14 x 24 Olympic Peninsula

Started by considerations, May 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

considerations

"but I tell you I did not just fall off the turnip truck yesterday you know"

Of course not. It was an elegantly controlled full gainer flying dismount.   rofl   (Sorry, bad jokes are one of my genetic flaws)

I got mine through Amazon as well, knowing it comes from somewhere else, but couldn't beat the landed price.

rick91351

Quote from: considerations on January 27, 2011, 04:18:04 PM
"but I tell you I did not just fall off the turnip truck yesterday you know"

Of course not. It was an elegantly controlled full gainer flying dismount.   rofl   (Sorry, bad jokes are one of my genetic flaws)

I got mine through Amazon as well, knowing it comes from somewhere else, but couldn't beat the landed price.

Your aces kid, aces...... [cool]
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

considerations

Got all the insulation placed back into the walls around the PEX.  Now, to find the right fixtures for the shower and start gathering pieces and parts for the outgoing water, and vents. 

duncanshannon

Great thread! Just finished reading the whole thing!

@considerations - thanks for sharing your story... Great to read.  We are in the dreaming phases and reading your story is very encouraging!

@mountainDon - huge thumbs up on Amazon Prime.  I buy everything from toothbrushes to a treadmill with it (yes, free shipping on a treadmill).

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your build!!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

considerations

"We are in the dreaming phases and reading your story is very encouraging!"

Yep, living proof that even me, the quintessential construction ignoramus with an unfettered amount of enthusiasm and no caution can erect something structurally sound with a reasonable chance of no or little bodily injury.  ;D

Disclaimers;
I really really needed this forum.
I really really needed to take the advice offered. (I did...mostly).
No or little bodily injury does not include: smashing thumbs with a hammer, slicing fingers with sharp stuff, stapling oneself to a stud, creaming your forehead on a newly installed piece of wood, really sore muscles from installing floor insulation, and other stuff that comes w/the job but does not require stitches, casts, 911 calls, or doctor visits.
Swallowed [false] pride and hired out what I could not figure out or physically do. 
I'm far from done so there is a lot that I don't know I don't know.
Many of the other project threads have much more detailed (engineering and technical) information.   

considerations

Speaking of progress....the vented propane furnace arrived and (drum roll) the PEX is in, and the outgoing water piping is in, as is the venting.  There is still insulation and sawdust floating around.  There is a price for moving in before completion.  However, the next step I see is piping for propane.  I think I should figure out precisely where the propane range is going.

considerations

Some of my old friends got hold of me a few days ago.  There is a move afoot to get a group going to the primitive rendezvous in Eastern Oregon in July.  Wow, I'm really excited.  It's been several years.  I was never excited about going alone and the "group enthusiasm" seemed to have faded. 

No horses, just go in "light" [right ;)].  It's about 10 days of camping with nothing [showing] that would have been made after 1840.  There is usually about 1100 people, enough to get a flavor of the Green River Wyoming rendezvous that happened from about 1800 -1840, when the trappers and the native Americans met up with fur traders from the East to sell their pelts and supply up for the coming year.   

OlJarhead

Quote from: considerations on February 11, 2011, 04:43:09 PM
Some of my old friends got hold of me a few days ago.  There is a move afoot to get a group going to the primitive rendezvous in Eastern Oregon in July.  Wow, I'm really excited.  It's been several years.  I was never excited about going alone and the "group enthusiasm" seemed to have faded. 

No horses, just go in "light" [right ;)].  It's about 10 days of camping with nothing [showing] that would have been made after 1840.  There is usually about 1100 people, enough to get a flavor of the Green River Wyoming rendezvous that happened from about 1800 -1840, when the trappers and the native Americans met up with fur traders from the East to sell their pelts and supply up for the coming year.   

Cool, where does this take place?  I'm guessing somewhere near Burns?

considerations

Paisley, north of Lakeview, south of LaPine....Burns would be north east.

http://pacificprimitiverendezvous.com/index.html

So much of my kit has migrated into the house.  I have to go through and assess, repair, and repack everything. But what fun!

considerations

Another baby step - kitchen overhead lighting.

The back side

No glare pic of the view from the main room

Squirl

considerations

Thanks, I didn't like the look of metal or pipe conduits, and these were laying out in the woods, so the price was right.

Sassy

What a great idea - looks just right in your cabin.  Glenn has tried to convince me that armored cable (wiring) is the way to go - he likes the rustic, industrial look  :D  It actually doesn't look that bad...  he says that the new apts he's been working on use that - it's the cool thing to do. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

considerations

"Glenn has tried to convince me that armored cable (wiring) is the way to go - he likes the rustic, industrial look."

Likely a lot less work as well, but somehow this just seemed to fit.

glenn kangiser

Cool lights.   I have some lights I salvaged from a 1950's era sign that I want to get into the great room somewhere too.  Hate to see cool old stuff go to waste...... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

I smile when I look at those lights.  They are supposed to be for a porch, and $10 each at Home Depot.

considerations

Not mine, but really hilarious - I think you can click to play this.

OlJarhead

Crazy funny :D  It IS what kids do!

Sassy

That is soooo funny!  Someone sent me that awhile back & I watched it several times - it looks like it is having a ball!

Pritch

"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

PEG688

Hey , I recognize that building inspector at about 30 seconds in , I'm sure it our city's  guy!!  rofl   Although  he looks more like a pig in real life ;)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

considerations

Got the chores done last night and started to settle in for the evening.  Heard a big CRACK!  Looked out the window and luckily my camera was next to me on the desk.   

So I snapped a couple pics while frantically squinting to find the video setting....I finally got it.   

Another loud SNAP!

Click on the pic below and be patient, its only about a minute long....but its the end of an era and a few years of concern about potential injuries and damage.   You can hear the slow and sad failure of a former resident's poorly sited and built project.

Cleanup time!

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Notice how well the gable roof held together right down to the final collapse. Must have had some good rafter ties.

If it had to happen at least you were there to record it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

Great catch!  Kinda sad - how old was that building?  Wonder if you can salvage any of the wood or did it get demolished when it fell?  Pretty neat that you were there to video it!