Our Tiny (10 x 12) Cabin

Started by Gary O, July 31, 2011, 09:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CjAl

my wife grew up in goves, we live up north of there in woodville now. up in the lakes area. groves and port arthur has really gone down hill the last few years. mainly since most of the katrina refugees never left. now its all government housing down there.

i grew up in WI. There is alot of cranberries grown up around the tomah and black river falls area.

Gary O

I always thought cranberries grew on bushes until I visited the Ocean Spray bogs on my route. Can't recall, but seems they were located near Raymond WA.
Sad about Port Arthur.
Looked at a mansion, all brick, servant's quarters, large pool, iron gated grounds....$280K, just out of the Griffin Park area.
That was in the 90s.
Interesting place down there.
Crawdads comin' right outta the ground.
Wonderful Cajun folk.
Just as wonderful Cajun food.
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

CjAl

after Rita amd Ike most everything down there is destroyed. port arthur still has more abandoned buildings then occupied. Ike brought in so much water there was two houses in all of bridge city that didnt have water in them. many of them people had just finished rebuilding from rita when ike hit. all the great old food shacks around the.coast and sabine pass are out in the gulf and will never be rebuilt. my wifes uncle had a beach house on crystal beach that got washed away, im not even sure the land still exists as alot of the property was washed out to the gulf whenbthe water receded

cabingal3

CjAl -i went to P.A. and such a few years ago when brother past away.
i love it so down that way.I am sorry about your wifes uncles place getting washed away.
we even got some Katrina refuges clear up here in Oregon.what a terrible thing that storm was.
also missing my show-swamp people.cannt wait for the new shows to come up.hope its not been canceled.
there is always hope

Gary O

Yeah, a few years back cabi and I were getting a line wet on the Clackamas, and ran into a couple young guys that had the strangest lure set ups I'd ever seen. Turns out they were from N'awlins...showed 'em a couple pointers for steel head...wonder if they ever caught anything.....

Gary O

speaking of my bride and fishing (she loves to fish, BTW) she hooked in to her first steelie at the turn of the century.
I tell you, it did my ol' heart good to watch her tangle with that scaled mass of solid muscle. It was strippin' her line pretty good when I reached over and tightened the drag.
She had a blast landin' that sweet little hen.
This is a copy from VHS to camera from the monitor so quite grainy and voices are a tad inaudible.....
http://youtu.be/8XXr1L70npA

CjAl

my wife was just about born and raised in a prow fishing for bass. shes good, beats me hands down. we are building our cabin over in ivanhoe lake community. we are right across the street from the lake.

i have a very good friend named PK who lives in WA just north of the dalles. hes a crotchety old native man. lol thats my favorite area in the country. i absolutely love driving the columbia river gourge.

Gary O

Oh, there's some great bass water in The Dalles area, and salmon, and sturgeon.
If your friend is native american, then he's a very happy camper these days, as they recently opened a lot of water up in their old fishing grounds.
Yeah, the gourge drive is nice....in the summer.

CjAl

he is native. hes almost like a dad or grandpa even though ive only known him a few years. hes one of the wisest people i have ever met. hes down in so cal at a cancer treatment place undergoing radiation treatments for his prostate.

i ran out to portland or idaho every week for the last two years. i stopped doing that last may and i am sticking closer to home these days. better then getting a divorce

CjAl

i like watching the swamp people shows. my wife doesnt like seeing the gators killed. she likes to play with the gators, snakes, lizards and pretty much anything else i would rather shoot.

Gary O

Quote from: CjAl on December 11, 2011, 08:42:22 PM
he is native. hes almost like a dad or grandpa even though ive only known him a few years. hes one of the wisest people i have ever met. hes down in so cal at a cancer treatment place undergoing radiation treatments for his prostate.

i ran out to portland or idaho every week for the last two years. i stopped doing that last may and i am sticking closer to home these days. better then getting a divorce

These days recovery chances are quite good. My boss and mentor went thru that about ten years ago. He still comes by and gives me playful grief.

Yup, livin' out of a suitcase gets old anyway. Best 18 wheeler has no sleeper.

Gary O

".....simply copy the URL from the video host page address bar and paste it into the topic post here on CountryPlans............."

This phrase is driving this ignopotamus over the edge.
Got pictures, Don?....with pointy red arrows?.......and red circles?
Thing is, even rocket surgery is simple....IF YOU KNOW HOW!!!
Little help here (please)

Meanwhile, here's a couple vids we took at the cabin.......
One with me recording this beautiful bird song in hopes of a little help in identifying.....
Thing was, by the time I got the camera on the tripod, the little guy clammed up.
The other one is when we tapped an existing well with a hand pump, on the adjoining property we recently bought.

http://youtu.be/r83C6w8V_zo

http://youtu.be/exoZ12uxa5c

MountainDon

Those url's you posted above are strange.
For 1 thing, the way youtube is broken up ???
2. When I click on either it opens a youtube page that tells me the video is private. ???
3. But the url goes through some metamorphosis and if I copy the new url and paste it here in  a message AND apply the second method of displaying a video here, then it works.  Like these....

