Sanding beams

Started by beckhamk, February 26, 2012, 07:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckhamk

I have a question on sand DF beams that we have hanging over our great room area of the cabin.  I had always planned to sand these once we got the T&G on the ceiling, well thats done now i got to sand these darn things.  What would be the bet way to go about sanding these - with a tool that is.  I am a little leary of using a belt sander - i am thinking that might be too much - maybe i am wrong maybe with fine grit paper it would be ok.  Just wanted to get some toughts from others here. :)

MountainDon

How rough are they and how smooth do you want them to be?  And can your sander get close enough to all edges now with everything in place?  Myself I'd hate the thought of sanding overhead with my belt sander. But pad sander are kind of slow if there is much to be removed.   :-\
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

I am like Don as far as the condition of them and what you would want the end result to be.  If they are factory planned it would not take much.  But if they are rough cut then you will have to be more aggressive unless you want that rustic look.  You can use a belt sander with graduating grit to smoother finish.  But there are locations where the sander will not reach and you will have to change to a palm sander or disc sander in those areas.  Have you posted a photograph of the beams?

If you do use a belt sander go with the grain and do not allow it to stay at one place too long.  Heavy rough cut can be cross grain sanded to remove the heavy stuff then go back to "with" the grain to even it out. 

If the beams you are referring to are doubled up 2X material then you can use 3/4" material finished to wrap them to give them a beam appearance.  Just 45 Deg the lower edges to disguise that they are made up beams.

MikeC

Two tools which might be worthy of consideration:

Fein random orbit sander - often used in restoration of large wooden boats and with DUST extraction:
http://www.amazon.com/Fein-MOL1200E-8-Inch-Random-Adaptor/dp/B0000223PH/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1330311395&sr=8-6

Porter Cable paint grinder - should work on rough sawn bare wood?
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7403-Abrasive-Paint-Remover/dp/B0000222YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330311004&sr=8-1

Note that the reviews are mixed on both...

rentals and small test patches advised

Pine Cone

It's much easier to sand them before you put them up, but we did it both ways.

We were just trying to clean them up - remove boot marks, grade stamps, and other blemishes.  We use a random orbital sander, 80 and 150 grit.

beckhamk

These are already smooth from the mill.  They didnt look bad, but after the spray in foam insulation and then us having to put the scaffolding over them, they got a little dirty.

Don_P

I'm on my second porter cable 5" random orbital, it's become a favorite. Aside from alot of other work the first one sanded the beams on 2 timberframes. A piece of flashing or a painters edging tool used to protect a finished edge helps keep the sander from gouging in corners, etc.

rick91351

Quote from: beckhamk on February 27, 2012, 08:56:31 PM
These are already smooth from the mill.  They didnt look bad, but after the spray in foam insulation and then us having to put the scaffolding over them, they got a little dirty.

I love the the PC random orbitals.  I use an early quarter sheet model in the wood shop all the time.  It is bad to the bone at throwing dust but as long as it keeps on keep'n on, I'll keep using it.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

beckhamk

I wanted to thank everyone for their input.  I am glad i asked about this as i was very leary of using a belt sander for this.  But the winner was the porter cable 5" random orbital - i love it.  I can already see many future uses for this.  I am already using it to sand off stuff from our T&G. BTW: The beams look brand new again  ;D

firefox

Which model number did you get and from where?
Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Redoverfarm

Quote from: firefox on March 05, 2012, 09:56:41 PM
Which model number did you get and from where?
Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce I have two or three random orb sanders and seem to like the Makita 5" hook & loop the best.  If you check around you can order the sanding disc for a fraction of the big box stores prices in a variety of grit.  Here are a few

http://www.klingspor.com/

http://www.supergrit.com/

firefox

Thanks Redoverfarm!!!
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

firefox

Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824