concrete will all harden eventually.  Adding the water will insure it does soon

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

soomb

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 05, 2008, 01:51:51 AM
When putting posts in the ground with wet concrete they will want to fall over.  When the posts are put in with dry concrete mix - cement- sand and gravel, they can be tamped into place.  I like to throw a cup or so of water in to assure that the concrete will cure but I don't make it all wet. 

Some say concrete should be mixed with the proper amount of water for maximum strength, but I find the dry pack method with added water to work quite well and extra support of posts to keep them lined up is not necessary.

The concrete will all harden eventually.  Adding the water will insure it does soon
1st: we are up way too late.
2nd: to clarify this  d* Do you pack and tamp the posts with a fully dry mix and then add water once you have reached the "top"? Or are you adding just enough as you go to keep it "chunky" with out getting the "oatmeal" mix?

glenn kangiser

I burned out --- hit the sack --- d*

I like to put a bit of water - maybe a couple cups - dry cement mix -- tamp it with a shovel handle - a bit more water and mix - tamp - continue but not really getting enough water in to make it liquid.  Packed rather dry and tamped as you go- the post will be firm enough to work with soon. 

I did this last installing gate automatic openers.  I didn't use the opener for a few days though so that the concrete could harden, and it did harden.

soomb

Thanks for the clarification! Now I just need:  the land, the plans, the time, the money, and the skills.  Short list!(5 items) I'm all set  ;D

glenn kangiser

ScottA

Keep it simple go for one item at a time. You can take money off the list. No money is used in the construction of my cabin. Only lumber, nails, concrete, shingles, felt, etc. 

soomb

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

heep70

If Willy can be found I would be interested in knowing what the snow accumilations are like on Pontiac Ridge.  I have a cabin north of him on Cow Camp.  I am a caosty and want to head that way soon.  Any info would be great.   

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.