Engineering Plugin for SketchUp

Started by Medeek, July 27, 2020, 07:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

When you click on the "Draw Load/Support" icon of the beam load/support toolbar you will be presented with this matrix menu:

Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.
Designer, Programmer and Engineer

Medeek

Still working on how best to graphically represent the various loads and supports but this a bit of a preview of how it will go:

Don_P

Sweet!
For inputs ideas;
This is the standby for dimensional sticks;
https://awc.org/codes-standards/calculators-software/spancalc

I needed sticks, built up beams and solid sawn of any dimension and species so have some different inputs;
Dimensional, NDS table 4a
http://www.timbertoolbox.com/Calcs/ddsimplebeam.html

Heavy timber, table 4d;
https://forestryforum.com/members/donp/beamclc06b.htm

Oh, often enough its uniform with point load(s)
Well and then combined, an open pavillion post beam and brace in the wind.

Medeek

The loads and supports will be on the Eng layer, annotations will be on Eng2 and warning graphics will be on Eng3.

Here is an example of some point loads applied to a timber beam, now I just need to setup annotations:

The different color arrowheads indicate one of the six load types (Dead, Live Floor, Live Roof, Wind, Snow, Seismic).  The colors assigned to each load type will be able to be customized in the global settings.  The size of the arrowheads will also be customizeable.

Regenerating the beam geometry will not regen the loads, there will be separate context menu item (right click the beam) to regen the engineering loads/supports.

Medeek

An example of point loads with Load Labels and Magnitudes turned on:

Medeek

An example of some distributed and point loads applied to a steel (W) beam:

I could also do something like this for the distributed load representations, thoughts?

Now I just need to add the supports and we are done with the engineering geometry.

After that I need to figure out the finite element analysis (matrix analysis) engine that will be used to calculate the shear, moments and deflections of the beam (single or multi-span).  Since the number of loads and supports is potentially unlimited there is no one classical equation that will solve this problem:

https://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standards/publications/design-aids/AWC-DA6-BeamFormulas-0710.pdf

Don_P

The second one is easier on my eye.
I'd normally have the distributed load with the point load sitting on it at some location.
In some cases it may be a load uniformly increasing from end to end and then a point load or several on it, say a valley with snow and then a few widely spaced heavy timber purlins bearing on it.
It is going to be interesting to code. My beam calcs are mostly right out of DCA6, this is going to have to blend and sum several at once. I know its possible but beyond me, good luck!

On the back burner then think about combined bending from all that and an axial load.

Medeek

An example of a beam with loads and supports:

Clicking the control key allow the user to insert supports by their center and then bearing length.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/9e576bc8-88cd-4a71-9b47-3c0298b6e823/Beam-Engineering-3

Medeek

Medeek

When you assign a support with blocking (lateral bracing) then it will be drawn with a dashed line (both sides of beam) as shown to indicate that bracing is being provided at that location:

Medeek

Medeek

The beam engineering geometry features are now complete.  You can now add, move, delete or modify an unlimited number of supports, distributed loads and point loads.  If the beam itself is modified there is also a function to regenerate all of the engineering geometry to properly match the updated beam width and depth.

The next step will be to work on the actual engineering engine (FEA) and add in additional engineering (global) parameters.  Some of these parameters will be things like deflection limits etc...

Medeek

Moving a distributed load:

It may be more intuitive to select the distribute load and then select whether to move the start or end point, rather than just moving it by its center point.  Granted, one can modify the start and end locations within the edit menu.

Medeek

Version 0.8.0 - 03.14.2021
- Created the Medeek Engineering Plugin, utilizing SketchUp's Ruby API (BETA release).

I haven't paid much attention to this plugin for about 8 months as I have been so busy updating all of the other plugins (Wall, Truss, Foundation and Electrical).  When I get some more time I will get back to work on the matrix analysis engine that is required for the calculation module.  For now you should be able to add loads and supports to beams created with the beam module of the Medeek Wall plugin.

The plugin is very much in BETA right now, however I wanted to at least get it out so people can start playing with the load and support tools and give me any feedback they might have.

The BETA/Trial version of the plugin can be downloaded here:

http://design.medeek.com/resources/medeekengineeringplugin.pl

Note, that you cannot purchase this plugin yet.  I will not enable purchasing until I have completed the calculation module and brought it out of BETA status.