20x32 lake cabin w/loft

Started by naturebug, August 02, 2011, 10:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suburbancowboy

I do have to say the roof is the hardest part of the whole cabin build.  It took us 3 weekends to get the trusses up, osb on, tarpaper, and metal.  If you are going to contract anything out, that should be it.  Find some out of work construction worker that knows what they are doing,  offer him cash and save yourself alot of hasle.

naturebug

I agree 100%. We had a friend help with the trusses and it just wouldn't have been done without him. We now have trusses up and purlins on. I think we are going to go ahead and attempt the metal (with the help of that same friend). We are building this cabin with the little we had saved (that money is already spent) and what we have left over in our check each week. No loan. The money to pay for it to be hired out could be put somewhere else for actual materials but if we start the metal and decide we can't do it then we are going to hire it done. This will be our biggest challenge so far. After this we KNOW we can handle the rest ourselves. I will say this to all those out there that want to build but don't think they can - If we can do it anyone can do it. It has been way more work than we thought and some things have been much harder than expected but we have enjoyed doing this. We have never done anything before that has given us such a sense of accomplishment.

Alan Gage

No roof sheathing? Is the steel you're putting up rated as being structural (maybe that's not to correct term)? Or maybe you've got another way around that I'm not aware of.

Alan

MountainDon

Alan is correct, not all metal roofing is rated for use as a structural panel. Winds generate forces that will try to make the roof framing move, twist and a non structural panel may buckle under certain conditions. Not always, but it's not always the other guy who is on the receiving end for bad luck.

If the panels you have are structural rated what are the plans to prevent water vapor from condensing on the underside and possibly causing future problems? Some locations don't permit metal without minimal code approved sheathing and weather barrier before the metal goes on.

G/L

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

naturebug

The panels are structural panels. We are using double foil bubble insulation directly under the panels with a 3 inch air gap between that and  the cathedral ceiling insulation. We are working with a local company that specializes in this type construction - we have done everything according to their instructions.

MountainDon

Great. There have been some who have used the panels that the Big Box stores carry and those are not rated for that use. As much as a note for future readers as anything else. It looks like you have a proper understanding or at least are willingly following some professional advice.  

ED: I should proof read before posting
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

naturebug

Since we have never built anything before we have tried to do our homework and not cut corners. It might be better that we didn't know what we were doing because it forced us to ask professionals that we trusted. I agree with hopefully preventing others from making big mistakes by thinking all metal is created equal. There is lots of time, money and stress in building your own home -it would be a shame to make a mistake that can cost you so much down the road. We have enjoyed building this house but sure want to build right the first time then sit back on the front porch drinking iced tea with no worries - LOL.

naturebug

We had a long weekend but got the roof on with no problems other than taking a lot longer than we thoguht it would. We were off about 3/4 inch at the end on one side and about 1 inch on the other. We could live with that with no problem. We put the double bubble foil under the metal which was a little harder than we thought it would be. Overall it went great. We are thrilled that this part is done. We will install the windows and doors next weekend. My husband, Terry hasn't done it yet for fear of something dropping from the roof and busting a window. The color of the roof was a hard one to pick but after we put it on we knew that we made the perfect choice - we love the color. Now starts the siding debate. We have the shake shingles for the eave of the house so whatever we go with will need to look good with them. We keep changing our minds when we drive past a house we like but we both agree on no log siding - we are leaning towards cedar siding but still not sure.

Alan Gage

Good job with the roof.

I went with cedar and am happy with it so far (only been on a month). Looks great and was easy to cut, handle, and install. I treated it front, back, and sides, with a water repellant preservative (make sure it's paintable/stainable) before installation and then put on a semi-transparent stain after it was up. You could stain it ahead of time too, timing just didn't work out for me. Or just stain all sides and forget the WRP.

Here's a link to my build page with the siding:

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10497.60

I wish I would have put on a water table (something like a 1x8) for protection instead of starting the siding at the foundation. My siding hangs over the foundation about 3/4" and it's quite brittle. I caught it a little with the leg of the ladder as I picked it up and it put a nice split in it.

