Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

So are the rice hulls run through a gasifier? 

I took it that the rice hulls were burned raw in the boiler.  Maybe with a blower to add oxygen to atomize the mixture and make the fuel more efficient.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

There are two separate systems at this particular mill, Rick, totally independent of each other.  There is a complete steam engine and boiler and the Gasifier in another building.

The steam boiler has a hopper above the boiler and the hulls simply pour into the firebox through a metered outlet on the bottom of the hopper keeping the fire burning at a proper level with little need for adjustment.

The large vertical burner behind the engine in that pix  I believe, is the gasifier unit along with various blowers and filters to clean the gas.  Water is used for cleaning the gas along with various other means, and removing the ashes from the bottom of the gasifier.

This is the chamber where the rice hulls are burned... like in a wood stove with the fire on the bottom.... most of the rice hulls above the fire zone are overheated causing excess white smoke (unburned fuel) which is then pulled into the filter system via the blower sucking it through.  The engine then sucks it in along with fresh filtered air and uses it for fuel along with the diesel which is run mostly only at idle for lubrication.

The engine is changed every 6 months.  They keep one ready and one being rebuilt in their shop at all times.  Downtime is only one to two days during which I assume they can use the steam engine.

The starter blower is on the bottom and I am going to venture a guess that the blue one is a running blower.

I have been studying gasifiers for years off and on.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Thinking about it, the blue blower may be to supply air to the tuyeres for the gasifier to make the fire burn hot enough to provide enough fuel for the big 12 cylinder diesel.  I am guessing it is around 400 to 600 horsepower.  Likely near 500.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rick91351

I must admit I did not read all you prior posting and explanation that they had a gasifier.  Sorry for the redundancy.

Yesterday cbc58 posted a gasifier web site..... ???  Small world or ______.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

Not a problem, Rick.  I had planned to explain more as I had time anyway.  You gave me a chance to do that.  Had to make sure I wasn't talking to myself... I already know everything I know... [noidea'

Here a worker is carrying rice hulls up the stairs to feed the hungry beast.... work is done manually here ... lots of people available and they need jobs ....as well as being willing to do any... ANY... job available. 

Here we would use a conveyer, feed it with a tractor, lay off the whiners, give them a couple free cell phones and a welfare check.  Which country is the most advanced?

glenn kangiser

They seem to be getting about the same life from the engine that I got on my 475 HP Detroit when I used it full time and heavy.  About 6 months.  They do maintain it correctly I think but think of the revolutions this thing goes through running the mill full time all day long.

They are fully re-buildable though.  They are a Chinese 4 stroke diesel I believe so they just keep two extra engines, one in process and one ready all of the time.  I assume the engines and parts are readily available.  Chinese straight trucks are gigantic. Much bigger than what we see here.

sharron

My grandfather was a locomotive engine designer from the 20's to the 50's.  He oversaw the rebuilding of the Santa Fe Railroad engines.   Seeing those old style engines reminded me of him. 

I love going into old railroad museums and am always amazed at what they built in those times.

Thanks for the memories.

rick91351

Quote from: sharron on March 20, 2013, 10:30:01 PM
My grandfather was a locomotive engine designer from the 20's to the 50's.  He oversaw the rebuilding of the Santa Fe Railroad engines.   Seeing those old style engines reminded me of him. 

I love going into old railroad museums and am always amazed at what they built in those times.

Thanks for the memories.

Small world - I have been known to have operated a few locomotives.  I was an engineer 33 years of my 35 years with Union Pacific.  A couple even needed rebuilt after I was finished.  :o  That is most likely another thread some other place.   

glenn kangiser

My pleasure, Sharron.  Glad you enjoyed it... I know I did.  I have one more video of another engine they showed me... haven't got it up yet. 

Welcome to the forum by the way. 

I see you have something in common with Rick.  :)

ben2go

Quote from: rick91351 on March 20, 2013, 10:48:14 PM
Small world - I have been known to have operated a few locomotives.  I was an engineer 33 years of my 35 years with Union Pacific.  A couple even needed rebuilt after I was finished.  :o  That is most likely another thread some other place.

