Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

It is a Model T Fairbanks Morse vertical, 5 horsepower I think, Doc.  Got it out of the woods  at a farmers in Oregon. [noidea'

Pretty rare for a Morse I think.

Right there on the corner.  Not complete but I did get it unstuck years ago.  :)

A running 4hp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x__gyqQEME
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

AdironDoc

Wow! I see it. What will you do with your things? Can they be restored or auctioned?

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 12, 2012, 04:16:37 PM
Hmm....been accused of bein' a picker by
Whitlock before..... [waiting]

Anybody notice the 1890 era Fairbanks Morse sitting there?  5hp I think.....

Anybody notice the 1951 antique photographer behind the camera?  [noidea'

Glenn, Fairbanks Moorse at one time made locomotives and locomotive engines.  I was told by an old roundhouse foreman they had no heads.  They used a upper and lower piston assembly or opposed blocks.  The pistons were timed together to come up from the bottom and down from the top.  At the point in the stroke when they had the greatest amount of compression then had ignition. 

1951 both of us are just starting in to our prime.    c*

By the way I found a whole bunch of Tesla stuff on the web the other day I well try to find it and forward it to you.  Some if it I have never seen before.   :D   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

Tesla did a lot of cool stuff.  A real genius.  Too bad he didn't get rich from his work.   :(

Yes - Fairbanks Morse made some cool and BIG stuff. 

I have a big engine that should make it here to the top of the hill one day soon.  A Cummins KTA 2300, 1280 horsepower.  I think they were used in some locomotives too but this one came from a mining dump truck.  I used it for developing water wells.  :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: AdironDoc on June 12, 2012, 10:34:54 PM
Wow! I see it. What will you do with your things? Can they be restored or auctioned?

Fortunately anything can be "Yard Art"

Most can be restored one way or the other.  Auction... probably not while I am alive.... but the estate sale should be really cool.... [waiting]

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 12, 2012, 11:19:58 PM
Tesla did a lot of cool stuff.  A real genius.  Too bad he didn't get rich from his work.   :(

Yes - Fairbanks Morse made some cool and BIG stuff. 

I have a big engine that should make it here to the top of the hill one day soon.  A Cummins KTA 2300, 1280 horsepower.  I think they were used in some locomotives too but this one came from a mining dump truck.  I used it for developing water wells.  :)

Back when I was a truck driver I loved those Cummins Engines.  But back then 335 were the rage and then they added an after cooler and made the 350 and I was done with truck driving.  I never have seen a Cummins in a locomotive but that does not mean they were not there.  There were a lot of small locomotive works at one time.  Those two cycle EMD (General Motors) units were our favorite.  And we could keep them running.  Some times even with a rod out the side of the block.  OH the stories I could tell!!   Then General Electric had some four stoke units that sounded like an out of time John Deere.  We hated them.  They died a lot; they were over protected just as the EMD units were under protected.  Especially with the Crankcase Over Pressure reset button block down with a railroad fusee.  Just the right amount of room between the car body and the button.  I always thought they were engineered for that.   ???

By the time I retired it had all turned around.  GE is making some great locomotives.  They were on the top of the heep with solving the AC power on the new generation of locomotives  That was as much or more change than steam to diesel electric locomotives.  But general public never heard of it nor seen it. c*               
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

I have never known that much about locomotives.  Just that I didn't want to be in a time warp with one.... you know... enter the same space and time.... [waiting]

Trucks... I had one of the earlier big Cummins in my Peterbilt.  NTA 420.  Turbo charged and aftercooled low compression so the turbo could blow more in there.  That engine took a bit to wind up but would really go.  20 minutes or so faster than the 350 in the Freightliner climbing the Siskiyous. I had two trucks.  You can lose money twice as fast that way.  [ouch]

I wrecked the Pete in Oregon going around three carloads of gawkers parked just around a corner looking at another wreck on the ice.  They all took off when I laid it down beside them to keep from killing them.  I was only doing about 15 mph so didn't get hurt but badly damaged the truck and destroyed the trailer and load. [noidea'

The Pete lived again as a roll bar installation truck when I Contracted for Saf-T-Cab company from 86 to 92.  :)

CjAl

the kta is a heck of a good motor but they are super expensive to work on. they did put them in some trucks, at the time they were the biggest hp you could put in a truck and were like 600hp. there is twin turbo versions and air to air versions. the letters change respectivly. kta, ktta, ktaa etc

their major use is in boats. most tugs run them still to this day. also although it is marketed as a cummins it was designed by kubota. hence the K in kta

glenn kangiser

I remember seeing a KT or two in trucks.  The straight six version.

The one I have is a V12.  About the size of a small house... the ground shakes like a locomotive engine running when it is running.  [scared]

It just has a PTO clutch on the back of it from which we ran a pump gearhead. 