Alan

naturebug

I love your cedar siding! You can't go wrong with that look. I would want the natural look like you have. My only worry is the upkeep on it. Do you know how often you would need to treat it. I sure wouldn't want it to start looking grey.

Sassy

Great progress  c*  I like the roof color, too  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

keyjoy

Great Job!! That has got to feel great to have the roof on! Love the roof color!!! Can I ask where you got your metal?

Alan Gage

Quote from: naturebug on October 24, 2011, 10:50:55 AM
My only worry is the upkeep on it. Do you know how often you would need to treat it. I sure wouldn't want it to start looking grey.

From what I've read I'm hoping for 4-5 years with the semi-transparent stain. The 3' overhangs should help by keeping the rain and sun off the walls so maybe a little longer if I'm really lucky.

Also hoping that reapplication won't be too big of a deal since there's no need for scraping like there is with paint. I was surprised how quickly the stain went on with the siding on the walls. I also screwed all my trim on so I can easily pull it back off when I need to paint it or stain the siding.

Alan

naturebug

The metal came from a local company that only sells metal. They are the "go to guys". They have helped us through the whole roof process. Wonderful quality - has a 45 year warranty. The color is burnished slate. We are going to get the facia, sofit, gutter in the same color.

naturebug

We have the windows and doors in. Most of the wrap on. We worked inside this weekend and ran electric, put some insulation up and a few sheets of sheetrock. I'll post pics from inside when it's not as messy as it was this weekend.

This is our view of the lake from the picture window at the cabin. The view is actually better and bigger than the camera showed. It's hard for me to get away from the window and get work done!

naturebug

Worked on the cabin this weekend. Put the shingles up which took about 2 full days. The siding is just primer right now but we will be painting it a dark taupe. The bottom area will be cedar lap siding. It's a different look but was trying to make both of us happy and make our cabin a little different. Saw an eagle fly over our cabin while we were working on it. Thought it was an awesome sight.

astidham

your place is really taking shape..
I think the siding combo will look awesome together.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

naturebug

We have been working very little on the house - can't wait for warmer weather. This is a picture of the siding combo that we decided on. The front is done for the most part - it has been painted and the cedar is on. We do still need to add the battens on the siding part to give it the board and batten look. They are calling for a nice weekend this week so maybe we can get more done.

OzarkBrandon

I really like how the siding looks - turned out really nice.  Thanks for the update, been wondering how things are going.  Will be excited when you have interior pictures to show.

naturebug

We've been working on the outside to protect it from the weather but I sure can't wait to start on the inside - seems like the past few months have been really slow - I'm ready for inside work. I'm at the point now (for the first time since starting) that I feel like it's never going to get done!

altaoaks

Naturebug, you guys are making amazing progress, especially for a first build, and cash as you go!  I'm impressed!

naturebug

Put the cabinets in the weekend.
before:

During install:

AFTER:

We still need to put the sink in and finish the outside of the snack bar. The cabinets are maple in a natural finish and were bought at our local home store. They were a display so we picked them up pretty cheap.

naturebug

Here's the kitchen almost complete

rick91351

[cool]

The display cabinets worked out very well.  I have often wondered why more people building cabins and guest houses do not take advantage of that.  How do you like the corner sink?  Myself I think they offer a very good option sometimes to a dead corner.  I like it.  What did you use for a kitchen ceiling?

There is a counter top appliance next to your toaster oven.  Hot plate or a ???   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

naturebug

I love the sink in the corner. It's hard to get enough countertop space anyway and it seems the sink is always right in the center making it a small countertop on either side. Nice large countertop area now even though it's a small kitchen. We have a toaster oven and hot plate on the counter right now because we don't yet have the propane hooked up but that will be done in the next couple weeks and those will be gone. The kitchen ceiling is hundred year old beadboard that we removed from an old house, power washed it and put about 4 coats of white paint on it. It is one of my favorite things in the house. The beam you see over the fridge is a hand hewn beam from that same house. It has been forever building this cabin but we've only been working on it sometimes a few days a month so all in all it's coming along well. Thanks so much for your comments. - Angie