12x18 "Shed" going up in Lakes Region NH

Started by Lorangerlife, September 29, 2008, 08:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorangerlife

Thanks Don. 

Putting up an 18x12 wall with 2x6 just wasn't happening especially now that it's a solo build here on in.

soomb

Don,  Do you feel that an 18' wall could be done in 3 segments with this method, or is there a limit as to how many modules you can do before the wall is compromised?
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

MountainDon

Keep in mind that when you install the upper plate to tie everything together you want 4 feet of overlap minimum on each side of the joint. (Upper plate was left out of the illustrations) As long you keep that in mind you should be okay.

I can manage to tilt up a 10 foot section (2x6, 24" OC) myself okay, though the door and window headers make it a bit heavy. In a pinch you could probably leave the header portion out and install it after the wall is lifted vertical. More work / harder to do it that way but when you're on your own sometimes you improvise.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Lorangerlife

Yet another crappy cell phone pic but you can see the advantec is down and I have 80 sticks in the bed of the blue truck in the background that will become my walls tomorrow.  Sheathing and roofing being delivered in the morning and hope to be doing that Sunday if the weather holds and my generator keeps up with the saws.

Also a shameless plug for my dog Xandyr.  He is already barking at anything that moves in the woods =)

glenn kangiser

Cell phone pix are better than no pix... I'm guilty myself. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

soomb

nothing wrong with a little bark to establish territory.

Lorangerlife

Made some more progress this afternoon and so did Xandyr.  It is a good thing wild turkeys are pretty quick as he seriously thought he was going to bring one to me.  I managed to get the three easy walls up and tomorrow I will finish up the front and get some sheathing up along with the roof and its sheathing.

Me (6'2") for size reference as to how high this "shed" is.

The last wall I got up for the day

Lorangerlife

Just a quick update... ran into some issues over the weekend and haven't been able to get nearly as much done as I wanted to.  As of right now I'm working on fixing a couple mistakes that I shouldn't have made and wrapping up the sheathing before the roof goes on.

Quick pic for the update.

rdzone

Larangerlife,

I can't see in the pictures, do you have any diagonal bracing on the posts (ie the posts to the beams) to prevent their collapse?  If not I would add some, before the structure gets to tall.

Some might think it is over kill but I live in earthquake country. 
Chuck

Redoverfarm

If nothing else on the four corners in both directions.  45 to the beams from the post. 

Lorangerlife

I'm doing the 45 degree bracing with cut 4x4 pt posts and some simpson T straps before I start on the roof. 

I hadn't really thought of it much where I have been on the ground all this time.  Guess I'll be doing those next =)

soomb

Mistakes are tough, but can you share what they are so we can learn?

Lorangerlife

Quote from: soomb on October 21, 2008, 08:07:43 PM
Mistakes are tough, but can you share what they are so we can learn?

My bad, sorry about that.

The mistake I made was with the framing on the 6' slider.  I used a single jack stud with a doubled up 2x8 header & plywood spacer followed up by the single king stud.  On a span greater than 5' you need to use a double jack setup here.  No biggie just a time consuming mistake to fix.

I also nixed the transom windows when a friend bartered with me that I help his mom move in trade for a 6' slider, a 5'x6' fixed window (really cool looking), and a crank out window that cranks out 4 sections of windows at the same time.

I also made the mistake of not posting my building permit which led to practically being stalked by one of the older neighbors down the road from me who promptly complained that I was building a house without a permit.  It is now sealed and nailed to a tree on my property line directly under the no trespassing sign and land use fee sign indicating that motion sensitive cameras are in use.  I think he crapped himself when the land use officer told him this was my "shed"

soomb

Thanks, hopefully he will stay out of your business, but my guess is he will nose around some more.

Best of luck.

cbc58

looking good.  will they allow you to put a woodstove in your "shed"? 

Lorangerlife

Quote from: cbc58 on October 22, 2008, 07:56:00 AM
looking good.  will they allow you to put a woodstove in your "shed"? 

"Technically" they wont give a permit for a wood stove and electric unless the house is built already. 

soomb

With a nosy neighbor, how will you provide heat in the interim?

