Emergency Cart

Started by peternap, November 07, 2008, 10:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

When Coleman finally gave up to cancer, he collapsed and couldn't walk. I could not carry him without gripping him around the chest and I was afraid I'd crush his ribs. This started me thinking about an emergency at the farm. I cannot drive a truck closer than a mile from the house. From the house to the truck, it's either ATV, Dirt bike or shanks mule (walk).

Also, the house is a timber frame on a steep hill overlooking the river. It is on post foundations and there is a steep set of steps going to the ground. I worried about getting Zeus, who at 6 months weighs what Coleman did, and my wife (I am forbidden to ask about her weight).

So what do I do if either can't walk. There is no cell phone signal, the neatest neighbor is a mile as the crow fly's and 3 along the roads/trails. The nearest hospital is 10 miles away and that 's more of a clinic. Real hospital is more like 75 miles.

After a lot of thought, I came up with something like a Deer carrier, a lot sturdier, that is narrow enough to move in the house and go down stairs. The handle is adjustable and locks in place. It can either be pulled by hand, attached to a harness or backpack or hitched to an ATV. It will handle up to 500 pounds.

I built it from a Welding stand I got at the dump, a couple of respoked 20 inch bicycle wheels, new tires and super duty tube, and some odds and ends (Bike rack, etc) I had laying around.

The webbing is 1" climbing webbing and isn't going to break.

It also carries deer back to camp quite well.

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

Very resourceful, and impressive!  [cool]

MountainDon

The topic title originally conjured up mental images of something totally different... the first was that of a hospital emergency cart, complete with "paddles".  ???  The second was something pre-loaded with emergency food, water, medical supplies, clothing, guns and ammo, etc, hidden off in the woods somewhere waiting for Armageddon. Big bicycle wheels just like that, narrow enough to negotiate foot trails, with water proof compartments/boxes.       :o     [crz]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on November 07, 2008, 11:40:30 AM
The topic title originally conjured up mental images of something totally different... the first was that of a hospital emergency cart, complete with "paddles".  ???  The second was something pre-loaded with emergency food, water, medical supplies, clothing, guns and ammo, etc, hidden off in the woods somewhere waiting for Armageddon. Big bicycle wheels just like that, narrow enough to negotiate foot trails, with water proof compartments/boxes.       :o     [crz]

I knew it was missing something Don. It needs a GUN RACK! heh
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

I like it!  I need one.  Hmmmmm.....

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

firefox

Nice work! Is it long enough to carry someone lying down? Are there any built in tie down straps to keep the patient from moving?
You might want to add some kind of bottom shield, maybe take some 24 inch galvanized sheetmetal and tac weld it to the bottom of the frame. This wi9ll protect the patient from the inevitable sharp branch that fell down and is poking up at the wrong time.
Have a place to stow a box with the critical stuff, like tourniquits, bandages, splints, etc. Not the whole enchilada, but enough to get past severe trauma. Enough so that when you get half way down the hill and you see the blood trail, you can do something about it. Sometimes the initial response is to get the patient to the hospital no matter what, and you miss the odd puncture wound
or broken bone. Since you will be using this for other than just medevac, you might keep the box of stuff and a blanket on a shelf near the door ready to throw on the cart and patient. If you can find one, the vietnam era poncho liners are perfect for this.
They take up minimal space and a re pretty warm. They have their own little tie straps at various points, and are also camoflage
to add that distinctive look [cool]
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

peternap

It's right at 7 feet fully extended Bruce.
I thought about a skid plate but decided on a backboard instead. I have a little work to do on that yet.

The cart has buckle straps that I haven't put on yet. The backboard also has straps including a head strap if needed. Using the backboard, I can use the cart as a deer hauler without it but when I do need it, strap the patient to the board and slide them on the cart where I can lock the board and patient to the whole thing. That would eliminate a lot of push pull in case of broken bones or neck/back injury.

I'm not sure about a first aid box. It might get a little bulky to manuver in the house or stairs.

MountainDon

Firefox, I don't know your training level, nor that of anyone reading this. I simply have concerns about potential misuse of tourniquets.

Whenever I see tourniquets mentioned in first aid I cringe a little. Improper use of a tourniquet can lead to tissue kill off and loss of the limb. It happens.

Pressure bandages are safer and most often will be as effective. There are exceptions. If a person is properly trained, tourniquets can be used, but the majority out there are not trained. In cases with major limb trauma tourniquet use can be the best method to stop blood loss. These caes are frequently battlefield injuries from mines, mortars and the like where a part of the limb is blown off or seriously damaged.

I would hate to see someone lose an arm or leg because of the use of a tourniquet, when a pressure bandage would have sufficed.

On the other hand bleeding to death is not desirable either.

cordwood

Quote from: MountainDon on November 07, 2008, 01:28:51 PM
Firefox, I don't know your training level, nor that of anyone reading this. I simply have concerns about potential misuse of tourniquets.