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r83C6w8V_zo&feature=youtu.be[/embed]

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exoZ12uxa5c&feature=youtu.be[/embed]

But those also come up as being Private.

We need a public viewable url or link to get any further on these two examples.

Yes, I will get around to making up an illustrated "how to"

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Gary O

Thanks Don

I jumped in to my youtube acct and made them public

I'll fiddle with your suggestions some more.

Thanks again

Gary O'

MountainDon

Okay great. That made those two I entered work.

In researching how to make videos appear embedded I did run into a few YouTube videos that don't want to embed easily (using the simple method). Those do work using the alternative method. It can be confusing.    More later.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Gary O

just experimenting.....and the bird song I'd sure like to identify....what a happy little guy makin' everyone's morning a joy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrc1NRie4Ng

I did it Don!
Now the universe.....

rick91351

Quote from: cabingal3 on December 10, 2011, 11:46:38 AM
CjAl-lucky you.living in the Groves and married to a cajun gal.
i could eat some boudin right now.oh my!I awitched over to yankee foods once i got up north with my mister.sure do love to go to my sisters house in texas and get gumbo and have shrimp boils.i am trying to shoot squirels up at our woods and eat them and make my mister some hats.thats my on-

Well I'll be dipped in gumbo and slathered in etouffee.  POOOHHHEEE!! You make me hungry there gal......  I might live in the north but I think my stomach stays down there some where south of Baton Rouge near Houma and Grand Isle.  All the while the music of Michael Doucette and Beausoleil, Mary Chapin Carpenter's - Down At The Twist And Shout   Doug Kershaw belting out Colinda, and Dewey Balfa and  Todd Balfa preform Jai Ete Au Bal plays in my mind for ten thousandth time.

Cute YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ8pk6GGr1Q&feature=related

Quote from: CjAl on December 11, 2011, 08:42:22 PM
....................................snip............................................................................

If you ran I 84 Idaho to Portland you seen me somewhere along the way.  I was running one of those big long trains there between Huntington and Baker City.  You most likely were wondering why the HELL don't that @#%$@$###$ dim those $%$#%$%#$ lights.  You ever took fuel or food or tried to sleep in LaGrande at the Flying J you heard me blowing for the crossings.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

Gary O

Well, geez, Don, I bet even I can follow that.
Once I get home, I'll follow those cookie crumbs to fruition....after Rick's ear worms loosen their grip on what's left of my mind....

Thank you Mr Wizard.

CjAl

i havent stopped in lagrand since i got food poisoning about 5 years back

Gary O

I know LaGrande is quite a bit further east of Antelope, but maybe you got some residual left overs from the Bhagwan....just kiddin'...kinda.

Had an Aunt that lived in The Dalles...kinda high up in The Thousand Friends of Oregon...got poisoned by the Rajneeshees. Darn near died. She's gone now, but really had some stories.
Up till then my policy was let bhagwans be bhagwans........

duncanshannon

Got a solid laugh out of catching up on this thread. hilarious.   rofl [toilet]

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

Gary O

Quote from: duncanshannon on December 17, 2011, 09:27:52 AM
Got a solid laugh out of catching up on this thread. hilarious.   rofl [toilet]

here for ya duncan

Headin' to the cabin this Friday, to slash burn and celebrate Christmas.......thing is, no snow yet, just a dusting here and there.
Sure hopin' the weather will change 'tween now and then, but the 10 day fcst is not buoying my hopes much........

rick91351

Quote from: Gary O on December 12, 2011, 07:58:11 PM
I know LaGrande is quite a bit further east of Antelope, but maybe you got some residual left overs from the Bhagwan....just kiddin'...kinda.

Had an Aunt that lived in The Dalles...kinda high up in The Thousand Friends of Oregon...got poisoned by the Rajneeshees. Darn near died. She's gone now, but really had some stories.
Up till then my policy was let bhagwans be bhagwans........

Was that part of the Safeway salad bar poisoning they were suspected of, or one of the restaurants?  One of my favs was when the Bhagwan would have everyone herded into the gym for the weekly orgy.  He said it really cut down on the tensions of life, and of the time or so it was reported in the news papers.       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Gary O

Quote from: rick91351 on December 17, 2011, 02:44:15 PM
.........One of my favs was when the Bhagwan would have everyone herded into the gym for the weekly orgy.  He said it really cut down on the tensions of life,...........       

See? He wasn't all bad.....