our S.E. TX story and a half

Started by CjAl, September 26, 2011, 04:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CjAl

This is where I am now. Going to get the sheathing for the back wall todsy then I need to go buy some scaffold. Work is supposedly starting back up tomorrw.

CjAl

Look ma, no doors!

With being off work almost two weeks it looks like It will be a month before I can buy metal now.the tar paper is vonstantly coming loose.

Anyone know if it would be a problem if I rolled out house wrap over it and stapled i down? Would I have to remove it befor I put the mmetal roof on?

MountainDon

As long as the house wrap / roof wrap was covered with the roofing before the "exposure to UV/weather" time elapsed you're good to go.   Keep in mind that regular house wrap maybe be slippery; there are special textured roof underlayments available. We have used UDL Titanium and it is nice stuff.

I don't know about staples though unless you use those "tin hats" under them.  Our home re-roof ran into weather related issues, and the UDL was fine when nailed down with button caps.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CjAl

It would only be a month and the idea mainly was to cover the tar paper to slow down its degredation

CjAl

Well it has been a long road but the roof is on.  I still have to put the gable end trim on but it's dry. 

Now I just have to frame out the bump outs,  frame the gable walls and finish the sheeting up there and get some French doors.  Then I can start the plumbing and electrical.  I have a tax return coming that's is going to pay for my septic

astidham

I remember the happy feeling of the last sheet of roofing, congrats!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

CjAl

Thanks!  I still have to go around the end of the sheets and put the screws in the edge.  My helpers leash wasn't quite long enoughto let him reach them.  I bought some scaffold yesterday so iin will get on that.  Still have to put the gable end trim on too.  Work has been going full on.  I tried to take this weekend off to work on it but called in both days.

Igot a 6' sliding doors new for $100 off a local Site that's kind of like Craigslist.  I got it half installed before it got too dark last night.

I got the front bedroom bump out framed in and two windows installed in it.  Pics to come

CjAl

There is no roof over the bump out because there is going to be a front porch and I plan to run it up to the rafters.  Mabey I will throw something up temporarily

dablack

Looks good.  Where did you get the metal and how much was it.  Gotta love staying dry!

CjAl

I bought the metal at Parkers lumber. It's just galvanized but it's what I wanted anyways.  That or white.  The sheets are 14' which they had in stock.  Just under $25 per sheet.  24 sheets cost something like $560. Then there was another $400 in screws,  gable end trim and ridge cap

CjAl

Are you doing anything with your property dablack?

I got one gable end framed today,  no sheeting. I never get done what I think I will.  We spent a good bit of time finalizing our thoughts on layout,  electrical box location etc. I still need to frame the kitchen wall between the bathroom and kitchen,  Ineed some 2x4 for that all iI have is

I think I have decided rather then laying another layer of subfloor over this soft one and then flooring I am going to just lay 2x8 framing lumber Down.  I can plane the edges and biscuits join it and it will be subject floor and Ican toss some stain on it and live with it for a few years if not forever .  It will cost $600 for the main floor,  $300 for the loft.  This is the samething i planned to do forthe loft except those iI will use a daddo blade to make a ship lap type joint on the edges so there is no direct cracked straight thru the boards to the rooms below

dablack

Yes, we are on the property.  We picked up a double wide and put it out there.  There was no way we could afford the land note, debt I racked up building the burned house, and rent in Lufkin.  We were only supposed to be in that rent house a year.  It was too expensive.  The note on the double wide is less than half what rent was and now we are enjoying the property.  Right now I'm felling trees and getting ready for sawyers.  A bunch of guys over on the forestry forum are helping me out.  Some came to fell and some are coming in Dec to saw.  Right now I'm trying to get the coin together to replace tools and buy the engineered I-joist so once the framing lumber is cut, I can start framing. 

I like the 2x8 idea flooring idea.  What about 1x material or do you need the strength of the 2x?  I'm sure you could find a local sawyer to cut you some 2x8s cheaper than what you would pay at home depot.  Maybe do random widths!  That way you get more out of a tree. 

Thanks for the info on the metal.  I'm looking to do something similar when we rebuild.  I will need it in 16' lengths. 

Austin

CjAl

I neee 2x for 5he loft flooring. The beams are 32" on center. Too far for 1x.

