Wall Plugin for SketchUp

Started by Medeek, March 05, 2017, 12:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Version 2.7.8 - 02.11.2022
- Enabled staggered studs for rectangular walls.

Rather than enable yet another parameter and make the menu that much bigger I decided to utilize the "Stud Ply" parameter to toggle this option.  If you set the stud ply to "0", you will get a staggered stud wall as shown.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.
Designer, Programmer and Engineer

Medeek

Version 2.7.8b - 02.14.2022
- Enabled staggered stud walls within the Copy Wall tool.

Tutorial 27- Staggered Stud Walls (15:09 min.)

https://youtu.be/kZD1HANtTiw

Medeek

Version 2.7.9 - 02.16.2022
- Fixed a bug with vertically offset doors and garage doors in the "No Framing" mode.
- Fixed a bug with (arched) half or full glass doors that have a prairie or perimeter grilles installed.

Some minor fixes but annoying little bugs nonetheless, one was just a simple typo that has been waiting to be found for months.  Highly recommend updating to this latest version if only to make these two bugs go away.  A big thank-you to the user base who finds these bugs and notifies me so that I can address them.

Medeek

Version 2.8.0 - 02.19.2022
- Enabled insulation within the preview menu of the estimating module.

The insulation was already part of the CSV file output however I had not added it to the preview screen. 

This update was per customer request.

Medeek

Tutorial 28 - Estimating Preview (12:02 min.)

https://youtu.be/hXKqDdzZ9xE

I'm still not entirely sure what direction I am going to take the estimating module but much work remains to be done.

Medeek

Version 2.8.1 - 02.21.2022
- Added material totals to the CSV output of the estimating module: Common Studs, Top Plates, Bottom Plates, Sheathing, Cladding, Gypsum and Insulation.

I will need to give some additional thought on how to handle cripple studs, king studs, trimmer studs, sill plates, headers and studs from non-rectangular walls.  Some of these may not need a project/model wide total and the current tabulation may be sufficient.

Medeek

I think it might make more sense to just have the total lineal footage (or inches) for cripple studs and sill plates.

However the king studs are typically the same as regular studs so probably better just to provide a quantity (count) on those.

Trimmer studs may vary quite a bit in length/height so I'm still waffling on what to do with them.

Regular studs, yes the quantity makes the most sense and the logic is smart enough to break out these totals based on height and stud depth and/or width if necessary.

Thoughts?

Once I code this I'm going to be reluctant to change it unless there is a really good argument to change it up.

Medeek

Version 2.8.1b - 02.22.2022
- Added material totals to the CSV output of the estimating module: King Studs, Jack Studs, Cripple Studs and Sill Plates.
- Fixed a bug in the estimating module for in-wall columns.

The new items I just added are highlighted in yellow:

There are still a number of items that need to be added to the estimating module for the wall plugin, but I will take those on a case-by-case basis as requested.  Some items that come to mind are:

- holdowns w/ anchor bolts
- window and door units
- blocking (is this important?)
- stairs (treads, stringers, railing etc...)
- free standing posts
- beams
- shutters
- exterior trim
- interior casing/molding
- exterior wainscoting

Medeek

Now that I have the totals more or less in place for rectangular walls I think it would be a good time to build a "cost database" into the estimating module.

I don't think it makes much sense to breakout the cost on a per wall basis so the totals section is where I would implement the cost analysis and display the dollar amounts.

Some items like Studs would be priced on a per item basis, while plates and cripples will be on a LF basis. Sheathing, Cladding, Insulation and Gypsum would be on a SQFT basis.

Medeek

Here is a first look at the cost database system:

There is probably still a few things to work out with this system but the basic framework is now in place and now all I need to do is implement the cost system with the estimating module and see if we can get some output.

There will also be quite a few more cost "types" that will need to be added to the system as well as to the Medeek Estimator.  Lots of work ahead.

Medeek

Version 2.8.2 - 02.25.2022
- Added a Cost Database to the Medeek Estimating Module.
- Enabled Cost Analysis to the Medeek Estimating Module for Rectangular Wall Panels.

The initial "BETA" version of the cost analysis database and algorithm is now available for testing.

Medeek

Version 2.8.2b - 02.28.2022
- Fixed a minor bug with the estimating module for metric templates.

Medeek

Version 2.8.3 - 03.11.2022
- Fixed a bug in the door opening algorithm for bi-fold doors.

Medeek

Version 2.8.4 - 03.19.2022
- Added a "TRIAL" licensing notice at SketchUp startup to alert users to activate their license/serial numbers if running in trial mode.

Medeek

Version 2.8.5 - 04.18.2022
- Fixed a bug when the auto-assign materials option is turned off.

Medeek

Medeek Wall Plugin Tutorial 29 - Why a Wall Plugin?

https://youtu.be/O4OJqoci7sk

Medeek

Version 2.8.6 - 04.28.2022
- Added the CMU CORE framing mode for concrete block wall construction that includes sheathing, cladding and gypsum.

I've had quite a few requests recently for a CMU option that also included all of the sheathing and cladding options.  This new update hopefully addresses that need.

Medeek

Very helpful and informative video put together by Braden York on integrating Quantifier Pro and the Wall plugin:

https://youtu.be/GWnwib94lSI

Medeek

I've enabled an ICF option within the Foundation plugin however I am wondering if I should also enable an ICF option within the wall plugin?

https://www.nudura.com/products/

https://www.nudura.com/media/4088/2020-tremco-nudura-products-lr.pdf

Corners and Tee intersections might get a little interesting but I'm quite sure I can code my way through it.

Thoughts?

I've also been thinking about SIPS as well, so many different building systems to consider.

Medeek

The current system of setting the wall framing material in the global settings is not flexible enough.  Let's assume you want to have some steel framed walls and also some wood frame walls in the same model/file, the current system really does not allow for this concurrent use of different wall types as it stands now.  The wall framing material needs to be on a per wall basis...  working on it.

Medeek

Medeek

Version 2.8.8 - 06.02.2022
- Added Simpson Strong-Tie "High Strength" wood shearwalls to the SSW module: 24", 18" and 12".

I don't think the older Simpson wood shearwalls are available for purchase anymore from Simpson but I left them in just in case someone has a need for them.

Medeek

Version 2.8.9 - 06.05.2022
- Added a "resolution" parameter into the General tab of the Global Settings for adjusting the smoothness of annotation text.

By default this parameter is set to 0.5 which may be a bit choppy/pixelated for some.  For maximum smoothness set this parameter to zero (as shown above).

Medeek

Version 2.8.9b - 06.06.2022
- Fixed a bug with trimmer studs for garage doors.

!!!! CRITICAL BUG FIX !!!!
Note that if you are using more than two trimmer studs on your garage doors you will get an error and your garage door will not be drawn.  Update to this latest version to fix this bug with the garage door module.

This bug has existed for some time and I was probably not aware of it or made aware of it until today because most garage doors don't use more than two trimmers/jack studs.  However, it is still strange to me how long it was able to slip by unnoticed.

Medeek