Old Chesaw WA. neighbor, new to forum.

Started by heep70, May 06, 2009, 02:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heep70

I am a newbe.  On some land and building a log cabin in the Chesaw area.  I would be interested in knowing what the snow accumilations are like on Cow Camp RD.  I have a cabin off of Cow Camp.  I am a caosty and want to head that way soon.  Any info would be great.  

MountainDon

[cool] cabin. Wer's love to see more pictures, inside, construction, and so on if you have them/

As for how much snow go to the following aite and see what you can find for locations near youe place.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

heep70  what are you going to use for chinking?

heep70

Yes, I will get some pics posted in the owner builder forum soon.  Right now it is just a shell with a roof besides the loft floor is in.  It is a one and a half loft butt method log cabin.  The logs I fell and peeled from my property.  This summer the base floor, windows and one of the doors will go in.  I am also going to chink it with mortor nothin fancy.  I will before hand stuff the spaces between the logs with fiberglass insulation and the tack down aluminum lath to hold the mortor.  I will get something going soon for pics.

John Raabe

Here is a document I found on WA state snow loads; http://www.seaw.org/documents/WABO-SEAW%20Snow%20Load%20White%20Paper.pdf

Below is the section on Okanogan County locations. Chesaw has a (1970) reported population of 10! I was there in the early 80's designing a cabin for the local butcher. If you design for 100 psf you are probably being conservative. I think that's what I used. Your load on a metal roof of that pitch would be considerably lower, of course.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Redoverfarm

I used 1/4" grid rabbit wire stapled or nailed with roofing nails.  The mix was a 2:1 Type S mortar and sand.  I also added about 1/4 measure of portland.  I cut rigid foam to place in the center then wire and chink on both sides.  Took me 5 weeks for inside and out.  Time consuming. I think the roofing nails will hold the mortar better than using a crown stapler.

heep70

I did some of that 1/4" fence wire.  It works but it is harder to work with.  That aluminum lath stuff is a little easier to deal with when trying to form it around knots and other contors.  It also stretches whitch is cool.

heep70