Chesaw Cabin has been started! Pictures!!

Started by Willy, March 27, 2008, 10:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

Day 9 1/2 working on the cabin and the framing is done and ready for the roof rafters. The weather Gods were with me it was only cold. I put the rafters over the porch storage area cause I had them. The rest of the 2X10 rafters will go up on the next trip and be sheeted off complete. The project is coming along nice and won't be to long till it is dryed in.

Some More Pictures;
http://imageevent.com/willy/pontiacridge

Rear View;

Front View;

Front View;

Rear View;

End View;

glenn kangiser

Looks like you are really getting with the program, Mark.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Way to go Mark [cool].  Looks like you chose the wrong profession years ago.  Need a job.

Willy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on April 09, 2008, 09:33:39 PM
Way to go Mark [cool].  Looks like you chose the wrong profession years ago.  Need a job.
Funny you say that but 38 years ago I tried to become a carpenter and had a real hard time getting things dropped on me and tring to keep up on the job with the other guys. That is when I figuredn I would try being a electrician instead.
   Next thing I knew 38 years went by and I decided to retire from it and do as I please. The carpentry stuff is just a past time cause I can't afford to pay to have things built when I can sorta do it and it comes out square. I would hate to do this for a full time job my joints are to wore out now. Mark

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 09, 2008, 09:25:37 PM
Looks like you are really getting with the program, Mark.
These little homes are fun to build! It seems I am on a roll now in getting it done. Sure would not want to build a 6,000 sq ft one! Mark

BiggKidd

Mark,

Wow you realy knocked the framing out quick.  [cool] Good Job! Wish I moved that fast. Looking good.
Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

Willy

Quote from: BiggKidd on April 09, 2008, 10:43:43 PM
Mark,

Wow you realy knocked the framing out quick.  [cool] Good Job! Wish I moved that fast. Looking good.
Larry
Thanks but my hands are paying for it right now. I have at least 10 cracks in them down to the meat from the cold weather and not wearing gloves working. I have them inside plastic gloves with super hand cream soaking into them right now. They will be OK in a couple days. I just haven't figured how to hamer nails and cut wood with gloves on yet?? Mark

glenn kangiser

I can't wear gloves either.  Unsafe for lots of things.  Hammers fly out of your hands etc,

A kid that worked with me was trying to keep his hands lily white but soon lost the gloves and said he saw why I didn't wear them.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Gloves are great for barbwire but not much use for anything else.

BiggKidd

I can't run tools (skill saw hammer drill) with gloves either. But I wont even look at my chainsaw without a good pair on. Concrete blocks are hard on the hands too. So I guess I am just a wimp. ;)

Larry

Larry

glenn kangiser

Not a computer programmer are you, Larry?  Executive type? ;D

MountainDon

There are lots of jobs where gloves a quite suited. Cutting wood, concrete bloc work are only two. I's add splitting and stacking firewood, any serious digging, and handling bulk lumber. Anytime I handle a winch cable I wear gloves. Ditto when moving, handling rocks on a 4x4 trail.

Probably more, but that's it for now.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

With the evening gown when going to the policeman's ball. ::)

Oh, wait a minute... policemen no longer have balls. 

Redoverfarm

Hey Mark what did you find out on the air nailer?  Hope you got another one or at least a spare to take up this weekend.

Willy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on April 18, 2008, 09:32:50 PM
Hey Mark what did you find out on the air nailer?  Hope you got another one or at least a spare to take up this weekend.
It is working great for #8s on the plywood so I have been just nailing the rest of the 2/bys with my hamer. Seems like it is easier anyways then tring to hold that nailer up to do walls with. Now for the plywood I love it! Mark

