New to the community, thought i'd say hello.

Started by Curtis, October 29, 2008, 06:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtis

Hey everyone,
Seems like a nice large community here. Wasn't quite for sure where to post this, found this the most 'appropriate' forum to post my first thread in.

Basically, I'm just a twenty year old dude who is interested in building a small sustainable house on some acreage somewhere to be decided.

I've been reading a lot about log cabin construction, but I would be open to learning more about cottages and stone houses. Seems like this is the ideal place to learn, so I joined. I'm interested in building my own small home for many reasons, everything from the grim outlook of the future, to simply the ability to live in a home that I love, that I built, that I won't have to make payments on for years and years to come pounding me into financial burden.

I do a bit of design work aswell, currently designing a 1BR Cabin that is fire heated, and has a large emphasis on natural lighting. I will post it up when it is finished, to receive feedback.

Anyhow, just thought I would introduce myself.
-Curtis

benevolance

welcome aboard

We are crazy....you might want to run away screaming after you are here for a while :-\

Curtis

Nah, i've read a few posts before I joined.

Seems like we have a couple Coast to Coast listeners on here and people on the same general mindset.

Everyone seems alright ;)
-Curtis

StinkerBell

Redoverfarm

PedalFastBmx   w*

I would say any direction you go will be fine with us. ;D  If I can be any assistance with the log let me know.

John

Curtis

Thanks everyone.

Just reading around a bit...

I guess i'm just trying to figure out where I should start, as far as getting something out of my head and made into reality.
-Curtis

StinkerBell

Curtis

Eh, that i'm quite unsure of.

Ideally, just a 2BR small and practical home. Not too small, I guess a little larger than what a person "needs", but not too large, either.

Heated by a fireplace or wood stove, with emphasis on natural lighting to reduce electrical cost of lighting etc. Preferably constructed out of a mixture of logs and stone, as I think it'll give it a nice look.

Although I did see that underground cabin on here, and I must say, I do like ;)
-Curtis

StinkerBell

Yes, glenn's man cave.

It is indeed wonderful.

Well there has been a fun contest here of 200sf builds. You may want to look at the designs. 

I just can't recall where that thread is at....Anyone know where that's at?

Curtis

-Curtis

glenn kangiser

I think you would be interested in Andrew's (Ernest T Bass)builds.  Vertical log and Cordwood home along with some cob.  He is about 18 now -- I have to brag on him all of the time... He's the young man who knows too much... for his age... :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes