11 (64.7%)
Home Depot
2 (11.8%)
Local
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: January 13, 2010, 05:55:56 PM

Redoverfarm

I was just wondering which building supply that most members frequent.  I realize that there may only be one of the major stores available but if there are more than one which one do you feel that you get the best "bang for your buck" at.  Personally I had shopped at a local building supply but as the economy took a downturn it had to close one of it's branches.  Just happened to be mine. This just happened to be 1/2 hour away/  There is a local lumberyard within 20 minutes but you had better take your American Express Card.  So I went to the next available which was Lowes.  Recently I started going to Home Depot which is about 1/2 hour further away.They seem to be just as competitive, the quality about the same but the service is 300% better than Lowes.  There is always an associate willing to steer you in the right direction if you are not familar with the layout of the store.

Abbynrml

Here in Houston I prefer Lowes. Homer de Pot (thats what I call them) is the pits. Never anyone to help and I feel the quality of most of the stuff is worst than Lowes.
However if buying lumber, the local guy in central Texas (Woodson Lumber) is way better than the big box stores. They will usually meet any price that the big guys have too. I just ask for a price match.

peternap

Amelia lumber. I try to stay away from the big box stores unless it's for something small or an emergency.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

ChuckinVa

I frequent both Lowes and HD. In the last two days I have been to three different Lowes stores and they had more associates on the floor than they had customers and the lot was full. I don't know how they can afford to pay all of those folks! I have had good experience at both stores and my preference is Lowes as they usually have a better inventory than the HD I go to. I have not had a reason to check pricing between the two for a large BOM so service is more important to me right now.
CHUCK
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

diyfrank

I go to Lowe's first than HD.  If I don't see what I'm after at either I go to Ace and then work my way to the  smaller stores.
Home is where you make it

dug

I hate the mega-box stores and would love to spend my $ at the local lumber yard. I would even pay a bit more with no complaints, however- I could pick any piece of lumber at the nearest Home Depot and it would be better than the best piece I could find here locally. I have picked through a whole stack there to find three or four good pieces. I don't know where they find this stuff.

poppy

If I'm at home, it's Lowe's first and then HD.  I had to go to HD for the galv. pipe for the foundation piers since Lowe's didn't have large sizes.

When at the farm, it's a local supply house first, then Carter's, then Ace Hardware, and sometimes Wally World  :o  Carter's even sent me to WW one time.

muldoon

just depends on the item, for small things I use the ace hardware near my house.  I have gotten to know the owner of the years and they treat me fantastic and generally have a good selection of things that come up.  The prices are generally 10% or more than lowes or HD...  For lumber, I prefer to buy in Fayette county, either farmers lumber in la grange or direct from the mill over in New Ulm for cedar and pretty stuff.  Home Depot has aweful lumber, even tho I do end up buying it more than I like.  I try to buy handtools on an as needed basis and try to go to sears.  I never bought the big fancy tool kits, just get what I need to do th elittle projects I do and try to get good tools.  Over the years I have started to get a nice toolbox (or three)..  in time it'll be even better.  Also, cant say enough about craigslist for tools and materials. 

I see lowes and home depot like I see walmart.  perhaps a necessary evil, but I dont particularly like them. 

rick91351

Local lumber yard hands down.  I have a very good discount there on lumber and lumber quality is much better even in these lean times.  Not so good on hardware but even then from time to time great deals there as well.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

Lumber:
Lowe's 2.6 miles from home.   
Home depot about 6 miles
Stuff they don't have, Lumber, Inc about 12 miles away

Hardware:
My local True Value Hardware store 2 miles
if they don't have what I want Lowe's ,  Home Depot

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rwanders

I use all three plus a local Ace from time to time. I use a local, but full service lumber yard/bldg supply when I want better quality lumber or larger sizes HD or Lowes doesn't carry. Never found much difference between HD and Lowes on service----HD seems to carry a little bigger inventory though.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Whitlock

I like Glenn's Stop and Saw myself [chainsaw]

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Squirl

Local Supply (Pickett's).  They are less expensive by a few dollars on almost any item. What I don't get there and when they aren't open on Sunday's, I shop at sLowes.  Far better service and a lot more organized than Home Cheapo for the same price.

MountainDon

Here in the SW there is one major difference between the Lowe's and the Home Depot stores. It has nothing to do with product availability, selection or quality of goods sold. Lowe's stores are nicer to shop at during our hot weather, especially when it's hot and rainy. That's because the Lowe's stores are cooled with refrigerated air and the Home Depot stores use evaporative cooling. Lowe's also seem to be tidier for the most part.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

I used to favor HD, as it seemed that the prices were lower, and they had a more professional staff (at least at the store near my house).  I found Lowe's to have more "designer" stuff, and they seemed more expensive.

Recently though, I have noticed that the prices at Lowes have been better, and their selection is better too.  A neighboring town (Rio Rancho) has two very nice big box stores.  Both the HD and Lowes are brand new, very clean, and have good employees.  Another thing I notice... these stores seem to have friendlier employees too.  Hard to walk 200 feet and not get asked how you are doing and if you need help. 

Anyway, I am favoring Lowe's these days.

A pet peeve of mine is that both Lowes and HD have 8 checkout lanes but only one person running a register.  I hate to wait in line to give a merchant $200.  After 5pm I never shop at HD if I can help it, as the lumber register is closed.  Lowe's keeps theirs open all business hours.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

poppy

muldoon reminded me of the fact that I actually check craigslist first.

And Whit, does Glenn have to get inspiration from above in order to get a good cut?

Redoverfarm

Quote from: poppy on January 11, 2010, 12:20:30 PM
muldoon reminded me of the fact that I actually check craigslist first.

And Whit, does Glenn have to get inspiration from above in order to get a good cut?

Might just be praying that it makes it all the way through the log.  ;)