Multi-phased 1 1/2 story home project in Austin, TX

Started by phalynx, February 11, 2007, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Quote from: phalynx on December 23, 2009, 09:26:09 PM
Well here is a video of the lights.  Its a 33MB video.  Sorry it is so large.

http://www.ouramericanadventure.com/christmas09.mov

I never did get it to show.  Waited until it said it was done and nothing showed up.

phalynx

Redoverfarm

Quote from: phalynx on December 23, 2009, 09:57:18 PM
Hmm, do you have Quicktime 7?

Yep but I have no idea what verson it is.  I usually don't have a problem when it opens.

rick91351

Worked here on my Mac.  Never checked my Windows machine.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Abbynrml

Sassy

Played on my computer just fine  :)

WOW, that was a lot of work!  Did you do the music yourselves, too?

That should get some good play if you put it on YouTube - thanks for posting!

Merry Christmas!  Pretty impressive  8)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

phalynx

We don't do the music for this (at least this year we didn't).  Youtube will ban it instantly due to the last song.  That is a very popular song this time of year.

glenn kangiser

Will Youtube ban it even if the name is not in the credits?  I doubt they listen to them all ...do they?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

phalynx

They don't have to listen to them.  They have software that instantly determines if the music matches certain songs.  Its pretty wild.

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

phalynx

Indeed.  Google is soon to be the pure technology partner with the government.  I believe that is the day that Skynet becomes self-aware...   :(

glenn kangiser

Nothing is sacred - anything you say in range of nearly any digital electronic device is now subject to review by government and others, not that they may necessarily want to do it or do it.  With the change to digital TV they are now in nearly every home.

I am hoping the reflection from the top of my head will confuse and blind the satellite spies.   All I have to do is take off my hat, throw my fully charged cell phone into someone else's truck and cut my phone line off with an ax..... [waiting]  

phalynx

Digital tv doesn't give them anything from your house.  What it does give them is an absolute way to prevent you from getting information from a certain format if they want.  Since digital tv is an encrypted format, they can just instruct the tv stations to stop transmitting and you get nothing.  Very few people are going to have the equipment to transmit a digital tv signal that you can receive.  They can transmit an analog tv signal of which no one has an analog tv anymore...

glenn kangiser

How about hard wired to cable?  I have read that the converter boxes have been found with cameras -mics etc - I have seen that debunked and I have seen the debunking debunked.  Is not cable a two way street especially if it supplies internet access also - or satellite dish TV/internet? I think it is possible , no problem.

phalynx

Hard wired is 2 way yes.  Cameras have been hilariously debunked.  We aren't there yet but the highway is open...  They just need to put the cars on it...

ScottA

glenn kangiser

phalynx

glenn kangiser

No kidding [scared]

While not smart enough to be really scared I do like to try to keep up with what they are up to.... [waiting]

phalynx

Yea what's worse is what you have heard is usually years old.  I am afraid of what the gubment has currently.

OkieJohn2

I take solace in the fact that its probably what the gubment wants us to think it has, rather than the reality of it.  Remember when they first sent up the Hubbell, and it didn't work, because they decided it would cost too much to test it first. I also take certain joy from all the politicians who keep getting caught with their pants down(so to speak) in this new digital InfoAge. 
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

dug

Phalynx:

Looking through your construction photos I noticed you used purlins with what looks like roofing felt run parallel with the metal. Just wondering how it worked out as this was along the lines of what I am planning for my roof. Any condensation problems?

Thanks!

RainDog

Quote from: dug on December 28, 2009, 09:08:57 AM
Phalynx:

Looking through your construction photos I noticed you used purlins with what looks like roofing felt run parallel with the metal. Just wondering how it worked out as this was along the lines of what I am planning for my roof. Any condensation problems?

Thanks!

I guess I'm kinda fouled up with the whole idea too. I haven't read back to see what kind of insulation he's going to be packing up against the felt either. Just when I think I've got it, I realize I'm still confused about the whole roof sheathing, felt, metal, and insulation issue. He's gonna spray foam up against the felt? I dunno.

Not to hijack the thread, but if one were to use, say, 1" foam sheathing on the rafters, then purlins for the metal, where would the felt go? On top of the foam board or above the purlins against the metal?

Ugh. Sorry.
NE OK

phalynx

There are no condensation problems due to the fact that we put tar paper up.  If we hadn't, we would have experienced it like Jimmy Cason did.  Although the tar paper is not put on the correct way, it has worked very well and it made it extremely easy to put the metal roofing on.  To me, if using perlins, there is no easy or perfect way to put tar paper on.  It will bow and sag causing water to possibly catch.  Water could technically find its way out of the vertical run tar paper but we haven't seen any issues with that.  It is possible though.  For us, it was a safety/ease factor that made us do it this way. 

We used regular fiberglass insulation.  As I have read, the only insulation that doesn't require tar paper is spray on insulation because it directly bonds to the roofing itself leaving no place for moisture/condensation to collect.  If you put foam sheets and then purlins, you would still have condensation possibly form on the metal roofing.

My way was not the correct way and really shouldn't be used.  But for us, it was the only way we could accomplish it.

dug

Thanks Phalnyx:

I am thinking of using purlins also, one of the big reasons being that putting on the metal would be a whole lot easier and safer. A trusted friend recommended doing it this way, pointing out that you also get a lot better bite with the roofing screws. Maybe it only works well in dry climates (I'm in SW NM). Still contemplating.