Jens

What diameter hose are you running?  If it is too big, it won't give the proper drive.  In NH, we would get frozen hoses, they sell a special gun oil that is antifreeze to keep things working.  I can't stand gloves either, unless the temp is below 25 or so.  Once it gets colder than that, I can't do without them.  I keep two pair of the rubber coated thinsulate gloves.  One on my hands, the other inside my clothes at my chest to keep them warm.  When the pair I'm wearing get cold, I switch.  Nothing beats a good burn barrel though, just the thing for those days when it is -30 with the windchill, and you really need to warm up for a few minutes.  Don't worry about running out of work there Willy, the other 90% of building is yet to come! :)
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Willy

Quote from: hobbiest on April 19, 2008, 10:35:52 PM
What diameter hose are you running?  If it is too big, it won't give the proper drive.  In NH, we would get frozen hoses, they sell a special gun oil that is antifreeze to keep things working.  I can't stand gloves either, unless the temp is below 25 or so.  Once it gets colder than that, I can't do without them.  I keep two pair of the rubber coated thinsulate gloves.  One on my hands, the other inside my clothes at my chest to keep them warm.  When the pair I'm wearing get cold, I switch.  Nothing beats a good burn barrel though, just the thing for those days when it is -30 with the windchill, and you really need to warm up for a few minutes.  Don't worry about running out of work there Willy, the other 90% of building is yet to come! :)
The other 90% will be for some one else to do, at least the inside part. I am running a 3/8" hose on my air gun. Mark

Willy

Got the carport/patio done today. It was a long 13 hours including the 165 mile round trip! So now I am at day 14 on the cabin and I am ready for siding on the next trip up. Took my camera up this time no real snow except a dusting in the morning but it was in the 20s!! Mark

Front view;

Rear view but I still have the deck to put on after the siding is up.

Redoverfarm

Great progress Mark. What do you eat for breakfast?  Going to have to get me some to get the get the drive you have in building. 

ScottA

Good job Mark. You must have changed it again. I thought it was a shed roof design. Looks sturdy.

BiggKidd

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 13, 2008, 11:15:37 AM
Not a computer programmer are you, Larry?  Executive type? ;D

HAHA,

Me an exec. or programer no way. Nope I just work with my hands for a living. They stay about like 80 grit most of the year. I know just how he feels with the cracked hand too. That gets a bit sore happens to me a couple times a year.

Larry

Larry

BiggKidd

Mark,

You are quick. Must be eating super wheaties. Your cabin looks great so far. You have gotten a lot done in 14 work days. WOW

Larry

Larry

glenn kangiser

Well - Drew is and we need to feel sorry for his hands and wrists, but he has the stick to-it-iveness of hot tar and we have to give him credit for being a real trooper. :)

Willy

Quote from: ScottA on April 20, 2008, 09:37:32 AM
Good job Mark. You must have changed it again. I thought it was a shed roof design. Looks sturdy.
It was a shed roof design and guess you could say it still is with modifications. The area that has the porch covering is the same with a shed roof on the living side and shed roof on the porch side. All the rafters sit on top of the walls but since it has 2 angles it looks like a regular truss or roof design. The loft end I got rid of 12 ft. of the porch and turned it into living space. I also raised the loft roof up for more head room and removing the porch made it 18 ft wide in this end. Yes it has gone thru changes as I built it different than the plans. Heck as it goes up I could see things that would make it a better design so I just did it. The carport/patio part I had to draw up and pay a extra $75.00 in permit fees! I got over so to speak on the rest of the changes. No inspector has been to the site and he will only show up when it is dried in? Mark

Willy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on April 20, 2008, 07:24:42 AM
Great progress Mark. What do you eat for breakfast?  Going to have to get me some to get the get the drive you have in building. 
Well 2 pecies of toast and 3 cups of coffie by the time I get to work thats it. I cheated yesterday I left at 6:45AM and worked till 7:30PM with out a break or eating again. It was supposed to snow storm on us so I had to keep going. Ended up being a nice day except for the 20 deg temps! I just need to get my helper to pound nails!! He is great at getting me my wood and making some cuts but I have to nail off everything? Mark