Will you be full time in the "shed" prior to the home being built?  If so, what about plumbing?

cbc58

Can you claify...  do you mean once you get the "shed" built they will allow you to have a woodstove and electric... or are you saying that it has to be a livable unit to get those?  The reason I ask is that I'm considering building a 12x16 "shed" also in NH (mondnock region) and was going to call it a "shed" or workshop or studio which is what it will be until I can turn it into a guest sleeping quarters... years down the road.

Bishopknight

Reminds me of my 12x16, nice job. I learned alot doing a small shed style building first.

Thanks for the pics!

MountainDon

Quote from: cbc58 on October 22, 2008, 10:04:29 AM
...do you mean once you get the "shed" built they will allow you to have a woodstove and electric...

This may vary from county to county, even within the same state. It can also vary within a county's municipal government areas. It's always best to check locally and determine what the local government agencies have to say about what you want to do.

There may be several criteria that can kick a shed into a permit required category. There is a size rule; the size can vary from place to place, although 200 sq ft is common. Where I am in NM it's 200 sq ft.

Others triggers can be sleeping and cooking facilities, no matter the size of the building. Some places are also lax on that. I know someone here in suburbia who has gotten away with "temporary" living quarters for a relative in a Tuff Shed behind their home for at least a couple years. If a neighbor complained that could quickly bring and end to that though.

Some places will not issue a permit to have electrical power on site until a dwelling building permit is issued. Ditto on septic or other connection for waste water.

And in other places you may be so far off the beaten track that there is little worry about officialdum rules and regulations.  ;D

So to reiterate the only way to be sure what is required in any one area to to inquire in that area. I would do that either in person or by telephone, and if I was paranoid I'd use caller ID blocking on the call. *67   sometimes that won't work.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Lorangerlife

Bishop, Thanks for the Kudos.  This is to get me warmed up for building the house as well.

To answer some questions.

In NH State law shows that no permit is needed for small structures.  However this changes from town to town with local ordinance as I quickly found out.  Best bet is to check things out and proceed from there.  For instance in my town I need a permit to put up a fence.  After speaking with several people it has to do with all the people from Mass building up here and raising taxes so much that locals lose their houses.  Could be a load of BS for all I know though.

In my case my neighbors can't see anything and dare not come onto my property but this guy saw truck after truck delivering materials, and an increase in traffic coming to a previously dead dead end.  If my game cameras grab him I'll just kindly show him and give him a verbal warning that next time I will be pressing charges and that I can't guarantee that my .50 desert eagle will tell the difference between him and a bear once he is on my property  =)  I really don't think he will cause much more trouble now that a permit has been posted and he is aware that there is one though.

About the stove and electric issue. And this is strictly just for my town your town might not care at all just like my neighboring town is a total free for all there.   

I say when the actual house is built because once you have power and heat you pretty much have a workshop and without a house on your property its a no no unless you are commercially zoned then you can get away with it.  I plan on connecting to the grid once I have the permit for the house.  The "shed" will be setup as a grid tie, so that in case of future power outages there is solar, battery, and generator backup.  I'm not so worried about the heat though as you won't be able to see any of it exiting the structure from the road. 

I hope this helps out somewhat...  I know that there have been a couple others on here the guy in NH who built the 10x14 to be precise who managed to get electric and everything brought to his place.  I will look through the forums and see if we can't pull him in here to give some advice as to how he got it.

Squirl

In NY I see many properties get electric to the property with a hook up for RV's and trailer's.  You can just run the electric from there.  It is an idea.

cbc58

Tks.  Can I inquire where you are in NH?  I went to school in New Hampton for a year... anywhere near there?  We used to go to a place called "sculptured rocks"... ever heard of that?... pretty cool rock formations with natural cut-in pools you could dive into.

Lorangerlife

Quote from: cbc58 on October 22, 2008, 01:19:23 PM
Tks.  Can I inquire where you are in NH?  I went to school in New Hampton for a year... anywhere near there?  We used to go to a place called "sculptured rocks"... ever heard of that?... pretty cool rock formations with natural cut-in pools you could dive into.

lol... I'm about 5 min away from Newfound lake in Bristol NH.  So about 15 minutes away from the sculptured rocks if I am not mistaken.  its right down the road. 

If you are going to be building and need a hand with anything, even if its just lugging wood feel free to count me in.

cbc58

They still got "Carr Oil" in Bristol?  (I went to college with one of the kids) Newfound Lake is beautiful.