Small world for sure.I did too.I ran the line from my bedroom to the hall and back.I had those cheapo all plastic model trains.But in the real world,I worked for WABCO in Duncan,SC.I built brake assemblies and rebuild air compressor assemblies.For a while I ran the powder coat line.We could do any color as long as it was black.  [waiting]

rick91351

Quote from: ben2go on March 21, 2013, 07:22:52 AM

Small world for sure.I did too.I ran the line from my bedroom to the hall and back.I had those cheapo all plastic model trains.But in the real world,I worked for WABCO in Duncan,SC.I built brake assemblies and rebuild air compressor assemblies.For a while I ran the powder coat line.We could do any color as long as it was black.  [waiting]

For those who might not know WABCO is the Westinghouse Air Brake Company.  The best friend to railroads and truckers.   [cool]

I always figured if I could get it to the top of the hill or grade - you all would help me down the other side.  Thanks and I mean that... and I did operate on some heavy grades.  2.2 -2.3 percent.  We had a branch line that was 2.5 for a ways.  For real railroads - the major carriers 2.2 or 2.3 that is about as steep as you can efficiently operate with the least amount of equipment failure.  And with any tonnage at all you have to have helper units or DPU units in train to shove on the rear to prevent draw bar and draw head damage or failure going up a grade. 

I never let a train really get away from me.  But I have seen the remains of a few that did get away.  Like 90 cars of corn over the edge.  Those big 130 ton round bodied C4 hopper cars can roll a long long ways down a hill.  Nothing stops them till they get to the bottom.   Or the three locomotives and twenty some cars that..................

glenn kangiser

Small world indeed, Rick.  I installed an Air Conditioner for Saf-T-Cab on an excavator with a giant shear attachment for cutting up a runaway train off of El Cajon near Fontana....some time between about 88 and 92......  :o

I did not realize they had to keep the grades so low 2.2.....2.3.... crimoney.... I was a trucker from 78 to 84 and we didn't much like grades over 6%.  :)

glenn kangiser

Feel free to jump back to the train discussion here... interesting.  :)

I'm going to post a pix about the gasifier again... kind of like a good soap opera, eh... Meanwhile at the hospital Dr DoGood removed the ruptured spleen as nurse Crachet ....nevermind....... [waiting]

Looking at the pix here I begin to get a better idea of the particular design of this gasifier.  Note that this is a commercial gasifier made by a company in Asia and they have the technology worked out as a science.....they know how to make it run the big horsepower engines..... the fuel is pretty much free.

Note where the starter blower is tapped into the side of the filter.... once runnig and making flammable gas the starter blower is capped off.. seems like I saw something duck taped over it...nope... not duck tape ... It hasn't reached Myanmar yet apparently... just a stuffed sock or something in it from the earlier pix I posted :)

I didn't note much pollution off of the gasifier unit... maybe the cooling and washing pond is a bit of a problem but it could be lined if not in clay I would think.  Byproducts are about 5 gallons of tar a day.  Water with carbon in it....but it settles out... maybe uses for it too?

Myo says one problem is since this is assisting diesel for power that if the gasifier stops making gas, then diesel consumption goes up as the governor kicks in more to replace it.  That raises expenses.

glenn kangiser

OH yes.... Rick and Ben... Wabco made graders also I think.  My neighbor has one and I have a set of rippers off of a Wabco grader.  [ouch]

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 21, 2013, 09:30:55 AM
Small world indeed, Rick.  I installed an Air Conditioner for Saf-T-Cab on an excavator with a giant shear attachment for cutting up a runaway train off of El Cajon near Fontana....some time between about 88 and 92......  :o

I did not realize they had to keep the grades so low 2.2.....2.3.... crimoney.... I was a trucker from 78 to 84 and we didn't much like grades over 6%.  :)

Oh HUMM!!  82,000 pound on a 6% is boring.   ;)  [shocked]   The guy that trained me on a eighteen wheelers - drove in to me.  Rick remember it is down hill clear to the bottom...   ???  I always when I am driving a car or pick-up going down a steep grade keep a good eye peeled in the mirror looking for the poor trucker who let it get away. 

Try stopping 15,000 tons going down hill on a 2.2 grade going against another train, or proceeding at restricted prepared to stop for a red flag or a broken rail or other track defect.  First couple times your rear end is sucking the Naugahyde off the seat box.   My 2.2 or 2.3 is like 10.2%

Cajon has ate a large number of trains.  The most tragic on the Union Pacific after I hired our was a on Cima Hill.  A UP tie train a train used to distribute railroad ties had brake equipment problems and a manager forced them to leave the station and go down the hill.  They had a runaway because of the brakeshoe defects.  If I remember right it killed everyone on the tie train and killed the two employees on the caboose on the rear end of the Hot Shot Van Train it rear ended.  It was trying to out run the run away tie train.  The Van train had a 'penalty air brake application' because it was over speed and slowing at a very quick rate.  One on the caboose jumped before they hit but they were still going to fast to survive. 

