Dead in the water

Started by Redoverfarm, February 20, 2008, 03:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Well I spoke too soon when I was making the comment that I was getting alot done with the winter as mild as it been.  The generator has just quit generating. :(

Went to the filing cabinet to dig out the paperwork to see if there is something I can check. As luck has it it is the only thing that is not in there.  It should be but it's not.  I have paperwork on telephones, weed eaters that have since found a home in the landfill but no generator paperwork.  I'm sure that it was taken out for some other repairs and not put back. Now the search is on.

Anyway does anyone have a Coleman Powermate 5000Max generator?  The engines running good but there is no voltage coming out. Is there a breaker or fuse(not visible) on the head.  There are two reset buttons. I would imagine one is for the 110 and the other for the 220. They seem to be Ok but don't know.

wingam00

Redoverfarm, below is a link where you maybe able to find a manual. Hope this helps.

http://www.powermate.com/productmanuals.php?cat_id=3

Redoverfarm

Thanks Wingam but it's sort of greek to me as I don't have the generator at the house. The weather turned nasty and I left it on the mountain. Just looking a some of the numbers I think it is  PM0545000 but I was looking at the head configuration which looks similar. It does show a Capacator and a diode which could be either. When it comes to this kind of stuff I am lost. If it were an old fuse type I would be OK. Oh well Thanks again.

John

wingam00

John, good luck on getting the Gen. going again. sorry was unable to find any other sites that may have helped out.

Mark

peternap

John, it should have a push button type breaker near the outlet. Have you checked that and have you tried plugging into the other outlet?

Stupid suggestions, I know....but have to start somewhere.

A diode will allow voltage to pass one way but not the other ...unless it's blown. Use an Ohm meter or continuity tester.

A complicator will block voltage both ways but charge slowly. Discharge it first by shorting it but be careful. It carries a lot of voltage. Check it with a volt meter.

What exactly happened ?
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Peternap I haven't a clue. It was working fine until I went to cut a piece of flooring and the circular saw wouldn't work. I had it plugged into a reel multi-plug recepticle to use the light as well. It has a re-set as well and an idiot light to make sure it has power. I set the rest on it and it wasn't the problem. Check my extension cord and it was good. Tried an individual tool in the outlet direct on the gen and nothing. Pushed the re-sets on the generator and that didn't help.

So I am not getting power to the generator recepticles. Something internal with the head of the generator I would suspect. I went on-line to a Powermate site that Wingam gave me and it lookes like the same type head.

http://www.powermate.com/productmanuals.php?cat_id=3

I think this is the model PM0545000

I bought it in 96 and have probably put almost as much in repairs in the last two years than what I originally paid for it. But that was just to the Tech motor not the actual generator.

peternap

It's a pretty simple design Redover. Check diode (10D) with an ohm meter. I doubt the cap's the problem.

That circuit doesn't appear to need a rectifier except in the 12VDC output so I assume the diode does double duty as a fuse.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Thanks Peter. I'll go up in the morning and check it.  Ended up with a little over 2" of snow today. 

glenn kangiser

I think I have the same one - bought used -- with the same problem.  I didn't try to fix it as I have lots of generators.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Peternap let me tell you what I found.  The capacitor is showing 000 volatage on Ohm. The diode measures 632.  There is brushes in this model and when I looked at them there is one that is 5/8" and the other is 3/8"(only sticking out of the housing 1/4" or so) .  I called Powermate and they said that when the brushes got short that they would not make contact and no power would be generated. I sort of figured that much my self.  So the short of it is unless I am wrong(happens occassionally) the cap & diode are OK and I need to find me a set of brushes. Right or wrong?

MountainDon

It should be cheap enough to buy a new set and try them.  ???

If they're cheap enough buy 2 pair IF you have a method to keep track of where you put the spares. Like put them in a pill bottle and duct tape them to the gen frame.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Don the last set (original) lasted 12 years. Heck they might out last me this time. If that is the problem.  I called the closest factory service center and they said it would be 2 weeks if I ordered them .  I hate to order small parts. The shipping is 3X the cost of the parts.  I am trying to find a spare generator close to home to keep working til I can get it fixed.   :( That I will have to stop working for 2 weeks.

peternap

That's good news! A really fix if that's the problem. I thought about that but when I looked at the diagram, I didn't see the brushes and assumed it was just rotating in the field.

