14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

Very nice!  And the animals are sure cute  :)

Great that you have someone to help you w/the work.  I'm usually the grunt, general clean-up, go-fer.  Glenn doesn't like the detail work so I'll do that sort of stuff.  I don't think he trusts me w/the electric saws etc - and I don't think I trust myself anymore - I tend to be a bit accident prone it seems. 

Just think, you have your own home w/heat, real toilet, hot water - all the comforts of home.  Isn't it amazing how a dream can become reality?  You've done a great job. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

considerations

I'm lucky to be able to indulge myself in this venture. 

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Sassy

Wow, it's looking beautiful!  And the kitties are cute too  :)

Redoverfarm

considerations

Thanks, by winter I want to be sewing and weaving out there.  c*

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

So - the sun porch is DONE.  This is the "magic moment" when the room is absolutely empty....before I start lugging the stuff out of the downstairs part of the cabin to finish the inside....before winter. (hopefully the gods are listening).

Jethro approves

Sassy

Looks great!  You've been busy  c*  How much does that add to your square footage? 

Redoverfarm

Nice room. Still have the windows to trim out?  It will make a nice place for the kitty's  ;)

considerations

Sassy, it adds approximately 192 sqft (8 x 24 less the wall thicknesses).

Redoverfarm, the windows are not trimmed because once this room gets elevated from "storage" to "living", that wall is going to have built in shelves and counters that seamlessly integrate with the window trim.  Under the windows will be shelves that store yarn for weaving and fabric for sewing.  The counters will serve as a cutting and ironing surface, and at one end be surfaced for the tiny wood stove...and between the windows will also be shelves. 

considerations

Ok, I've been playing hooky.

Mom turned 82 in August, always wanted to cruise the Inside passage, so we did. My sisters and I all ponied up and took her.  It was a big item on her bucket list that she didn't think would get checked off.

We totally surprised her!  All three sisters on a ship for a week....woof, but all in all we had a great time.

I wanted to show you'all the windows I stuck between the floors in the cabin.  They don't open, its all about light.  Storage is at a premium in a cabin one lives in year round.   Wall space is a great place for shelving and cabinets....at the sacrifice of windows and natural light.  So, here's what I'm doing.  This is just one little window, 14" by about 35"...it fits between the top of the sun porch roof and the bottom of the cabin roof eaves and in the "catwalk" part of the loft floor....It really lets a lot of light in, both up in the loft and on the main floor.  There will be 3 more in the stair well.

Oh, and the stupid drywall is up in the down stairs now also,  mud on/sand off, mud on/sand off, repeat.... :P

glenn kangiser

Good on the windows, Considerations.  :)

They are a lot like some of the ideas in the Underground Cabin.  Light from all four sides and it can come in high....well.... I guess that would be obvious, because in some places a low window would just be looking at dirt.... duuuhhhhh [ouch]

Nice job and the trip sounds like it must have been fun and appreciated.

Sassy

I agree w/you about the drywall...  what a tedious job - but your place is looking wonderful! 

Never been to the Inside Passage or Alaska - always wanted to go - could've many, many years ago when my ex was up there commercial salmon fishing but at that time it was better when he was gone  d*  So never did make the trip up there.

The windows look like they let in a lot of light.  That's what I like about our place - lots of windows - most people say it feels like they are in a tree house rather than an underground cabin  ???

considerations

i've been to Alaska before, but it was commercial fishing as well.  I would not have chosen a cruise, but it was the safest and least taxing environment for an 82 year old woman.  We had a little veranda off the stateroom, so she got a front row seat to the scenery even when she was tuckered out or cold.

The weather was as perfect as coastal AK can be, it only rained one morning and was in the 50's and 60's all the time.

I gripe about drywall because it looks...well, it looks so mundane, and it dings too easily.  I'll get over it because of the supposed fire retardant properties and the fact that most of it will be covered by shelving, cabinets, and builtins.

glenn kangiser

Gotta tell you, you are one of my heroes, Considerations.  When I tell people of the forum and what people have done here I often tell them of your cabin and what a lady can accomplish if she sets her mind to it.  :)

considerations

Aw shucks Glenn.  There's a lot of folks on this forum who've worked smarter and accomplished more. 

I just want to end up with something I can comfortably afford to live in and maintain even in retirement, be left to live quietly, and make enough income to keep some modicum of a status quo.   

