roofing question

Started by ScottA, March 11, 2008, 09:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on March 20, 2008, 04:57:33 PM

I was just pondering making a drawing... and now I snagged a copy of that.

Ponder no longer my friend  :) We can count on you , all Glenn can think of  / his  mind goes to /  is the gutter when FLASHING is brought up  ::)

And Glenn , I didn't say "A" gutter,  as in rain gutter , I was thinking the side of the road , analogy / example.  [toilet] rofl   I like this new one as well ,  heh

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

ScottA

OK so by looking at Peg's book the roofer told me right. I tried to hire him but he wouldn't work for just beer.

PEG688

Quote from: ScottA on March 20, 2008, 08:08:17 PM

OK so by looking at Peg's book the roofer told me right. I tried to hire him but he wouldn't work for just beer.

Well he's not much of a roofer then! 

Thats a joke yanno  :)

glenn kangiser

Imagine you took your skill saw and cut through the roof at 90 degrees, PEG -- I just drew a cut that could be applied to any roof pitch.  You guys didn't say you wanted any fancy 3D perspective drawing. ::)

You didn't expect a real good drawing for free did you? hmm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 20, 2008, 08:48:07 PM

You didn't expect a real good drawing for free did you? hmm

Yes !  ;D

gandalfthegrey

Glenn?  Your drawing made the top of the list.  :)  Now where did I put that dang list? ???
Bad Wolf

glenn kangiser

Well -- it illustrated something. hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 20, 2008, 11:58:23 PM

Well -- it illustrated something. hmm

Ya it did , you can't use flat roofs  details , to show sloped roof details  d*

I understood the cut view part , but still the roof part needs slope , thats like a torch down detail , except the metal would be on top and torched / heated to seal at the eave / edge.

Good try Glenn your heart was in the right place. I think  ??? 

lockman

Not tryin to hijack this thread, but Im in the process of installing a metal roof. I've got the eave trim, which goes on before the panels. Then after the panels, Ive got the rake trim that goes on. My question is, should I put down a drip edge on the rake over the underlayment, and under the panels, and then the rake trim also, or just use the rake trim?

PEG688

Quote from: lockman on March 21, 2008, 12:16:10 AM

Not tryin to hijack this thread, but Im in the process of installing a metal roof. I've got the eave trim, which goes on before the panels. Then after the panels, Ive got the rake trim that goes on. My question is, should I put down a drip edge on the rake over the underlayment, and under the panels, and then the rake trim also, or just use the rake trim?

No harm in your post that I see.

Most metal roof rake trim is a 90 degree set up and generally quite wide , you'd have issues unless you used a flat 90 degree metal and it would be buried back under that larger rake trim so without seeing your metal and guessing like I did I'd say , No.

lockman

Thanks, I didnt think it would be neccesary, but just thought I'd check. I've got the underlayment and the eave trim up. Hopefully it'll stay dry this weekend so I can start puttin the panels on.

MountainDon

Just the metal roofing rake, IMO. We had a new metal panel roof installed a couple years ago. The wide metal roofing rake edge is all that's needed; at least that's what my hired roofing company guys did.

The only possible reason I could see for installing a standard drip edge on the rake before doing the metal roof would be if you were expecting long delays in getting the job completed. Then it might save some potential wind damage to the underlayment.  :-\
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Not used in a steel building so the steel roof is the same -- no drip edge because there is nothing to drip- the rake (Gable) trim covers the area.  Condensation should be taken care of by the felt and there shouldn't be much of that with sheathing and felt below.

ScottA

After 3 1/2 days of roofing I can safely say that the best advice is to hire a roofer. Oh well, too late now. Back to it.

MountainDon

Thank you, Scott. You've reaffirmed my decision in '05 to hire out the re-roofing of our home in the 'burbs.

But I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the cabin myself.  :-\
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Scott what would a contractor charge to do your roof?  Take that amount and when you get the last shingle on divide your time into that amount. That will tell you what you are worth. ;D ;D

ScottA

You sure know how to make a guy feel worthless.  d*  On the otherhand I can always imagine the roofer trying to fix a leak under his house in January.  :)

Redoverfarm

Scott I am sure with all the guidance ;D you received at CP combined with your attention to detail that it was probably done better than any contractor would have done. Besides it is the learning process that has it's value.