Septic System update: Built!

Started by NetHog, July 15, 2007, 12:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NetHog

Remember us talking about getting the septic system approved?

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1175282121

Well, we spent the last 2 1/2 weeks up at the property building it (amongst doing other jobs).

Suffice to say, at this moment, we hate dirt :) It's been 100+ most days since July 4th, which means we've had to be up at 6am to get anything done, and dirt dust was flying around everywhere, getting in everything.

Still, the septic system is in, and approved. I'll get some pictures up as soon as we get back home, but right now we're on slow dialup (which is an amazing thing in itself, considering we're in a travel trailer on the property as I type this). I'm thinking of putting together some web pages describing what we've done and describing a pump-to-gravety system. Thoughts?

In all, we were pleased on how much the health inspector helped us through the process. As did the electrical inspector, reminding us of details to make sure that septic fumes don't work their way back to the control box. After inspection (and even suggested by the health inspector) we did a 60ft run from a very convinient RV dump, so that the trailer is now "fully plumbed".

Oh yeah, and ask Stink about how she made me cry while back-filling the septic field.

glenn kangiser

OK Hog -- you got me goin now-- what'd Stink do?

BTW - great progress there and please do post the information and pix when you can.

So what's our Stinkerbell, the famous equipment operator been up to?? :-?

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

BlueStone

Hello NetHog,

I am interested in the type of septic system you installed. We may have to go alternate on our property according to a soil scientist we hired.  

Thanks

NetHog

The septic system is "pump to gravity", just a basic septic system, but with the field at a higher level than the septic tank. The soil was on the edge of acceptable, so I had to keep the depth of the trenches within the first 12 inches.

To save having to shift lots of rock, I chose to go with the Infiltrator "Quick4" system: http://www.infiltratorsystems.com/quick4.htm
150 linear feet was easily achieved with 36x 4ft chambers and 6 end caps. I was able to carry all equipment on a 8'x12' trailer with no problem. With the right soil type, you may be allowed a 20% reduction of linear feet. I didn't have the right soil type ;)

To answer the "what did Stink do" ... when she was on her Kubota back-filling the trenches, the bucket met square on with two of the chambers, lifting them half out of the ground and breaking off some of the plastic. So we had to dig them out and replace them (thankfully I had 3 extra chambers on hand). After a few other minor clips, we decided to take a slower approach of taking excess soil (from the septic tank dig-out) and dump it over the trenches.

So the moral of the story is to be gentle while burying Infiltrator's.

NetHog

QuoteHello NetHog,

I am interested in the type of septic system you installed. We may have to go alternate on our property according to a soil scientist we hired.  

Thanks
You might want to look into "mound" systems. This requires importing lots of the right dirt. Another alternative used by one of my neighbors is an evaporation system. This requires more square footage.

BlueStone

Hi  NetHog, Yeah we have been thinking of using the mound system if approved. I may drive up to Virginia to see one recently installed.

But first our county has to come out and reject us. Then I have to appeal to the supervisor who then will call the district engineer in Raleigh. She will then send someone out to look and give us a list of systems they have approve for our situation. We select the system then hire a certified company to install it and then sign a yearly maintenance contract with a company approved by the state. Lots of red tape and it takes about 3 months I am told.

But good news. The building department inspector has agreed to issue the bldg permit before the septic is approved and was understanding of our situation.. This will allow us to start construction as planned.

Thanks

StinkerBell

QuoteOK Hog -- you got me goin now-- what'd Stink do?

BTW - great progress there and please do post the information and pix when you can.

So what's our Stinkerbell, the famous equipment operator been up to?? :-?

Well, after the inspector came out and said we passed we needed to back fill the mounds. We have a little Kubota BX24, and well, you see the bottom of the bucket snagged two of the chambers ripping and collapsing them. Poor Hog had to shovel them gently out and replace them. We had weather that was a 100+ each day and the hot weather and the dirt and then this. This was indeed a test of ones marriage, especially mine.

I LOVE YOU HOG.

NetHog

I spent some time chatting to our inspector before he even came out to inspect the soil type. Is that an option for you, or have you already done that? Usually they have a time of day (8am-9am in some places) where they field questions.

