weiner dog races!

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, April 15, 2008, 10:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

Big weekend this weekend... we're going to see the weiner dog races.  Does that sound like fun, or what?  DD wants to protest that any dog should be allowed to participate, because she doesn't really get why it is funny to watch weiner dogs run. 

StinkerBell

Weiner dogs or piglet races...Always fun  [cool]

glenn kangiser

When is a racing weiner dog like an inclined plane?

When he's a slope up. d*

That was an engineering joke I believe. rofl
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

gandalfthegrey

Bad Wolf

glenn kangiser

Have we all spelled weiner wrong?  hmm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

MountainDon

Weiner   is the spelling used for names of German extraction

Wiener is German for Viennese as in a Viennese sausage, or hot dog

The dachshund is referred to as a wiener dog
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Thank you, Don, for clearing that up.... somehow, I knew you'd have the answer. ;D

MountainDon

HGT, I hope you pick a wienner in the races.
;D ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: StinkerBell on April 15, 2008, 05:48:02 PM
Weiner dogs or piglet races...Always fun  [cool]

I used to love the greased hog chases and calf scrambles when I was a kid... I don't know of any place around that still has stuff like that now. 

Redoverfarm

Not sure of the spelling either but I like them with chilli, mustard and onion's.  Sometime I drop the chilli and substitute for sour kraut,  Hey thats almost german too. ;D

Homegrown Tomatoes

Oh, I thought it was spelled "sauerkraut"   ;D

MountainDon

A Polish sausage (hot dog) with sauerkraut, wrapped in a slab of good rye bread is excellent!

that's it HGT

ScottA

Wife's making  my favorite real german sauerkraut tonight. Yummm.  :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

It is some good stuff.  The earwigs were so bad in Wisconsin that they'd ruin most of the cabbage I planted, so one time I bought a bunch of cabbage from an elderly man at the farmer's market and put up something like 20 quarts of kraut.  Oh, was it good.  I didn't process it but put it in the extra fridge in the basement where it kept very well.  Wish I had some of that now... polish sausage and kraut wouldn't raise the blood sugar much, right?  :D

Redoverfarm

Well I warned you first about the spelling. That I forget but the taste last forever. My mother always makes at least 5 gallon each year.  Then cans it up in pints.   :(  She told me this year they were not going to have a big garden just a few things for the table.  Ist time since I remember that has happened but it is a lot of work.  She tried to feed everyone. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: MountainDon on April 16, 2008, 01:40:23 PM
Weiner   is the spelling used for names of German extraction

Wiener is German for Viennese as in a Viennese sausage, or hot dog

The dachshund is referred to as a wiener dog

Unless you're from Oklahoma, and then you somehow get permission to spell it however the heck you want... check it out:
http://www.travelok.com/toDo/eventsDetail.asp?id=1-30ZUX

Homegrown Tomatoes

Guess what?  All that hype for nothing!  We drove to Gainesville, TX last night to see DH's best friend that we haven't seen since our wedding about seven years ago.  Spent the night in a hotel there because there was a big little league tournament in OK that had all the hotels and motels filled up.  Anyway, by the time we got the kids up and ready this morning and drove back across the state line, we couldn't find the festivities.  We drove around for a while and then gave up and went to Chicaksaw National Recreation area.  We saw a kid with a wiener dog and asked if they'd participated, and he said they were going to but his dog got eliminated for behaving badly before the race began.  So, we went hiking and swimming instead.  It was good and hot and the water felt great.  Saw this huge water moccasin eating a frog that was as big as the palm of my hand!  He had the frog's head and front legs still hanging out of his mouth when we found him, and he was wrestling him around and trying to choke him down.  Kids thought it was really cool.  I've never seen so many snakes in one pond in my life... hope it doesn't give the kids nightmares.  Most of them were just harmless water snakes... only saw the one water moccasin. I've been going to that place my whole life and that's the first time I've ever seen snakes in that pond.