20x34 1.5 Story in Alabama

Started by ellbaker, May 15, 2011, 09:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellbaker

Finally starting my build thread. I am moving at a fast pace and things are happening so fast I haven't had time to work on a thread. I am sitting at the airport waiting on a late flight so I might as well use the time constructively.

I have been looking for lake lots at Smith Lake in north central Alabama for a few years. I started looking about 7 years ago.  It was always "I should have bought last year!". Prices were rising faster than I could save. The economic downturn has crippled the price of lots and second homes on Smith Lake. I closed on a lot for less than 1/3 of it's original asking price back in January. The bank took over the subdivision and are trying to liquidate the lots. I bought a lot that has a few steps to the water which is somewhat rare at Smith Lake. The majority of the land around Smith Lake is very steep.  Several lots require an exstensive stair system or even a tram system to get to the water.  I had an excavator cut the road and basement back in March.

I really did not plan on having a basement but the slope of the land was conducive to a basement.  My small lake cabin doubled in size overnight!  I moved the bedroom to the basement and added a second bedroom.  I now have a floor plan that will easily sleep 10+ people.  I bet my number of friends will increase dramatically in a few months. d*

I decided to use Superior Walls for the basement.  The walls were set back in mid-April. I went to work by prepping the footings for the daylight wall.

The rough plumbing was put in and the slab was poured on April 25.

ellbaker

I decided to hire a framer. I just don't have the time to do it all as much as I would like to. I worked with a couple of guys and ended up going with the higher quote. It turned out to be a great decision because Jeff is an excellent framer and has forgot more about building than I will ever know.  He works with his two sons and brother in law so he does not have the typical employee problems, just family problems  ;). He was supposed to start working on April 27. However the devastating tornados struck Alabama on the same day. My primary home is about a mile from the EF5 that struck North Alabama. At one point, 4:35, they were predicting it to hit my neighborhood at 4:40.  It went just north of us and destroyed Harvest Alabama. This is the third major tornado (2 F5s) that have hit the same exact area since 1974.  It was the first time in my 26 years in Alabama that I took cover. Scary times.  

I spent 6 days without power but spent some unforgettable time helping clean up from the storms.  I met several people that had lost everything but had a positive outlook on life.  I worked at one intersection were 4 people lost their lives. It puts life into perspective. My lake place was about to be put on major hold.

I checked on the property on May 2 with chainsaw in hand expecting to do some cleanup because one of the tornados that hit Cullman Al originated very close to my place.  I arrived to no damage but the majority of my lumber package sitting on the site.  The lumber company delivered the lumber the day of the storms.  I talked to my framer Jeff, tornado passed within a few hundred yards, and he told me he really needed to work. The storm repairs would be a few weeks away. It takes insurance companies weeks to process the claims. We decided to press on and get the place dried in.  It took Jeff's 4 man experienced crew 8 days to finish up.  I am now waiting on my roofer to get it dried in.  I take over from here and plan to do the rest myself.  I have 11 and 12 year old sons and hope to make a lot of memories of the next few months.

Added a shed dormer like the 1.5 story in Michigan (cedar and green exterior).  That cabin has been my inspiration for the last 3 years.

10x34 porch on the lake side.

Can not complain about the view!

ellbaker

A few photos of the tornado damage near my house.

On the roof helping a 79 year old man re-sheath his roof.

Intersection where lives were lost.

Tickhill

Some of the coldest and deepest water around. I have a friend that jet ski's Smith Lake. I live over on Bay Springs Lake in Ms. Glad you could take advantage of the lower prices. Excellent looking cabin.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

ellbaker

Pre-construction photos.

Sassy

Beautiful views & neat looking cabin.  Looking forward to your progress.

Gee, I feel sorry for all the people who had their homes ruined or damaged.  Glad your place made it ok.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

duncanshannon

amazing contrast between the tornado damage pictures and the raw land! 

the damage is amazing.  yuk!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

texasgun

Love your cabin and view [cool] Question how are you going to seal your upper porch deck I noticed it is decked with osb right now or is that just temporary? I am looking at a similar design but 2 story instead of walk out but upper porch deck has always left me ???
WEST TEXAS

ellbaker

Quote from: texasgun on May 19, 2011, 09:45:12 AM
Question how are you going to seal your upper porch deck I noticed it is decked with osb right now or is that just temporary? I am looking at a similar design but 2 story instead of walk out but upper porch deck has always left me ???

