Humor

Started by glenn-k, February 12, 2007, 07:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

I also considered that but I have no source to find out.  It looks like it at least should have been staged. It was just included in an email that included other pictures such as the ones below.

I would hope for their sake it was staged, or maybe not for our entertainment and cleaning of the gene pool.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

My wife thinks it was staged too. But I've had customers who didn't know they had pipes in thier walls to deliver the water to their sinks and toilets. So...  ???

Homegrown Tomatoes

It might have been staged, but when we bought our first house, we started pulling up carpet and found an extension cord spliced in two places (once with electrical tape and once with duct tape) running under two layers of carpet from one room clear across the next to where the guy had plugged in his AC window unit! d*

glenn kangiser

Was the tape UL approved.... probably not stamped...

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

firefox

Talking of spliceing...There was some back hoe activity just outsid one of the major buildings at UC Berkeley. This building housed the campuses main computer and network facility.

The enevitable happened and we experienced "back hoe fade" on a major fiber trunk to the internet.

Armed with OTDR's we located the aproximate location of the break,
but when we went out into the street we discovered that all the holes were filed in and paved.

Back come the back hoe operators and dig they did. Finally they discovered the broken cable....only it wasn't broken...it was very neatly spliced back together...each color coded fiber was neatly wire nutted to its corresponding fiber and neatly wrapped with electrical tape.

The electrician chimed in saying that this happens all the time, but we always put things back together. He was very proud of the job he had done.

Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

glenn kangiser

I used to work for the phone company.  I don't think that was an approved splice. :)
I did equipment maintenance, operating and cable splicing there.

firefox

We had an 800 pair cable going between two adjacent buildings
for hooking up terminals in instructional labs. Got a call one day
from someone saying that they had mistakenly cut through our cable.

Luckily the labs had long since been upgraded to ethernet and the cable had been abandoned.

The guy was asking whether we needed it to be spliced back together.
I thought it but I'm not really that mean, so I let him off the hook.
Can you imagine splicing an 800 pair cable?

Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

glenn kangiser

Nearly.  I spliced about a mile of 600 pair cable - the old paper wrapped type in about 1973.  I probably did about 6 splices.  The boss got a good deal on it - it was a private company.  It was quite a project to dry out if it ever got wet.

Lotsa white beans on that one.

firefox

You've got to be kidding, you used beenies to splice with. Yukk.
I've never used them but I think I saw a picture of a splice boot using
the clips like on 110 blocks except these were for 25 pairs each.
then you snapped them in to some kind of container. I mispoke on the last one, it was an 1800pair cable not an 800 pair, the weird part was that the wire was 26 gauge, not 24.

I am sure glad these are just memories.

Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

glenn kangiser

Yeah - they were not the later grease filled ones - these were about an inch long 1/4 wide and covered with white plastic.  They had pointed metal inside and you stick the wires in and smashed them flat with a special pliers.  I also wiped lead sleeves on lead covered cable - aerial - we had lots of it.

Redoverfarm

For those of you that haven't got a turkey yet for Thanksgiving.

http://www.southbank-design.co.uk/turkeyshoot/index.htm

MountainDon

Fun! My first time through it...

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Oh I forgot. Mine the first time was 10,320. I try to beat it next time.

MountainDon

You're too good John.    ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

harry51

You guys are good! I didn't even quite break 7000! But it was fun!
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

muldoon

Redoverfarm

11,429 the 2nd go round. Once you pass  that they are more like a cubby of quail.  Need a semi-auto with a big magazine to catch Muldoon.

Redoverfarm

Next time you use a pair of rubber gloves, you're going to smile when you think of this:   

A dentist noticed that his next patient, a little old lady, was   nervous so he decided to tell her a little joke as he put on his   gloves.   

'Do you know how they make these gloves?' he asked.   

'No, I don't,' she replied.   

'Well,' he spoofed, 'there's a building in Canada with a big tank   of latex and workers of all hand sizes walk up to the tank, dip in   their hands, let them dry, then peel off the gloves and throw them   
into boxes of the right size.'   

She didn't crack a smile.   

'Oh, well. I tried,' he thought.   

But five minutes later, during a delicate portion of the procedure,   she burst out laughing.   

'What's so funny?' he asked   

'I was just envisioning how condoms are made !'   

Gotta watch those little old ladies! Their minds are always working

MountainDon

Redoverfarm

A game warden was driving down the road when he came upon a young boy carrying a wild turkey under his arm.?

He stopped and asked the boy, 'Where did you get that turkey?'?

The boy replied, 'What turkey?'?

The game warden said, 'That turkey you're carrying under your arm.'?

The boy looks down and said, 'Well, lookee here, a turkey done roosted under my arm!'?

The game warden said, 'Now look, you know turkey season is closed, so whatever you do to that turkey, I'm going to do to you.?

If you break his leg, I'm gonna break your leg. If you break his wing, I'll break your arm. Whatever you do to him, I'll do to you. So, what are you gonna do with him?'?

The little boy said, 'I guess I'll just kiss his ass and let him go!'

May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have never a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Sassy

What's Up With Up?

Lovers of the English language might enjoy this. It is yet another example of why people learning English have trouble with the language. Learning the nuances of English makes it a difficult language. (But then, that's probably true of many languages.)

There is a two-letter word in English that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that word is 'UP.' It is listed in the dictionary as being used as an [adv], [prep], [adj], [n] or [v].

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP, and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report? We call UP our friends and we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver, we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen.

We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car.

At other times the little word has a real special meaning.

People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.
And this up is confusing:

A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.

We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night.  We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP!

To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4 of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions

If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP. When it rains, it wets UP the earth. When it does not rain for awhile, things dry UP.

One could go on & on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now. My time is UP.

Don't screw UP.  Send this on to everyone you look UP in your address book.   Now I'll shut UP.

By the way: If you are fed UP with me sending you messages like this one, UP YOURS!

Oh...one more thing:

What is the first thing you do in the morning & the last thing you do at night?  U P

Jack
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Sassy

How the US-Bailout Works
Young Chuck moved to Texas and bought a donkey from a farmer for $100.
The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day.
The next day he drove up and said"Sorry son but I have some bad news the donkey died."

Chuck: "Well then just give me my money back."

Farmer: "Can't do that. I went and spent it already."

Chuck: "Ok then just bring me the dead donkey."

Farmer: "What ya gonna do with him?"

Chuck: "I'm going to raffle him off."

Farmer: "You can't raffle off a dead donkey!"

Chuck: "Sure I can watch me! I just won't tell anybody he's dead."

A month later the farmer met up with Chuck.
Farmer: "What happened with that dead donkey?"

Chuck: "I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets at two dollars a piece and made a profit of $998."

Farmer: "Didn't anyone complain?"

Chuck: "Just the guy who won. So I gave him his two dollars back."

Chuck now works for Goldman Sachs...and will soon be appointed to Obama's cabinet.

apaknad

didn't know i could laugh and cry at the same time sassy. that's a good one.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

MountainDon

This is sort of humorous, sort of strange.  ???

Seen in Mississippi in the parking lot of a Bass Pro store.
The truck belongs to a taxidermist apparently.

Only in Mississippi?

Sassy