14 x 15 Hand Hewn Cabin

Started by MadisonsDad, October 24, 2008, 01:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Jerry, 14 wide=7' each half x10" up for each of those 7= 70" + 26" = 96" or 8'.

Don't forget it will be narrow at the top.  Looks right to me, but I was trying to keep my brain from having to work so hard.  Brains are a bit hard to come by you know... [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Whitlock

This might help for getting your rafter length???

Take half the width of your building X that by 1.30 for a 10/12 pitch add your over hang.
So 1.30 X 7=9.1 then add your over hang.

Use 1.20 for a 8/12
       1.25 for a 9/12
       1.30 for a 10/12
       1.41 for a 12/12

Hope this helps,W
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

MadisonsDad

Thanks guys, that's good stuff Whitlock.

When you install metal on the roof what's usually the measurement for the gap at the top that the ridge cap covers up?

glenn kangiser

It can vary some but on the steel buildings I did it was usually about 4 inches- pitch was only 2/12 though.

You can work it out to be a continuous vent if you want by putting 1/4 hardware cloth under the cap and leaving it open - no seals under the cap.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

This is what I did and talked about it with Pete.  Here is what we discussed regarding the ridge area and the opening at the top of the metal.  I used screen first for the litle critters(flies and bugs) then hardware cloth for the bigger such as bats and squirrels.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=1568.msg68851#msg68851

In regards to the collar ties.  I used (3) 3/8" X 6" lag screws per side with the head side on the rafter w/ washer.  If your logs are oak I would pre-drill undersize the holes as the lags will snap in the hardwood.

MadisonsDad

MadisonsDad

Here you can see how the logs have settled over time. My top plate is level and square to the bottom log.

MadisonsDad

Ok question time, In this photo you can see the opening in the middle where I'm going to put in the dormer. How wide should it be? How tall should it be? I'm thinking a gable style dormer but maybe a shed style would be more practical? If I did a shed style what is the least pitch I could go with a metal roof? The roof is 10/12

If it's gable style...I'm thinking 4' wide, and maybe 6' high so we can stand under it when looking out the window this direction? Does this sound about right? Maybe a little higher?

Sassy

Really like that old cabin - the proportions look good with the roof - are you going to put porches around?  I love Redover's cabin - yours is the same type - should look really neat - you sure you have to cover it up with metal?  Can't tell you what type of dormer - I like the peaked roof type, but probably a lot more work... 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

I think Gable dormer from the ridge would be more  appropriate for the style you are doing.  Width can be as required.

As I recall, peak at 8' would not give much room for more than 6' high considering the pitch.  Rough calc on a 4' wide dormer pitch would be around 10/12 w' allowance for joists thickness @ 6'

Redoverfarm

Jerry below is a website of a guy that does these for a living. His yard is just minutes from the house.  You might look throuogh is photo gallery and see what he is putting on his houses and get some ideas. 

http://www.antiquecabinsandbarns.com/photogallery.aspx#PS_Album_Top

Sassy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 01, 2008, 03:01:50 PM
Jerry below is a website of a guy that does these for a living. His yard is just minutes from the house.  You might look throuogh is photo gallery and see what he is putting on his houses and get some ideas. 

http://www.antiquecabinsandbarns.com/photogallery.aspx#PS_Album_Top

I sure enjoyed looking through those cabins, thanks for posting, Red!

Redoverfarm

Sassy did you happen to catch the latest post on Dogtrot.  I must have hit the forum at a bad time when other things of more importance were being discussed and it was lost in the shuffle.

If mine would just turn out 1/2 of what the inside of those look like I will be happy.  But the ones in the gallery probably eat up mega bucks.  I stopped by his yard the other day and Picked up the mantle for mine(16" wide log). His dad said he was at the Capitol setting one up for the Cultural Center.  He just came back from setting one at Monticello (Thomas Jeffersons place in Va.) He has shipped them all over the US including Hawaii. Didn't take the time to go through all the cabins to see if there was one in your area.

Sassy

Just hadn't gotten to replying - sometimes I get lazy & just read & look at everything.  Your's can compete with any of those!  Especially since you've done all the work yourself...  anyone can hire a bunch of people & spend tons of money to get a look they want (well, if you have the money you can... )  But doing it yourself, taking the time to get it just right...  that takes lots of work, dedication & vision... 

And it's great that so many people have that here on this forum.   :)  The new ones can see what others have done & learn & get ideas. 

Redoverfarm

Jerry since your earlier post I have been thinking about your options.  I believe that a shed dormer would fit more into the period of the logs.  In regards to the pitch I would not go any less than a 3/12.  If you are planning on a metal roof.  I think it is the manufacturing standard of minimum.  It will however lessen the headroom vs. a gable style.  But if you are like me and that's what you want then go with the gable.  Mine cabin is probably a far cry from original but I still tend to lean in that direction when I make a modification.