The manager was not killed nor prosecuted and in a few years promoted.  He ended up .......     GRRR!!!         

glenn kangiser

Manager must have had a very brown nose.. likely clear up to his neck... ahhh the joys of the corporate ladder climbers.... [waiting]

ben2go

I should have mentioned that WABCO was short for Westinghouse Air Brake Company.I sometimes forget that most people aren't familiar with the shorten term. d*

Glenn,I think Wabco equipment is manufactured by a different Wabco. ???

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 21, 2013, 11:27:01 AM
Manager must have had a very brown nose.. likely clear up to his neck... ahhh the joys of the corporate ladder climbers.... [waiting]

Funny thing about the railroads if they fire or discipline a manager for a indecent such as that they are admitting guilt.  Even though the Federal Railroad Administration, the FTSB and the dog catcher say it was their fault......   [waiting]   Nuff said about that......time to move along.....

glenn kangiser

Got it, Rick.  [ouch]

What you are saying is they could all be politicians.  [waiting]

Meanwhile back at the ranch.  Just got a call... I am going to have probably 5 or 6 International Students here this weekend.  We had one already and Sassy was coming up to visit with her.  The rest will be a great surprise for her.... :)   Yea.... My favorite people.  :)

glenn kangiser

Quote from: ben2go on March 21, 2013, 11:51:21 AM
I should have mentioned that WABCO was short for Westinghouse Air Brake Company.I sometimes forget that most people aren't familiar with the shorten term. d*

Glenn,I think Wabco equipment is manufactured by a different Wabco. ???

Looks like it was the same one originally then changed hands a bunch of times, Ben...

Found this...

QuoteThe WABCO Haulpak off highway truck line was a very successful range of mining trucks that were the predecessors to the current Komatsu off-highway trucks. The origins of the Haulpak line began with the purchase of R.G. Letourneau's construction machinery business in 1953. WABCO had traditionally been a manufacturer of railway air-brake systems, but ventured into construction machinery with the purchase of LeRoi air tools and industrial drills in 1952. The subsequent purchase of R.G. Letourneau's construction machinery line gave Wabco a comprehensive range of machinery including Scrapers, Rubber tyred dozers and other attachments. WABCO subsequently added motor graders to their product line by purchasing J.D. Adams in 1955 and thereafter front end loaders, with the purchase of Scoopmobile. WABCO recognised the importance of the off-highway Truck market and hired Ralph H Kress to design a line of haultrucks in-house. Kress incorporated many new design features which were trend setting and eventually Caterpillar was to offer him a position designing their range of Haulers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabco_Haulpak

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 21, 2013, 11:08:17 PM
Looks like it was the same one originally then changed hands a bunch of times, Ben...

Found this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabco_Haulpak

[cool]

sharron

My family was supported by the Santa Fe Railroad since the late 1800's.  My great grandfather was an engineer starting in the 1890's.  Bo th of my grandfathers were with the Santa Fe (a clerk and the engine designer and plant manager) and my father was a conductor till the 1980's. 

So the railroad is kind of in my genes.

glenn kangiser

Very Cool, Sharron.   [cool]

I am off to take students to Yosemite tomorrow... I mean today after I get up.... [ouch]

I have a total of 4 guests staying here at the underground complex with me.

Sassy brought food up from Costco and spent the day here helping to clean and ready the place for them.  She did way more than I expected her to but then again... not really.  She will always chip in and go the extra mile.  I was hoping she would not overdo it with her new hip implants.

I have 2 students from China. One is an electrical engineer and he was impressed with my solar power and the idea that I built the solar system here all myself...(crude as it may be)... :)... He said I was his hero....   ::)

Also staying with us is our friend Bob from Campus Crusade at USC and UCLA.  We have students from both colleges together so around 50 people plus or minus in the group.  Also one friend from Fresno area is with us to help see we don't lose students in the river....

They loved Mr Ed.  I showed them that he actually understood what I was saying... :) 

He is so smart, I can hardly believe it myself sometimes... [noidea'

He was sick to near death this week but I caught it in time and cured him with a round of penicillin shots.... I thought he was a goner.  He is back to his lovable old self again now though. 

Hopefully good pix coming soon.

glenn kangiser

Getting ready to head into the park... My truckload of International student extended family friends...

Lots of good conversation going on at the underground complex....

My friend Bob (with Campus Crusade who brings the students up)  told me an old Chinese Proverb..... Regarding policy when building in the backwoods......  "The mountains are high and the Emperor is far away.... "   I like it.   :)

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 25, 2013, 11:38:02 PM

.................................snip.......................................................................

My friend Bob (with Campus Crusade who brings the students up)  told me an old Chinese Proverb..... Regarding policy when building in the backwoods......  "The mountains are high and the Emperor is far away.... "   I like it.   :)

...............................snip...............................................................................

I do to.  Just too bad; 'The hills have eyes and the winds have tongues...'