Yee ha! I'm a farmer (well, chicken rancher anyway)

Started by NM_Shooter, April 20, 2008, 07:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Took my kids out chicken shopping today.  First stop, Village Mercantile.  24 X 18 wire cage, water bottle, feeder, 25# of feed.  No chicks there.  Went to another feed store to check out their stock with a buddy and his daughter.  I ended up starting my "flock" with two Rhode Is. Reds, two Buff Orpingtons, and two California Whites.  Going to try and get some Americanas maybe. 

A bit of an expensive afternoon (~$70 all together)  but I guess ranchin' is like that. 

I told my wife I needed a tractor.

Frank
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Everyone knows you can't farm chickens without a tractor. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

rofl You'll need a farm tax number too so you can by red farm diesel. Do you already have a barn?

NM_Shooter

You know, I don't need anything crazy.  I could probably suffice with a Kubota R420 or similar, as long as it had a backhoe and a front loader.  Have you ever picked up a sack of chicken feed?  Cripes that's heavy.  My 11 year old daughter can barely carry them. 

I do have a barn, but it is being used as a camper storage.  Hmmm... probably need to get a better one that has ventilation fans.

Here's a picture of my peeps. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Cute chicks...  You better hurry up and get that tractor so that you can raise all your own feed for those little gals.... save you from having to pick up those heavy feed bags! ;D

John Raabe

Things seem to be progressing well along your path to rural self-sufficiency. Soon you can look forward to signing up for special farm support subsidies. :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Possibly they would pay him to not grow ...say excess chicken feed.  And I doubt the check would be chicken feed either.  Large corporate farms rake in millions per year to not grow stuff.... wait a minute -- that won't work...this is a small family farm...Sorry NM...no help for you there...not allowed.

I'm sure there are laws to prevent you from selling un-pasteurized eggs to outsiders or some such. [crz]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Also chicken manure is considered toxic waste. Expect a vist from the EPA soon. You do have a waste managment system, don't you?

StinkerBell

Congrats!

Do the chicks tell you that your cheap?

:)

glenn kangiser

I'll be his wife doesn't want him to talk to the chicks.

StinkerBell

glenn kangiser

...with a backhoe...right Stink? ...and I'm sure you know how to operate it, right...? ;D

StinkerBell

Hey you, you are following me around harassing me while I am busy harassing others.:P

Yes a BX24 with a backhoe......

NM_Shooter

Just got a new infrared bulb, so they are hot chicks too.

Hmmm.. I wonder if I need a permit to put in an additional watering well. 

And I think you can make explosives using the nitrogen from the poop.  Should I fret about the BATF?

-f-

StinkerBell

glenn kangiser

Does the Backhoe have a name?  I think Bella would be good.  [crz]

glenn kangiser

Quote from: NM_Shooter on April 21, 2008, 08:22:42 PM
Just got a new infrared bulb, so they are hot chicks too.

Hmmm.. I wonder if I need a permit to put in an additional watering well. 

And I think you can make explosives using the nitrogen from the poop.  Should I fret about the BATF?

-f-

They are already closer than you think...  shhh -- I can't talk right now -- choppers 12 o'clock high

Homegrown Tomatoes

So Shooter, how's the chicken ranching going?  Have you named them all yet? :)

NM_Shooter

When we picked up the chicks, I told my kids these are not pets, they are livestock, and are subject to weekly evaluations when they get to laying.  So absolutely no names.  I remind them that What I Say Is Law Around Here

With that being said,  in the photo above that is Laverne in the back.  She is my favorite.  When I go near the cage, she runs to the door and peeps until I open the door.  Then she stands on the threshold and bobs until I hold out my hand for her to sit in.  Putting her back in the cage takes some doing... you have to shoo her to the back of the cage, then extract your hands out and get the door closed before she can get back up on the threshold.  If you manage to get the door shut, she stands there, neck extended, with this "what the hell?" look on her face.  I suspect she is going to be trouble. 

That's Luna with the spot, and the Rhode Is. in the front is Lilly.  Eleanor is probably hogging feed and not in the picture.  Chloe and Marge (the Buff Orps) look alike and I can't tell them apart.  My daughter says she can.  Go figure.

Frank

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

Quote from: NM_Shooter on April 22, 2008, 01:52:49 PM
When we picked up the chicks, I told my kids these are not pets, they are livestock, and are subject to weekly evaluations when they get to laying.  So absolutely no names.  I remind them that What I Say Is Law Around Here

With that being said,  in the photo above that is Laverne in the back.  She is my favorite.  When I go near the cage, she runs to the door and peeps until I open the door.  Then she stands on the threshold and bobs until I hold out my hand for her to sit in.  Putting her back in the cage takes some doing... you have to shoo her to the back of the cage, then extract your hands out and get the door closed before she can get back up on the threshold.  If you manage to get the door shut, she stands there, neck extended, with this "what the hell?" look on her face.  I suspect she is going to be trouble. 

That's Luna with the spot, and the Rhode Is. in the front is Lilly.  Eleanor is probably hogging feed and not in the picture.  Chloe and Marge (the Buff Orps) look alike and I can't tell them apart.  My daughter says she can.  Go figure.

Frank

If your gonna be a farmer, you have to dirty up those hands some. Mine are dirtier than yours and I just took a shower. ;D
Try some bearing grease! :)
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Clearly. ;)  About like my dad and his slew of chickens with names....  My personal favorite was a one-eyed hen he named Squint Westwood.