CjAl

i figured thats what it was when you said 1200hp.

i think i could fit it under my hood with a pry bar and a bucket of lube.

unfortunatly their marine use is what drives up the parts cost. in a 6cyl, one cylender pack costs as much as all six in a nta cummins or cat

glenn kangiser

It was supposed to be 1280 hp but it has one flat cam lobe on the front cylinder right bank.  It has set for about 12 years in the valley fog and the plastic buckets over the stacks deteriorated in the sun.  Hope it is not froze up, but the fog and neighbor spraying sulfur on the grapes seems to destroy almost everything.

It is air start and has about a 100 gallon air tank to activate the starter.  I built two 300 gallon diesel tanks - one for each side to carry enough fuel to run a few days.... edited to add.... made a mis-statement there.... try 10 hours.  Total 600 gallons on board.   Pulled up a spec sheet on it and it is rated at about 59 to 63 gallons of diesel per hour at rated horsepower. [scared]

Imagine that... at today's prices.... $240 per hour in fuel just to run that engine..... [waiting]

CjAl

i believe it. the six cyl in a truck burns almost 20 gal an hour. i have a friend with two of them they get between 3 and 6 mpg

Redoverfarm

Sanford ( I mean Glenn) ;).  Need to put some of those artifacts on Ebay.  Somewhere in the far corners of the world someone is searching for exactly what you have.  Of course make them pay the shipping.   ;D

glenn kangiser

Hmm, John.... Whitlock calls me Sanford and whistles the song too....  [waiting]

At this point, I have plenty of people who want my stuff, but I'm not ready to sell yet.....  :)

Maybe after I go through it straightening it out, eh?

glenn kangiser

Got 2 corn patches planted yesterday after rototilling over the hugelkultur bed I worked over with the Bobcat earlier this year.  Going for more seed for early corn soon so I can have 3 ready consecutively but planted at the same time.  [idea]

The hard part was shoveling the trenches between the double rows.  Makes a sort of a raised bed and a place to add more mulch and chips to start decomposing as well as another way for air to get closer to the plant roots.  Who'da thunk... plant roots need to breathe too to make the fastest growth and lots of production? ..... [waiting]

This hugel bed is about 2 1/2 feet deep with complete logs buried in it but flat on top for use of the rototiller.  Not ideal but keeps dampness very well, sometimes heeding the drip shut off to it because it just gets too dang wet....  [cool]

glenn kangiser

Looked down the hill to the bottom terrace a few minutes ago and guess what was staring back at me? [noidea'

A bunch of red and orange things.  Seems one of our little peach trees went out and got herself all fruited up without telling daddy... [waiting]

So I just had myself a plate full of Sassy's Zucchini cake and a couple of these small but tasty little peaches.... [hungry]

glenn kangiser

Another load... bigger than the last... and still there is more...  [ouch]

It's not all mine... Norton 750 Commando... basket case?

Supposed to be worth something so it is in there....

Probably the biggest prize... dug down and found my pile of old corrugated tin...

Now I can make antique buildings... [waiting]

Name that tool... what is it?   

Not the vise... that would be too easy.. the thing it is mounted on.... What is it?  How is it used? 

How about this one?

Rick should know this one I think...

PEG688

#1: A stand  black smith would use to bend and shape hot metal.

#2: Some type of surfacing machine , maybe for metal work,  engine heads and the such.   

If the meth heads figure out where 99 % of all scrap metal in Ca. is located at the famous Underground compound , you're in for visitors!!
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

CjAl

well duh! it is a vice mount bench

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 15, 2012, 11:02:13 PM
Another load... bigger than the last... and still there is more...  [ouch]

Rick should know this one I think...

Well Rick is from Idaho and I can tell you it is not a potato, onion nor sugar beet harvester!

From Rick's truck driving days I can tell you it is not a three or four speed Browning transmission.  Oh YA!!  He drove a lot of them and never touched the clutch other that to start and stop.  Babies you guys with your Roadranger Transmissions.   Nor is it a Jacob's Engine Brake.

From my time in the saw and planer mills it is not anything to do with a saw carriage on the head rig, nor a dry kiln.  If it was used to sharpen planer knives and saws it would have to go though one heck of a refit. 

I never seen anything like that on an SD 40 locomotive.   However on those old GE locomotives the lever you had to shove that was connected to the lay shaft and the fuel rack.   ???  Now come to think of it it was up side down from that......  Sort of a dangler.....  You stood there with your hand on a switch turned it to the left to primed the engine, you watched a globe sight glass and the fuel entered and spun and had all these bubbles.  When the bubbles disappeared you shoved in on the dangling layshaft, and turned the switch to the right and you stood there on one foot then the other while the huge generator turned itself into a starter motor and one of two things happened.  Nothing because all those batteries were so low they did not have enough juice to turn that great big cold motor or the generator would slowly start to spin and pick up speed.  You shoved in on the dangler and the air was bathed in a mixture of raw fuel and smoke until it started to heat up......  Those were fun times because if your under the boss supervisor was wanting you to hurry and you wanted to play him or her or tune them up for some one else to play with the rest of the day.  You just stood there priming the engine and watching the sight gage and the acting like you are turning it to start.  Nope that didn't work something is wrong......  back in side the cab you go.  You then made a point to talk to the yard master, the round house foreman and the boss on the radio explaining to each one what was happening as if the others did not hear.   ???  They were all on the same radio channel but never seemed to hear the previous conversation.  Then you messed with the electrical brakers and the huge battery knife switch then go back out and prime the engine again.  Actually you were just priming the under the boss supervisor.  Then about the time the baby boss was going to explode because he or she felt the railroad was going to implode mysteriously the unit would roar to life.  It was magic. 