In the cabins I have seen with a shed dormer they are actually very low.  But then again most were originally designed as a 1 story and they just pushed the envelope so to speek and added a room upstairs in the attic.  But most didn't go with that steep of a pitch (6/12 to 8/12) which didn't allow a lot of room.

I am sure you will make it work one way or the other. Keep us posted.   

MadisonsDad

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm leaning towards a shed style that ends up being a bit low on the inside to try to salvage as much pitch as I can. I originally had my mind set on a little gable but I agree with Redoverfarm in that a shed style kinda looks more correct with this style cabin?  Plus I like the idea of no valleys up there. Now I just need to find some "How to frame a shed style dormer" articles and get back to building.

I took a break from the cabin for a few days to finish up our soybean harvest and get things put away for winter around here. I did spend part of this morning working on a small bridge that spans a little creek next to where the cabin will eventually be. My step-father and I have put in alot of time on that bridge and it is almost complete. We were kidding that we should have a ribbon cutting ceremony for it. I took a few pictures but they look a little more dreary than it really is because all the leaves have fallen. You can see my kids down by the river in the one pic, that's their favorite place to be when we go out there. Next to the water, almost falling in. The next pic shows some small oaks and the distance I am off my farm fields. If I could have just one of those little mountains from Montana out there that would be great. The last one shows my buddy Cody, who can't seem to keep his ears on straight.

Sassy

Nice bridge  :)  kids always like the water it seems...  our place up here gets pretty brown in the fall, especially when all the leaves start falling off the trees.   Cody looks like he's having fun, too!

MadisonsDad

Here's one more that shows the river a bit better and what should be the view out the north end of the cabin. You can also see the beavers have been busy improving my view. Might be time for me to thin the herd on them again. If they just knew when to quit we'd get along fine.

glenn kangiser

Sassy

MadisonsDad

Just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to all.

We have had a very tough day around here. My buddy Cody in the photo above was struck and killed be a passing truck on the highway in front of the house last night. I spent the morning finding a nice place for him to rest out by the cabin spot. I have been very busy lately hauling grain and haven't worked on the cabin or spent as much time with him as I normally do. Yesterday was an exception though, We took a long ride to a local elevator in the morning, then played fetch a bit in the afternoon, then took a trip down to the river to get rid of some pumpkin's. Shortly after we returned home he was in and out of the house and it happened. I heard it from inside and immediately new what happened. Traffic was busy because of the holiday, he had been following his nose a bit more lately and had been expanding his little walks around the yard. I have been keeping a better eye on him running free but I let my guard down. I blame myself, The lady who hit him had a very tough time with it, my wife and kids are dealing with it as best we can. He was just a little over 9 months old, and we had big plans for him being a big part of the family for many years to come.  We haven't taken the time this fall to take many pictures and this one is the only one I have of him since he outgrew his puppy stage from the summer.

If your a pet owner give them a big hug and be thankful, It's pretty quiet around here without him...

PEG688

Bummer about Cody ,  :( Sad day indeed.  :(

On your cabin , how have you attached those pony walls ?

You have a major hinge point deal going there !

Fine Homebuilding had a good article in the Jan 2009 , issue # 200 you may want to pick up.

I'd say a shed dormer would "fit" best, and provide some relief from outward forces on the pony walls , and provide a little sheer as well.

I'm quite concerned about those pony walls / hinge point area, you should be as well.

Again,  I'm sorry about the dog , I hate that part of pet ownership. Best wishes to you and yours.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Sorry to hear about Cody.  My Jeep had  a dead battery today and I had to walk my 3 dogs along the highway for 3 miles.  Since they are not used to traffic here on the mountain, I was a bit worried but they took to the makeshift leash well and made it OK.

I know how you feel though.  Things have to get better from here.

Redoverfarm

Sorry to hear about Cody.  My son had a Blue Heeler that was one year that met the same fate.  Waited a year and got another one.  I put a training collar on him and adjusted his attitude a little at the bridge leading to the house.  He has done good so far when loose.  My son is afraid to let him loose overnight though so we put him in the kennel.  This is the third one.  1st (Aust Shepherd)ran off with stray bear dogs.  A little over protective of this one.

MadisonsDad

[quote author=PEG688 link=topic=5452.msg73631#msg73631 date=1227854843

On your cabin , how have you attached those pony walls ?

You have a major hinge point deal going there !

It may not show in the photo's but the top log has been notched for the upper floor joists. That notch is wide enough for the 2x6's to sit in that notch and is screwed  to the floor joists. They are also toenailed in with 6" screws to the upper log. The floor joists are true 2 x 6's and are as old as the cabin. This is the same way the original roof was attached, only it was 2x4 construction and nails of course. I plan to attack that hinge point again when I board up the sides for the exterior siding. Not sure what else I can do there.

[/quote]