We all know what assumed means, ;D

Glad it is a simple and inexpensive fix.

Redoverfarm

I hope that will take care of it. The bad news so far one of the dealers in Elkins said it would be 2 weeks for them to get a set in. I am going to check with the factory and see if they can ship any sooner. Only other dealer is in Roanoke. Find someone going that way I will be set.  Thanks again.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Redoverfarm

Peter I guess I will just have to sit and wait on the parts.  Can you believe I called 8 service centers near me to see if they had a set of brushes and not one of them did.  Ended up ordering from the company. 10 days at best to get them.  When I called them I didn't even have to give her the part number as she recited it to me so I guess it is a universal part used in most of their generators. You would think that one of the centers would have a set on hand.  Maybe they all last as long as mine did.

Got the freezing rain they had called for last night and today. Temp around 26F this am.

MountainDon

That's amazing John. I'd a thought for sure somebody would have at least a single set on hand.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

Feel lucky you could even get the parts. So many things nowadays are designed not to be fixed but instead replaced.

Redoverfarm

Scott I came to that realization today. Luck of the Irish I guess.  Well I had a friend that offered to loan me his 3000 watt generator while I was waiting for parts.  I drove and picked it up and unloaded it at the cabin.  I went to fill up the gas and check the oil and "low and behold" the intake manifold was broken. :o Cast aluminum for a B&S.  So I went to town to the mower shop and was going to order another one.  Yep you guessed it. NOT AVAILABLE.  So I went to another and he said it was still on the books and he would try to order it. I'll find out tomarrow whether he can get it or not.  In the mean time I went to "standard operating procedures" and grabbed the JB weld.  Not sure whether it will hold or not but as a last resort anything is worth a try.  If this doesn't work then I will have to find a machinist to try to fabricate.  What bothers me is who actually broke it. I can't say for sure that I didn't but I want to make it right.  Just one day in the life.  d* I hate borrowing tools. 

Redoverfarm

Well I am back up and running with "my" generator. :)   The brushed arrived in the mail yesterday and by 9AM. Surprised me that they were within 7 days from order to delivery. :o I had them installed and was working as if nothing ever happened.  The other loaner is a different story.  I spent most of the afternoon on Goggle at Loanmower repair sites trying to find a replacement intake that Briggs said was unavailable.  No luck yet. I'm sure there is a cannibal shop somewhere that has one if I am lucky enough to connect with it. If not there is a machinist that I know that may be able to fabricate one.

Peternap thanks for the advice on checking the diode/ capacitor.  Narrowed it down considerably.

glenn kangiser

Get me the specs and maybe some pictures, John and we can see if our member, Mikey B has one -- he owns a saw, lawnmower and small engine shop and is well connected..

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Glenn here are the numbers that I have on the part.  I can find it pictured on the "part look up" but this is a PDF file and I can't get it transfered to the post.
It is a intake manifold for a Briggs & Stratton.  The following is the numbers to locate it with.  They apparently made it in two forms a metallic and non-metallic so the numbers listed are for both.  They are listed as illustration # 50 & 50A on the parts diagram.

Engine 170412
Type 1692-01

Part# 212488 (metallic)
Part# 212812 (non-metallic)

I will try to keep looking for a way to get the parts diagram posted.

Thanks

John

glenn kangiser

You could e-mail me a copy of the pdf, John.  I'll see what I can do.

glenn kangiser

John, Mike says he thinks he can have one by about Tuesday - around $20 or so for the metal -- no price for the other.

If you want to confirm the order let me know and I'll let him know and give you his e-mail - you can deal direct -- he's a great guy.

Redoverfarm

Glenn go ahead and tell him to try to get it. Although it is still on the books when all the shops I have talked to try to order they advise that it is no longer available.  I hope that is not the case.  You can either send me his E-mail address or give him mine.

Did he have any trouble referencing it from the # I gave you? 

Redoverfarm@hotmail.com

Thanks

John

glenn kangiser

He messaged me back shortly so no trouble I guess.  Well see if it's unavailable when he actually tries to order it.

Giving him your e-mail.  Update us when you see what happens.

Glenn