Thoughts on Peak Oil?

Started by MIEDRN, September 05, 2006, 01:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda_931

George Monbiot on Climate Change, Junk Science and Big Tobacco.

This is a book excerpt, but in this at least he doesn't go back far enough on Big Tobacco and "independent institutes."  I seem to remember them in the 50's.

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,1875762,00.html#article_continue

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

I had a hard time believing this one.  They haven't admitted much on this however, I checked out the publisher and their site had the book along with an expanded table of contents in PDF form.  The heading was there as stated.

Here is a screen shot of the PDF.

The Solutions for Global Warming heading is the one admitting particulate spraying.  The word "chemtrails" is descriptive of the process of various sky spraying patterns seen coming from jets whenever their vapor trails don't dissipate and instead spread and fill the entire sky.  Simple water vapor trails can't do that.  Tic-tac-toe patterns in the sky have become quite common around here in the last few years.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

I agree with Peakengineer. Oil won't likely go dry soon, but energy in general, and oil in particular will never again be as inexpensive as we remember.

Technology can make breakthroughs and some substitutions... but we won't get the BTUs in a gallon of gasoline for a buck and a half anytime soon.

That's why I think the universal energy exchange medium will move from oil to electricity. This may take some time, but not too far into the future, cars will be poofing around town on the charge from the night before. roof tiles will sell power back to the grid while you're at work, and tidal generators and tethered high-altitude lighter than air wind plants will pump power into the grid.

It won't be as cheap as $1.50 gas but it won't mean living in a cave either.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Opps, sorry!  :-[

I didn't mean that as a slight to troglodytes!  :D. They're people too! (or close to it, anyway).

A troglodyte dwelling.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

That's a cool picture , John, I haven't seen that place before.

Yes --it is a sad but true fact, us knuckle draggers need a home and someone to bandage our knuckles too. :-/

benevolance

Lucky for you Glenn you married just one such lady.. capable of bandaging up those dragged knuckles ;)

I agree with John...There will be oil for a long time...It will just be in short supply and cost much more than it does now

Because there are cleaner ways to burn coal.. and things like Nuke power plants we will see more power plants built and Commuter trains and buses in the cities will run on Electricity.

We will see more and more things run on Electricity...Battery technology is on the verge of major breakthroughs.

Every little bit helps...I am not sure how much impact solar will have from the standpoint of individuals selling power back to the grid during the daytime..It will allow a lot of people to mostly self sufficient which is going to be very important as Oil becomes scarce and very expensive

Miedrn

When I read the information, the impression I received was not that oil was running out but that the price and availability will affect our daily lives.

I also didn't realize how much oil impacts our daily lives. Even common products we use daily requires oil to produce.

Sure, this is projection but it's the same thing we do when we invest. We do our homework to make the best decision.

This should be no different. It will impact our lives and I for one want to be prepared no matter how far into the future the impact will be felt.

For those of us with an unlimited supply of income, it may not be an issue but I don't think the majority of us here fit into that category.

I want choices in the future. I don't want to be so dependent on oil that I can't have a few luxuries in life - and my opinion of those have changed recently also.

benevolance

Look at Cuba

Cuba had a pretty decent standard of living before the collapse of the Soviet Union...The soviets supplied Cuba with Oil...Cuba had a highly educated population excellent healthcare... There was never material wealth like we have in America....But the standard of living was decent....When the oil supply got cut off things went downhill drastically

Recently they have gotten a boost from Venezuela helping out with cheap oil..But the daily grind there has a long way to go to get back to where it was 15 years ago before things fell apart when the oil was cut off from the USSR

There would be economic freefall in America if there was even a slight cut back in the availability in oil for the running of the country...Yes we know about solar and electric options...But today we have nothing even remotely close to being viable or ready to take over for oil in industry, petrochemicals, transportation..etc...

glenn kangiser

QuoteLucky for you Glenn you married just one such lady.. capable of bandaging up those dragged knuckles ;)

There was no luck involved, Peter.  It was a wisely plotted and calculated move--now my festering un-healing knuckles are a thing of the distant past as she caringly and selflessly nurses them back to heallth. :)

benevolance

Glenn

So you tricked her huh....Lemme Guess...Date #1 went something like this...

Glenn: You should come live with me in a underground cave dwelling...We can live as Trogdolytes

Cathy: Why er yes that is what I have always dreamed of...*swoon*

Nice strategy glenn... ;)

glenn kangiser

Actually -- Yes -- I tricked her.

No-- I can't talk about it here. ;)

benevolance

Hehe.... Cool beans man I was just teasing you a little...

Love is funny...You just never can predict things....For example if you told Cathy on date number one she would be living  in a non traditional underground dwelling she might have thought you were insane.....But then again she still might think that ;)

I think you know what I mean....I never would have believed I would move down here in Dixie...Where people get all rude with me because they think I am from New York >:(...Only half of them even listen when I tell them I am not a Yankee....But after a couple of years other than the 6 pack and the gun rack I sort of fit in...

You just never know where love is going to take you man....