So we ruled locomotives out.  Yep I think Pegg is right it is a mill.

The stand looks a lot like one that was in an ornamental blacksmithing shop when I was a kid.  They used it to hold stock when they heated and twisted wrought iron and also held the smith's tools and frogs for breaking and bending.                 

glenn kangiser

Quote from: PEG688 on June 15, 2012, 11:59:34 PM
  #1: A stand  black smith would use to bend and shape hot metal.

#2: Some type of surfacing machine , maybe for metal work,  engine heads and the such.   

If the meth heads figure out where 99 % of all scrap metal in Ca. is located at the famous Underground compound , you're in for visitors!!

Good guesses PEG... Think I'll hold out for specific names too.  :)

Meth heads... yes.  They stole another load of steel from down there this week.  Some I thought were too big to lift.  Must have had help.  >:(

If they show up up here it is too dangerous... so many things they could slip and fall over....

glenn kangiser

Quote from: CjAl on June 16, 2012, 06:59:02 AM
well duh! it is a vice mount bench

Functions as one.. but... more please.  Whitlock has been trying to get this from me for ages, but I am going to make him wait for the estate sale.  [waiting]

glenn kangiser

Wonderful story, Rick... so you had to get it started to keep from riling the lady boss.... now that's just great...... [waiting]

You will have a better time figuring it out if you go back to the shop of the steam engines... near when you started engineering?  [noidea'

Sassy

"Those were fun times because if your under the boss supervisor was wanting you to hurry and you wanted to play him or her or tune them up for some one else to play with the rest of the day.  You just stood there priming the engine and watching the sight gage and the acting like you are turning it to start.  Nope that didn't work something is wrong......  back in side the cab you go.  You then made a point to talk to the yard master, the round house foreman and the boss on the radio explaining to each one what was happening as if the others did not hear.   ???  They were all on the same radio channel but never seemed to hear the previous conversation.  Then you messed with the electrical brakers and the huge battery knife switch then go back out and prime the engine again.  Actually you were just priming the under the boss supervisor.  Then about the time the baby boss was going to explode because he or she felt the railroad was going to implode mysteriously the unit would roar to life.  It was magic. "

Have you taken lessons from Glenn  ??? ??? ???
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

rick91351

Quote from: Sassy on June 16, 2012, 01:22:45 PM
"Those were fun times because if your under the boss supervisor was wanting you to hurry and you wanted to play him or her or tune them up for some one else to play with the rest of the day.  You just stood there priming the engine and watching the sight gage and the acting like you are turning it to start.  Nope that didn't work something is wrong......  back in side the cab you go.  You then made a point to talk to the yard master, the round house foreman and the boss on the radio explaining to each one what was happening as if the others did not hear.   ???  They were all on the same radio channel but never seemed to hear the previous conversation.  Then you messed with the electrical brakers and the huge battery knife switch then go back out and prime the engine again.  Actually you were just priming the under the boss supervisor.  Then about the time the baby boss was going to explode because he or she felt the railroad was going to implode mysteriously the unit would roar to life.  It was magic. "

Have you taken lessons from Glenn  ??? ??? ???

???  No but we are about same age.....  In case you did not know it we both graduated from the same school.  Glenn sort of sounds like me and safety blitzes  .....   Just leave me alone and show me some grown up respect and I will work for you until the cows come home.  But start bird dogging me and I would lay a rabbit trail the hounds will never come home on.  Same breath I never filed an accident report for an on duty injury in 36 years and was never disciplined.  But there at the end it was so screwy.  People watched you climb on and off locomotives and then wanted to safety critique you.  I did not know getting on and off a locomotive was so dangerous.  Glad you brought that to my attention.  At the end of my career we all looked like sloths having to look and study each place you are going to have to put your hand or foot. And thank you lords we were now required to wear the Holy Safety Vest and fill out a job briefing book where you had to fill in every blank and then at the end sign the page and safely statement  agreeing that you would not hurt yourself or others........  The Safety Vest reached out and took a hold of anything that might be protruding from the smallest piece of welding slag to a bolt head it was going to catch.  Then the vest was / is break away.  So now you have keep a grip for yourself and one on your break away vest lest you loose your safety vest and then you would not be safe after that point in time.   It was not a rule you had to wear you holy safety vest inside the cab but they preferred that you did.  I guess so the two people in the cab can ID each other.......  [waiting]   When I hired out there was a book of rules the size of an elementary school reader.  When I quit it had morphed to ten time its size.  I am not kidding.