The world seems so crazy anymore...I've got good neighbors, good family.  That's enough for me.

glenn kangiser

BRUTAL

WOW, Ive been reading the first 7 pages in 08 of your build, and well......I bumped to the last page to see where you are now. Yes I stand in front of the microwave impatiently waiting for a potatoe to cook.Forget the hour before microwaves in the oven :)
Youve come along way in 3 yrs by yourself. At least you started off with a vision of a small house to live in.
My plans started as a shed to store stuff like the mower chain saw etc so I wouldnt have to cart it back and forth.
Then my plans grew to a 16x24 cabin to live in. Then I ROUGH est cost and backed off to a shed. then barn, now its a cabin again and I wish Ide have just stay with the original cabin since its alot of work to FIT stuff as you know.
PLus like youve said about a wealth of info and good people here. I would have done alot of things differently. even to the point Ive thought of selling the cabin and having it trailer to someone elses land and starting over...Meh, maybe not. But now when I do build my final house Ive got a place to log its progrss to and get plans and info...good job[cool]
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=11116.0
making mistakes along the way and wishing Ide been here sooner :)

considerations

The 24" propane range is supposed to deliver today.  So, now I need to find a range hood.  I see lots of 24" hoods, but have absolutely no idea about which brand is good quality.  Does anyone have a recommendation or warning?  What I would like to do is set the bottom of the hood flush with the bottom of the adjacent cabinets...and the vent will have to rise vertically to arrive at the exterior wall between the roof of the sun room and the eaves of the cabin proper.  This vent exits on the windward side of the house.  I know there are little flaps that can go over the opening, but is this an adequate protection from what can be rain that often roars in sideways?  Just about the time I think I have a basic handle on things, a new subject appears.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone puts forward. 

PEG688

Quote from: considerations on October 05, 2011, 02:00:52 PM
So, now I need to find a range hood.  I see lots of 24" hoods, but have absolutely no idea about which brand is good quality.  Does anyone have a recommendation or warning? 

Any of the major brands should be fine, 24" is odd sized, you say you see lots of them , on line I assume? 

What I would like to do is set the bottom of the hood flush with the bottom of the adjacent cabinets..

Generally the cabinet above the range is shorter bu 12" , and most manf. recommend 30" from the cook top / top of range , ours here at the house is 24" above , been that way for 25 years , no problems.  But you do want some space to load pots on and off the stove , I've installed one or two that where only 18" off the top and that IMO was to tight for easy use. 

.and the vent will have to rise vertically to arrive at the exterior wall between the roof of the sun room and the eaves of the cabin proper.  This vent exits on the windward side of the house.  I know there are little flaps that can go over the opening, but is this an adequate protection from what can be rain that often roars in sideways?  Just about the time I think I have a basic handle on things, a new subject appears.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone puts forward. 

Yes the side wall style vent terminations have a sloped "top" and also a gravity held flapper.     It gets tricky when people want them hanging off the soffit , as you then have to source a spring loaded flapper and the spring needs to be just right in strength to close the flapper and also weak enough to allow the low speed setting to open the damper.

But mounted in a side wall should be no issue for wind or rain.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

considerations

Wow, thanks PEG

Yes, I see the 24" hoods online...I think if I tried to buy locally, a supplier would be ordering it just like me.

Great insight re the distance between the stove top and bottom of the hood.  Noted and filed.  I got together with a local cabinet shop after months of trying to scavenge at the Habitat for Humanity and other stores...and looking at cabinets online.  All the extra work to restore and remodel would have either cost as much or slowed me down...and BOY do I want that kitchen done.  Anyway, I'll talk to the person who comes next week to do the measuring about the hood/stove clearance.

Also, thanks for the tip on the hood over the sidewall vent exit. 

OlJarhead

I never thought about getting a hood but I can see the desire to have one in such a small place ;)  On a side note we love our little stove!  The boiler being on the floor is kinda goofy but it does work and we're getting used to it -- also, the oven takes 30-60 seconds to start so don't panick (took me a while to figure that one out) and it uses a lot more electricity then I thought it would (never even checked that)....seems the oven controls require more power then my refrigerator does!

considerations

"seems the oven controls require more power then my refrigerator does!"

Maybe its a glow bar in the oven, from my reading, they need several hundred (500ish) to keep the oven going.