Whenever I see tourniquets mentioned in first aid I cringe a little. Improper use of a tourniquet can lead to tissue kill off and loss of the limb. It happens.

Pressure bandages are safer and most often will be as effective. There are exceptions. If a person is properly trained, tourniquets can be used, but the majority out there are not trained. In cases with major limb trauma tourniquet use can be the best method to stop blood loss. I would hate to see someone lose an arm or leg because of the use of a tourniquet, when a pressure bandage would have sufficed.

On the other hand bleeding to death is not desirable either.

After a motorcycle wreck and about a 4 hour trek out of the hills I got my buddy to the hospital alive but the E.R. nurse almost died laughing,........He said,......"IS THAT DUCT TAPE!!!!!!!!!!" ..... Hey, It covered the bones and stopped the bleeding. After a few screws and rods and a whole bunch of stitches he walks better than I do cause I didn't have no cool wheelie thingy to pack his fat no ridin butt out with. But no kidding the doctor told me that a misused tourniquet after that four hours and he would have probably lost his leg. :( I was only 15 at the time so that release and reapply thing would have probably been done once if at all ::)
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

StinkerBell

I worked in an ER for almost 10 years, as their Tech and as a HUC.
Tourniquets even scare me a bit. I have seen many Biers Block reduction done on the arm area. Kinda fun to watch a normal arm turn a zombie color. Even had a mom nearly pass out watching her son getting his reduction. Anyways, no more then 20 minutes on those blocks cause the the arm will go necrotic.

Tourniquets, only time I might even consider it is when all other options are not working and then I better make sure I release that pressure and the re apply the tourniquet. The good thing is if I have to apply this technique I know the person should be passed out do to low/loss of blood pressure due to the injury, which is good in a way so I can think. Well not so good for the person.......

SO glad I could add absolutely nothing to this thread  [cool]

MountainDon

Oh no stink... you brought the word necrotic. It totally escaped me. I thank you.

But what's a HUC?

StinkerBell

Health Unit Coordinator.

I sat at a desk and did all the coordination between XRAY, LAB.....etc. I also took incoming Ambulance calls and coordinated to get rooms ready for what we were going to get compliments of the Medics.

I also stole borrowed  supplies from other areas of the hospital when it was needed.

90%  is anticipating what the Dr will order and having it ready to go before He/She ask.

I worked close with the Dr's and Reported Directly to the Charge Nurse.

Sassy

I was wondering what a HUC was too - now the mystery is solved. 

We have to use tourniquets when putting in IV's & drawing blood, but that is only for a couple minutes.  I have found where other nurses have forgotten to take the tourniquet off  n* n*  now that is not good... 

MtnDon is right about not using tourniquets in most cases except for the ones he noted.  They don't even suggest using a tourniquet when you get bit by a poisonous snake or sucking out the venom anymore...   
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

StinkerBell

Oh yes...I was also responsible for all paperwork pertaining to the chart. I also had to follow up to make sure all dictation was done and that the chart followed the patient in hospital and to the coder.

MountainDon

Since the subject of snakebite has been introduced... we're talking venomous snakebite...
Every state except ME, HI and AK have poisonous snakes

Here are some do's and don't as I know them.
Don't use a tourniquet (as mentioned),
don't cut & suck,
don't consume alcohol,
don't use ice packs

DO immobilize the limb. A splint can be used, being certain to watch for swelling that might cause constriction (tourniquet effect). This slows the spread of the venom. (You may be screwed if you're alone and bit on the leg/foot.)
DO go to an emergency care facility. Anti-venom may be required.
washing the wound with soap & water is good. It may prevent infection.

IF medical care can not be reached within 30 minutes two things may be done to increase survival chances...
1.   Apply a bandage around the limb above the bite. Not tight like a tourniquet... it should be possible to slip a finger under the bandage. This may slow the spread of the venom.
2.   A suction device may be used without cutting into the flesh. Things like the rubber "cups" that come in some first aid kits.

When we're 4 wheeling out in the middle of nowhere we are very careful when moving rocks, walking around, etc. NM, UT, AZ have lots of snakes.

cordwood

A small suggestion if I may before the respoked wheels need to be respoked again. I would put some heavy duty canvas or perhaps some heavy plastic (like a plastic truck mudflap) beside the wheel area to keep pointed type things (or toes) out of the spokes during transit. ;) I still like it though [cool]
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

peternap

Quote from: cordwood on November 07, 2008, 10:29:00 PM
A small suggestion if I may before the respoked wheels need to be respoked again. I would put some heavy duty canvas or perhaps some heavy plastic (like a plastic truck mudflap) beside the wheel area to keep pointed type things (or toes) out of the spokes during transit. ;) I still like it though [cool]

A small suggestion, but a good one. Thanks!