I have found a guy with a sawmill just south of me. He is getting iut of thr business and he has two large bundles of 1x12 rough cut boards. $1/ft for knit free number 1 grade and $.75/ft for knotty. I am going this weekend hooefukky to buy eniugh for the floor. Wish I had some more money I would buy it all

CjAl

Well last weekend I had the house wired. I found an electrician to do it on the side on a weekend for $500. I spent $1000 on supplies. $500 of that was on the big wire to run from the power pole to the house. Little more expensive then I thought. I could have had the power company come turn the power off and retrench it tue rest the way to the house but I decided to leave the meter and main box out on the pole. Mabey it was a bad decision with wire being so empensive.

But we have power...

This weekend I finished the sheathing on the gable end walls and I framed in the rear bumpout in the bathroom for the french door. Now all I need is two french door units and we will be totally enclosed. At which point I think my wife will move in because camper life is killing us

I spent half the day today figuring out all the angles to build a hip type roof over a bump out. Got it done then decided it would bee too much of a pain to roof with metal so I tore the ends off and just built a straight shed type roof over it

CjAl

Oh btw. The wire ended up costing me so much I was not able to get those 1x12 boards. And I think he has sold them. I probably wont have enough money for them this week either

dablack

Good job on getting the electric done.  Also, with metal roofs, the fewer seams the better.  I would love to have dormers and things like that but I really want a metal roof and don't want to mess with all the seams.  Shed roof is just so easy to do with metal. 

CjAl

You have no id3a how hard my wife petitioned to have dormers on the roof in front. And while I agree it w9uld have really made a huge difference it was just more then I wanted to tackle with limited experience. Its a lot more trim and roofing and I dont need a leaker

dablack

I know people who have fought with leaks around dormers for years and then finally took them out.  The only way I would even consider a dormer is if it was a shed roof dormer and even then I would have to REALLY want it or REALLY need it for headroom. 

I also like skylights and can usually find them for a good price on craigslist.  Problem is, trying to flash around them with a metal roof.  No thanks.  When I put on a metal roof, I don't want to go back up there for MANY years. 

Austin

MountainDon

FWIW, there is no reason to expect leaks around dormers and skylights IF the work is done right in the first place. We don't have any dormers but we do have a main gable roof that runs N-S and two gables roofs that intersect running in the E-W direction. Metal roof; no leaks. Two skylights; again no leaks. However there is a long list of things that can and do leak when they are done wrong. Window and door flashing head that list.  Of course that is all my opinion and YMMV.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CjAl

I dont have to worry about flashing doors and windows. I will have porch on 4 sides. Lol.

Just kidding though. I spent lots of time researching flashing doors and windows.

Unfortunatly I am going to have to get back on the roof eventually and remove my ridge cap. Its not sealed, the lumber yard didnt have the foam seals that go under it. I still doubt I will get leaks. Most the roof has two layers of tar paper and there is hiuse wrap over the ridge too. However a driving rain coukd put water under the metal and I dont want that if it can be avoided, this is huricane country. Which reminds me I need more hurricane ties to tie side walls into the deck. And I I need doors. And inworked of more blocking in the evese today and....... OH LOOK SQUIRREL!

CjAl

Btw I didnt build dormers because I wasnt sure  exactly how to tie them into the roof and couldnt find a good enough video detaiking it

CjAl

Then again at the rate I am going it might be 10 years before I get porches on this house.

Can anyone tell me how I should attach a treated board to the house to hang porch floor joists? Can I attwch it right to my osb and then flash over it so when i put my siding on I start laying it from that board up? Or do I attach it and space it out away from the osb and housewrap somehow? Or what?

CjAl

Well we picked the coldest week in hiwtory to move into our uninsulated osb box... aka house. It wasnt much of a decision since the heat in the motorhome quit. Still no plumbing or any kind of water but the electric is basicly done. The motorhome is parked right next to the house to use for bathroom and shower but plumbing definatly just moved up on my list.

I got a freeby old king 626 boxwood stove I restored. Still dont know if I will use it in the house. Mabey just keep it for a shop. Not sure how much I trust it. I dont have a chimney yet anyways.

I have some friends who sell flooring and they brought me a great present.

I had a bunch of 1x8 and 1x12 cut at the sawmill to use for flooring.

Pics to fallow as I can get thrm to upload on this miserable internet connection

CjAl

Some of my flooring laid out to dry. This is very green 8". I know this isnt a great way to dry wood but I am out of room and the old subfloor is very weak. I have a stack of much dryer stuff in the loft area. All my 1x12 were cut out a very old very dry log so I am going to lay that stuff in a few weeks.

Some of my bigger flooring

CjAl

This is a bit of my guft from my friends. Its good to have friends