In particular, by chatting to my inspector before I dug the test holes, he had a general understanding of the soil types of the area and recommended to me (for my specific locality) to build on the higher-end of the property away from the river based on tests he has performed on neighbors. We also discussed the pro's and con's of using the Quick4 chambers and reductions.

glenn kangiser

It could happen to the best of us Stink.  I'm sure I must have torn up something recently.  Oh yeah - the hundred pair telephone cable.  I thought I was at least 20 feet from it -- they made a slight detour from where I thought it was .. and then the guy who was supposed to come out and mark it made more excuses and it's still not marked.  

We have rocky brushy 30 to 40% grades and these guys just don't like to do the job.

But my guts really flopped and sank when I saw that cable hanging from the left tooth of my Bobcat.  The phone people were cool about it though. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

BlueStone

QuoteI spent some time chatting to our inspector before he even came out to inspect the soil type. Is that an option for you, or have you already done that? Usually they have a time of day (8am-9am in some places) where they field questions.

We can meet at 7:30 -8:00 AM. It's probably a good idea to do that.

StinkerBell

I do want everyone to know that our inspector was very nice and very helpful.
He encouraged us so much with this project and was delighted that we as home owners decided to do it ourself.

NetHog

Picture time :)

This is what a stack of Quick-4 connectors looks like to do 150ft of laterals.

When I grow up, I want to be a big back-hoe just like him :)

Delivery of 1500gal tank (1000gal septic + 500gal pump chamber)

Stink's got talent.

Before back-fill

After partial back-fill (for safety reasons)

Leech field

I know people have been wanting to know what I look like...

Pump chamber complete!

D-Box with pipes. The inlet pipe from the pump has a step from 2" SCH40 to 4" ASTM3034 to reduce pressure.

D-Box with levelers attached to the outlet pipes.

Control box.

Laterals with inspection points.

More pictures here.

Pa_Kettle

Wow, nice detail!  Do the field pipes (PVC?) extend inside the infiltrators?  If they do, are they perforated? How many gallons is your tank?

Thanks,
PK

NetHog

QuoteWow, nice detail!  Do the field pipes (PVC?) extend inside the infiltrators?  If they do, are they perforated? How many gallons is your tank?

Thanks,
PK
Pipes go in a few inches, no more.
Tank is 1500gal 3 chamber (1000gal septic + 500gal pump)

glenn kangiser

Great Pix Nethog.  You look like your feeling down. :-/

NetHog

QuoteGreat Pix Nethog.  You look like your feeling down. :-/
Stink said I was looking down in the dumps...

I eventually got out of it

glenn kangiser

There's dumps in there? :-?

Looks like you two did a great job on a project most people wouldn't tackle. :)

NetHog

QuoteThere's dumps in there? :-?

Looks like you two did a great job on a project most people wouldn't tackle. :)
Thanks! Not sure if we realized what we let ourselves in for.

BTW, some land pictures...

This is looking at the property from the road.

How about this for a view...

Continue walking and you also get this view :)

glenn kangiser

Really nice property and more proof that if you want to do something bad enough and are willing to work for it, study, roll up your sleeves and do it,  it is possible.  Look at the skills you gained and the things you learned. :)

NetHog

QuoteReally nice property and more proof that if you want to do something bad enough and are willing to work for it, study, roll up your sleeves and do it,  it is possible.  Look at the skills you gained and the things you learned. :)
I have to agree there. I joke with people that I now know more about septic than I want to ;) But seriously, people at work asked me "how did you know how to do that?" Comes down to reading and learning about the subject, and willing to listen to the experts.

glenn kangiser

This topic reminds me of the Septic pumper truck that had a sign that said "It may be crap to you but it's my bread and butter."

G'nite Hog.  G'nite Stink. :)

John Raabe

NetHog:

Good work! You're off to a good start on a great project.   :)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

NetHog

Thanks John!

Last year we constructed a 400A power stool per recommendation of the power company...

After this we got phone connected and had a local company come out and drill for water (100ft). We did the electric post at the well ourselves and the well company installed the pump.

The well has a 2gal holding tank inside it, and a constant pressure adapting pump which slows down or speeds up to maintain a constant pressure. A little pricy, but provides a very compact system.

So now we have all the amenaties at the property :)