A Bridge Too Weak

Started by MountainDon, January 29, 2008, 08:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

;D ... with apologies to Cornelius Ryan
Thanks to John (redoverfarm) for the pictures

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

I wonder how they got it out of there?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sparks

Looks like the wood pilings failed in the second pic. Was this in Minnesota?
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

John_C

About a year and a half ago I had an extended hospital stay and got to watch a TV special on house movers.  The folks they followed around put a lot of axles distributed along the length of the buildings.  This house has the two axles very close together right near the center of the building.  Almost the entire weight of the house would essentially be a point load minus a very small amount of tongue weight.  High point load @ center of span = oops!

sparks

If you look close in pic three, there are another set of axles laying on what used to be the bridge deck.

Redoverfarm

You can bet one thing that if they bought that house at a bargin it will not be much of a bargin now.  Crain fee $200 per hour.  Would anyone like to take a guess on how much it would cost to get it back on solid ground?

sparks

And pay for the bridge damage? Yikes!

CWhite

Nice place for a house.  Maybe if they just reroute the highway and sturdy up the house a bit.  Pleasant view. 
snicker....
Christina

sparks

I agree, might be a good trout stream. :)

Redoverfarm

But the whole idea about going fishing is to get out of the house. :D

sparks

Wouldn't have too far to walk in this scenario! ;)

glenn kangiser

Could build a nice fishing basement.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Willy

They sorta did the same thing to me but hitting a low spot on our road with my moble home going fast. Nice part was it was insured for replacement value a $50.00 extra policy my wife took out. They destroyed my place but I got 2 1/2 times what I paid for it after living in it 9 years! I took the cash instead of a new moble and built my house I live in now. I even got the old mobil out of the deal and lived in it for 6 months till I got the house dried in. Then I sold it for $1,000.00 to a guy to get it off the place. Mark

Homegrown Tomatoes

I love the picture of the guys all standing there looking at it, as if that's going to get the house off the remainder of the bridge.  Funny for all of us, but probably not so funny for them.  Personally, I think it looks kind of neat, although it'd be hard to use the garage!

Drew

For Sale:

2 br 1 ba modular home.  2 boat garage.  Waterfront lot, on main road.  Sunken living room. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Redoverfarm

Probably will make Homesick Gypsy take another look at her project in the terms of weight.

glenn kangiser

That's a her, project, John, but yeah -- I guess a gypsy could be generic.

She used to be here as Epiphany, but old YaBB bulletin board problems made her change her name to get back online with us.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

My apologies.   d* Didn't read the sign.  I try to stay political correct or in this case able to distinguish the males from the females.

desdawg

It stayed pretty straight. Must be some good beams.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

Yeah - I think it looks good there, des.

desdawg

Every time we start to backfill it washes away..........
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser