400 sq/ft footprint....

Started by tjm73, January 13, 2006, 04:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjm73

I like that upstairs.

If you remove the wall behind the TV I think it'd open the room up visually.  But I like everything else.

EDIT:  This would make a real nice little cabin or even a starter home.  Especially with a screened porch off the front.

glenn-k

Not kidding and if that one doesn't mess it up my corkscrew roof over the bedroom and bridge should really give it fits.  20' feet down to 8'  viewed clockwise from the top meeting the twisted ribbon at the bottom.

The CAD program may handle it - if only I had the ability to draw it.  Don't have the time to learn now, although I used to spend hours on that sort of thing.

mikeschn

Okay tjm,

You are right... I removed the wall behind the TV and it looks much better. Here's what it looks like now... But what do we do with all that valuable space behind the TV. It used to be part of the closet...

Next I'll have to work on a front porch...

Mike...

jraabe

Well Howdy!  ;D

I haven't had time to stop in on this thread for awhile. Seems like we have an interesting project going on here.

Some good layouts evolving and I like to see the examples of the output from different drawing programs.

Maybe we can turn one of two of these into a working drawings set. I'll do the structural layout and you get to name the house, get credit as designer and get a free set of working drawings?? -- hmmm -- just thinking out loud. I like the renderings Mikeschn is producing very much. I wonder how easy the program is to use and can it produce acceptable floorplans. Structural details?

Me thinks me needs to go to the website.  ;)

PS - on the stair. You might try doing a simple railing wall with drywall on both sides. This is simpler to build than the one shown, it gives you much of your wall back for built-in storage (pull-outs?), a bank of bookcases or whatever? Also, by the time you get this project done, the big screen TV you're modeling will be like 1 1/2" thick and you'll hang it like a picture.

ailsaek

*whew*  Done for now.  I swear this project ate my brain.  I hope I didn't shrink it so much it's illegible.

Sorry about how messy the second level is.  The black grid overlaying the lower right area is meant to represent the slanting large window.  The house is sunk into a slope, with the berm beginning just past the door on the right and abut the same level or a bit more forward on the left.  The downstairs bathroom wall facing the atrium is glass blocks, as is the master bedroom wall facing the stairwell.  There are steps from the hillside down to the patio by the upstairs bathroom and uphill patios by the second floor north and east windows.  In case the letters are too blurred, the brown circle on the lower level is meant to be a 4' diameter wood-fired hot tub.  The smaller bedroom is meant to have IKEA wardrobe units on the east wall for storage and sound baffling between rooms.

Bufordt

QuoteOkay tjm,

You are right... I removed the wall behind the TV and it looks much better. Here's what it looks like now... But what do we do with all that valuable space behind the TV. It used to be part of the closet...

Mike...

Turn it into book shelves.  Got to have someplace to have all the books.

Larry

tjm73

QuoteOkay tjm,

Mike...

I'd close up the area under the stairs and have that be part of the closet.  That way you don't lose any of the closet space that you had before.  Where was the door to the closet?  I didn't see it in any of the other pics.

Another idea....the roof/second floor.....why not just make it like a salt box type roof?  Take total use of the loft space.

And one more idea for the kitchen (probably can't be drawn intothe pics, but).....what about one of those fold down tables.  Up it's out of the way.  Down it seats 4.

Looking forward to the porch.  :D

tjm73

Quote*whew*  Done for now.  I swear this project ate my brain.  I hope I didn't shrink it so much it's illegible.

Sorry about how messy the second level is.  The black grid overlaying the lower right area is meant to represent the slanting large window.  The house is sunk into a slope, with the berm beginning just past the door on the right and abut the same level or a bit more forward on the left.  The downstairs bathroom wall facing the atrium is glass blocks, as is the master bedroom wall facing the stairwell.  There are steps from the hillside down to the patio by the upstairs bathroom and uphill patios by the second floor north and east windows.  In case the letters are too blurred, the brown circle on the lower level is meant to be a 4' diameter wood-fired hot tub.  The smaller bedroom is meant to have IKEA wardrobe units on the east wall for storage and sound baffling between rooms.

OK...took a bit to put your concept together in my head until I realized that you were staggering the levels.  Once I alinged the stairwell over the spriral stair case it suddenly made sense.  I like it.  Really pushes the boundry's of a 400 sq/ft foot print too.  I say it meets the rule...but on a technicallity... ;D lol

Is that a dirt/grass floor inside or etched concrete for a passive solar heating benefit?

mark_chenail

Mike:  I'm really jealous of the drawings you are getting from Imsi floor plan.  I tried to download it here but my system wouldnt let me without permission from the systems operator so I have to go sweet talk him into letting me have it.  I cant wait to try it.  Meanwhile does anyone know of any other simple minded floor plan programs that produce 3 d drawings like Mikes.  I need one that runs on Windows NT.

Also if you guys want to try out something really wonderful. Go to www.sketchup.com and take their 8 hour trial.  This is a really fascinating program that lets you design in 3 d with a relatively simple push and pull system.  You draw a simple floor plan and then touch the wall thickness and move the cursor and the walls appear.  its a bit like sculpture and you can add on and manipulate the volumes and turn the whole structure in space.  It doesnt take long to learn the basics.  But there is a downside....the free trial is just 8 hours, long enough to get you hoooked bad, BUT the program costs $495.  I was already to buy until I saw the price.  But go check it out, its the fastest model building program Ive ever seen.  Its a great way to see how your spaces will actually work together.  I'd be curious to know what others think of this program. ;)

bartholomew

Mike, nice job so far. Just one question... Will your little house have a "little house" out back??

ailsaek

QuoteOK...took a bit to put your concept together in my head until I realized that you were staggering the levels.  Once I alinged the stairwell over the spriral stair case it suddenly made sense.  I like it.  Really pushes the boundry's of a 400 sq/ft foot print too.  I say it meets the rule...but on a technicallity... ;D lol

Is that a dirt/grass floor inside or etched concrete for a passive solar heating benefit?

