Multi-phased 1 1/2 story home project in Austin, TX

Started by phalynx, February 11, 2007, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

phalynx as a little safety hint I always toenail the bottom plate into the subfloor on the inside with 8-10d and they act as hinges and keep the bottom plate from moving while lifting.  Just lay out where the inside of the plate will sit with a chaulk line and alaign the top of the bottom plate with that and toenail.

bayview

Fantastic!  You are really moving along . . .

Where did you purchase those wall jacks? 

I have always built my walls in sections and then sheathed later.  You have made raising this wall look way to easy . . . Also, I noticed that you have already doubled the top plate before the raise.

Anyone have an idea how to fasten the wall jacks to a concrete pad so it won't slip while raising the walls?

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

phalynx

I bought them from Amazon.  I didn't think about toenailing.  That would work.  I'll do that tomorrow.  Once we got over the fear, raising was a piece of cake.

bayview

Quote from: phalynx on January 16, 2010, 11:07:44 PM
I bought them from Amazon.  I didn't think about toenailing.  That would work.  I'll do that tomorrow.  Once we got over the fear, raising was a piece of cake.

The wall jacks aren't cheap!  You may consider renting them . . .  (Hint, Hint)  ;D

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 16, 2010, 11:05:49 PM
Tapcons?

I would be concerned that the screws would let loose while lifting.  Would setting the jacks floor base on a piece of lumber and then Tapcon the wood to the concrete work better?  It might help spread out the load. 

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Jens

if you take pieces of banding steel from you lumber delivery, and cut them into pieces about 8" long, they make great hinges for this.  Nail a piece to the subfloor so that it sits under the wall, and bend it around the bottom plate.  Nail to the bottom plate with 2 8d nails, when the plate is in the right place on the chalkline.  If you place them on or near a stud, you won't have to worry about hitting them when you drill for electrical or plumbing, but you must nail them to the floor before inserting the stud between the plates.  One 16d toenail in each end of the bottom plate (with it lined up on the chalkline), and a hinge every 4 feet or so, will keep the bottom of the wall in place while you square up you wall and apply sheathing.  If you don't have a sheathing inspection, wrap the wall with tyvek before you raise it.  Extend the tyvek a couple of feet on each end, and the bottom, then fold it back and temp secure it with staples.  Makes it a lot easier.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

phalynx

Redover, you are a GENIUS!!!  Toenailing was perfect.  I had to work it out in my head and then do a quick test to see it in action.  It did exactly what it was supposed to. 

Wall #2 up.  Went up very quickly.

Wall #3 went up even faster minus some siding.  Can't raise it with the end siding on.  Really getting the hang of these wall jacks.  They are worth every single penny.

Redoverfarm

phalynx

soomb

Quote from: phalynx on January 17, 2010, 09:04:57 PM
How about slightly evil genius? :)
A West Virginia's own Dr. Evil.  ONE Milllllion dollars!
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

phalynx

Those are the exact wall jacks I purchased.  Make sure you get the wind hook accessory.  The combination of the wind hook and the toe nailing created a safety envelope I was happy with.  Well worth the money.  Renting is great if you can do it all in one weekend.  If you are slow like me then buying is the cheapest way.

phalynx

We have 4 walls and ceiling joists now..

Here I am trying out my cave.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

RainDog

Hey! Slow down! You think this is some kind of GAME or something?

The least you could do is to look tired or something.

Looks like we're movin' back down to Westlake. With the bad real estate market and local economic situation, NE OK has become impossible to sustain.

Been forever since I've had some decent food. Trudy's still around? Cisco's?

Salivating just thinking about Huevos rancheros at Cisco's. My luck it's probably a fern bar now.

Lookin' good!
NE OK

phalynx

Quote from: RainDog on January 22, 2010, 06:55:31 AM

Hey! Slow down! You think this is some kind of GAME or something?

The least you could do is to look tired or something.

Looks like we're movin' back down to Westlake. With the bad real estate market and local economic situation, NE OK has become impossible to sustain.

Been forever since I've had some decent food. Trudy's still around? Cisco's?

Salivating just thinking about Huevos rancheros at Cisco's. My luck it's probably a fern bar now.

Lookin' good!

I thought the race was "First one to get 10 buildings complete wins"?

Trudy's and Cisco's are still there.  Austin is actually doing fairly well in this economy.  Don't forget about a steak burrito at Chuy's...... mmmmmmmm

phalynx

Rafters are up, attic is floored.  1/2 of the roof has purlins installed.  Tomorrow, the purlins will be finished and the roof panels installed.

poppy

Nice progress, but if this is a race, then call me Toilet Paper because I'm bringing up the rear.  :P

RainDog

NE OK

phalynx

I don't like to sit on my rear unless its in my man cave.. :)  So I am chuggin right along.  The weather has been extra nice so I want to take advantage of it as well.  We got 1/2 of the roof up and tomorrow night we should have the other half.  Ran out of staples of all things...

phalynx

Well I'm roofin on up!!!!,,,,(roofin on up), to the Southside...  To a sheet metal man cave, in the sky.....  Now everybody sing!

Got the other side of the roof on.  Scaffolding shows up today to finish the sides.

RainDog

I need some of whatever you're taking.

Boundless energy! Lookin' good.
NE OK

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

phalynx

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 29, 2010, 10:56:37 AM
That's impressive. phalynx.

My singing or my McManCave?  I have been trying to come up with a name for it.  Manitopia, Manitarium, Man-Mahal, NoMam, NeManderHall, and my favorite so far, The Ball Room.

Anyone else have some ideas?

RainDog

Um... those are all great names.

I mean, if you're opening a gay bar...

Hey, how about Man-Hole?

;D
NE OK