OSB is just temporary.  I am going to deck it with 5/4 cedar or pressure treated pine.

ellbaker

Got the roof on last weekend.

I thought I could get the rough in electric and plumbing done over the long weekend but, like usual, everything takes longer than I think it will.  95% of the wiring is done. Waste pipe is 50% done.

ellbaker

Inside is insulated and ready for pine.  I got started last weekend.  Only 2800 sq. ft. to go ::)

Sassy

Tongue & groove looks nice.  You've got a lot done, but as always, lots more to do...  looking good!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

John Raabe

Nice work and a lovely site. Thanks for the dramatic photos of the tornado damage. Kind of like an asteroid hit. Pretty much total devastation when it hits full on.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

stricsm

Smith lake is great water.  I love the look of your cabin.  My in-laws had a place there and wanted us to keep it in the family.  I just couldn't handle the 1.5 hr drive to get there.  We ended up buying on the Elk.  You and I are practically neighbors.  I live at the very end of Capshaw Rd and our cabin is 21 miles west of us.

Mark

ellbaker

Yes the 1.5 hour drive gets a little old, especially when building.  I really don't mind the drive though. It gives me a chance to unwind. The water quality of Smith is so good it is hard to pass up.  Do you have any pictures of your place on the Elk?

NM_Shooter

Beautiful!  Add me to your friend list, as I want to visit.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

ellbaker

Friday and Saturday's progress. Got some tar paper on and 1.25 walls covered with pine.

stricsm

Here's our place.  It is a work in progress.  Built in phases since the 1960's.  We purchased in 2005.  We added a sunroom to the back (John's design) and a deck.  We are adding rock to the front this fall.  Keeps us busy but it is fun.

ellbaker

Got the pump jacks up last weekend.  Trimmed 4 windows and got the felt up on the highest part of the wall. I have 5 days this weekend to start putting up the siding, 8.25" Certainteed fiber cement.

I finished all of the interior walls and put on 2 coats of Polycrylic.

The ceiling will be a good winter project.

ellbaker

Took Thursday and Friday off.  Thought I could get 2 sides sided with Certainteed fiber cement.  Wrong!  d*
Finished one side (except one soffit).

duncanshannon

Looking good. 2 questions:

1) how do you like the Certainteed?  Did you up choosing between Certainteed and Hardie? 

2) How do you like working on the jacks?

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

ellbaker

Quote from: duncanshannon on October 09, 2011, 10:22:24 PM
Looking good. 2 questions:

1) how do you like the Certainteed?  Did you up choosing between Certainteed and Hardie?  

2) How do you like working on the jacks?

I have mixed feelings on the fiber cement. It is heavy and fragile. I had to buy special blades for my compound mitre saw and skill saw. Nailing it is touch and go. If you miss a stud, it will usually blow through. I would use roofing nails instead of siding nails if I could start over (bigger head). Small angles are very fragile. I broke a couple of them off while putting them on the porch overhang. The Certainteed primer is good for up to 24 months before it has to be painted. It is also less expensive than Hardie.  If I had to do it over again, I would probably go with LP Smartside.  It is easier to handle, lighter, cuts like wood and is not as fragile. I am sure it has it's negatives too.  

I highly recommend Solo Siders.  They set the reveal exactly in 1/16" increments.  They hold the siding in place until you nail it.  They are great for working alone.

The pump jacks are great when properly braced.  I never felt uncomfortable on then walk boards.  I tree stand hunt so the height does not bother me.

ellbaker

Monday's progress.  It goes much quicker when you are not 20 ft in the air  ;)

ellbaker

Still making progress.  :)

Both sides of the fireplace are now painted.  I still have to put siding on the back but it is under the covered porch and is only 8' high. Easy work! Approximately 60% of the siding was put up solo.

Pine is up on one side of the ceiling and up to the beams on the other side. I feel like spiderman working on the ceiling.  All of the ceiling work was solo so the progress was slow (4 days of work).

OlJarhead

Wow!  Super fast!

Terrible damage by the tornadoes!  Yikes!  Are you putting in a storm shelter too?