Oops.  I should have been clearer about where the levels lined up.  The grassy part is a 4' deep 4' high raised bed for thermal mass, etc.  (Nasturtiums, spinach, lettuces, etc.)  The ground floor is a concrete slab, also for thermal mass, and I was thinking of etching it or dyeing it in some way to make it interesting but not too expensive.

I wasn't sure if it would count when I was done with it, but I had fun putting it together.  I think I'm goign to have a go at drawing an elevation or two this weekend, something I've never tried before.

tjm73

I just got IMSI Floor Plan 3D Version 8 from http://www.planetcdrom.com/discount-software/FloorPlan-3D/

It works with XP.

So far I like it a lot.  My PC is a little slow, and I need to buy a new mouse (I smashed the old one - long story) and I''m still learning how to do things with the program but it does nice, IMO, 3d images.  The PC isn't hooked to the internet yet or I'd post up the little 20x30 I'm working/learning on.

mikeschn

I've been waiting for someone to ask where the bathroom was. Good job spotting that bartholomew!!!

At this time it's an outhouse, out back. But one of these days I'll look and see if it can be integrated. But I don't really want to give up the first floor bedroom.

Mike...

QuoteMike, nice job so far. Just one question... Will your little house have a "little house" out back??

mikeschn

Allright tjm!!! I want to see some pictures... copy your pictures to a floppy, and then get on the pc that you read this forum with, and share some pictures...

Mike...

QuoteI just got IMSI Floor Plan 3D Version 8 from http://www.planetcdrom.com/discount-software/FloorPlan-3D/

It works with XP.

So far I like it a lot.  My PC is a little slow, and I need to buy a new mouse (I smashed the old one - long story) and I''m still learning how to do things with the program but it does nice, IMO, 3d images.  The PC isn't hooked to the internet yet or I'd post up the little 20x30 I'm working/learning on.

glenn kangiser

Hey Mike, what's a "floppy"? :-/

Just kidding I know - haven't used one in several years.  Anymore I don't think I have many files small enough to fit on one.  I use SD's now.  Funny how fast stuff becomes outdated.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

mikeschn

I know, I know... I use a 512 meg jump drive (Sandisk cruzer micro)... only because I don't want to slow down the computer by sharing another drive across the network.

But I think the key here is to get some pictures posted... via floppy, zip disk, cd, jump drive, sd, pcmcia, compact flash, xd... take your pick..

We have a guy on our forum that loves pics so much, that his signature line might as well be, "we luv dem pics". And I have to agree; in a fourm like this, pics are worth more than a thousand words!

Mike...

QuoteHey Mike, what's a "floppy"? :-/

Just kidding I know - haven't used one in several years.  Anymore I don't think I have many files small enough to fit on one.  I use SD's now.  Funny how fast stuff becomes outdated.

mikeschn

FWIW, this is where I get floor plan from... No I am not connected with them in any way... I just use it... and I'm still learning....  http://www.turbocad.com/prodinfo.asp?mcid=316

Mike...

Whit Spurzon(Guest)

QuoteLets show what we can do with a house foot print no bigger than 400 sq/ft.  Anything else is fair game.  Multiple story, single story, cantelever rooms, anything goes.

Here is my effort

396 sf.

Whit Spurzon(Guest)

Correction... 392 sf.  Oops  :-[

Jimmy C.

Good one Whit,
And Welcome..
That should work well. It is almost the same layout of my apartment!  What's your cad program?
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Dan

Compare my renderings of the love shack to the renderings of the 400sq ft entry, and there's a world of difference. I might just go ahead and register for the upgrade.

Mike...

Mike,

That is an interesting little "love shack".  I found the other pics on your site too.  We must have shared a common thought on this one, we call ours the Luv Shack.

Here is a link to a few pics.  8x10 footprint.

http://groups.msn.com/TheLuvShack/2212005.msnw?albumlist=2

Really like your work btw.

Dan

tjm73

QuoteLets show what we can do with a house foot print no bigger than 400 sq/ft.  Anything else is fair game.  Multiple story, single story, cantelever rooms, anything goes.

Here is my effort

396 sf.

Nice little place you drew there.  I like it.

Whit Spurzon(Guest)

QuoteWhat's your cad program?

I'm using Visual CADD.  http://www.visualcadd.org/  

It has been around for a while, longer still if you count Generic CAD (DOS).  I'm sure there is better out there but the company I work for still uses it and I purchased a copy for myself.  Seeing some of the impressive examples posted here it looks like I need to explore some other programs.

Yahoo group at;   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/visualcadd/

Good group if you need help with the software

mikeschn

Has anyone ever given any thought to tiny house on wheels. What would be the largest one could build? Jay's are kinda small... almost 70 square feet. I was hoping for something a little bit larger...

Mike...

MountainDon

I'm not aware of anyone here building a larger version. Using conventional wood working techniques they get heavy real quick.

How big would you like, and how mobile?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.