Oil Change Frequency

Started by MountainDon, October 23, 2008, 11:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

How do you (as in all you's out there) determine when to change engine oil? Time, mileage, whenever you remember?

If by mileage, whose recommendations do you follow?

Do you use regular or synthetic oil?

Name brand or store brand?

What about the oil filter?

If you use the old standby of every 3000 miles you may be changing oil more frequently than what's really required. Newer cars in particular may not require as frequent changes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. The Honda: Every 7500 miles (manufacturers recommendation, going by the onboard computer). Mobil One synthetic 5W20 (manufacturers recommended oil grade, my choice on the oil type) Filter changed every oil change. When the factory warranty runs out I'll probably continue that formula more or less

2. The Jeep (long out of warranty): Depends; Every 7500 - 8500 miles except in the hot summer months. Then it's changed at 3500 - 4000 miles. Mobil One synthetic 10W30 is the oil. Filter every time.

I ran a Bronco II V6 up to 180,000 miles using the same oil and change plan that I use for the Jeep. It still ran strong when I sold it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

The RV: (1983, 80,000 miles on engine)
I used to change it once a year as it was relatively low mileage use and never used on short trips. Oil filter with every change. Store brand, 10W30 oil. I used to use Mobil One in it but it developed a slow oil leak so I changed to store brand regular oil; cheaper to add a quart every so often than repair the leak.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

A neighbor has a buddy who is a trucker.  He owns a Ford Powerstroke and started to wonder how frequently to change the oil too.  15 quarts is an expensive oil change.

So he started taking oil samples to an auto lab for review.  He started at 4k, then 5k, then 6k.  At 7k the lab told him the oil was still fine, but he said that he was starting to get nervous about the condition of the oil. 

Seems to me that you want to change the oil while it is still good.

I currently change my powerstroke out at 5k miles.  But I tow with it and sometimes chip the engine.  I also change the tranny fluid out at 60k.

My wife's Hyundai Santa Fe is running synthetic.  That is a 7k change, as she drives it like she is delivering nitroglycerin. 

I'll see if I can find out where he took his oil for analysis.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Diesels can be different. Shouldn't the new low sulfur fuel should make it possible for extended intervals.  ?

I read someplace that WalMart uses incredibly long intervals for its mostly over the road fleet. They use analysis.

desdawg

My newer Chevy has an on-board computer that tells me what % of oil life I have left. So I guess using that I would be going by manufacturers recommendation.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

MountainDon

Redoverfarm

The wifes Volvo is changed at 7,500 miles as per factory recommendation. Use Castrol 15W40

The Powerstroke (99) uses Amsoil 15W40 for extended run. Filter changed at 12,500 and complete oil at 25,000.  It is a little costly at change time but the skipping of 3 oil changes makes a difference at 15-16 quarts.  It has been on this schedule for 8 years.

peternap

I am a firm believer in frequent oil changes and.....have never had an engine go bad. I had a Wagoneer that was near a half million miles when the body literly fell apart from rust.

On all the vehicles, including my diesel, I change the oil every month and the filter every other month.

I have been burning the old oil in my truck this summer but also use it around my pole foundations.

I do not use synthetic oil.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

ScottA

My old tool wagon has over 250,000 miles on it and has been the most reliable truck I ever had. (Chevy S-10 V-6) I change the oil 2-3 times a year when I think about it. No brand preference.

apaknad

2006 f-150, 4wd, 5.4 ltse v-8. i got 276,000 out of my last p.u. by changing every 3,000 w/filter(pennzoil 10w-30). now i go 5,000 w/semi synth. w/ filter(5w-20). consumers now says just follow mfgr"s rec's. oil has improved alot.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

muldoon

On cars, I always change filters when I change oil, they go together and always have for me.  As for the frequency, that depends on the vehicle. 

my old truck would burn some oil and was noticeably sluggish and "off" after about 2500 miles unless I topped her off.  After a change she'd perk right up.  That was a v8 dodge that I used conventional oil, but always the same brand/weight (havoline 10w30).  My truck now, a v6 toyota and go about 5000 miles on mobile 1 synthetic with the fram filter(5w30).  The oil usually still looks good wen I drain it.  My wifes car varies, somewhere between 5000-6000 when I get around to it and notice it's time.  Sometimes she does the drive-thru oil change and I have no idea what they put in.  When I do it I use castrol 5w30 on hers. 

Basically, oil will break down under wear and under temp and over time.  I dont want to press my luck on any of those.

The oil in mowers and small engines get changed every March, with whatever I have in the garage.  I also blow out small engine air filters with a compressor then too.  Dont usually have to top them off but I do check the oil over the summer.   I have worked on all of those engines from time to time and done carb jobs on some of them, they run like a champ.  Except for the blower I bought new all of them were used/abused/throw aways I was able to bring back to life. 

glenn kangiser

I never change it often enough, but my old 92 Dodge with a Cummins is still running for it's second owner.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John_C

Some years ago Consumer Reports did a study on oil change frequency with taxi fleets in NY City.

Groups of new cabs were put in service with oil changes done at 3,000   5,000  7,500  and 10,000  miles.  Any mechanical problems that could be attributed to oil degradation were noted and several engines from each group were torn down and examined for wear at 250,000 miles.  Over the study period no detectable difference was found between 3K   and  7.5K  intervals and only very small differences with a 10K interval.

The oil companies objected on various ground.  Different brands, types, grades and synthetics were not compared. Cab service involves very few cold starts, considered hard on engine oil. 

On the other hand if you have ever observed how the average NY cabbie drives, it would definitely be severe service. And the cars had numerous drivers over the test period, none of whom owned the cars.

I've tried to find the actual study online and couldn't, so this is from memory.  I found lots of references to it, many differing in small parts from my recollection.  I think the study took place before the internet became widespread so CR may not have had a web site at that time.  Oil additive technology has come a long way in that time so the findings would be at least as relevant today.

apaknad

john,

i have the report in the magazine(i save cr reports) your info is essentially correct.

cordwood

The new guy here. As I turn wrenches for a living I get asked this question A LOT! And for the most part there is no set answer. Old engines used to be easy, 30wt. in the cold and 40 or 50wt. in Mojave in August but now engines have very different needs internally. Some manufacturers spec. 5w30 oil because the light wt. oil helps meet epa mileage requirements while others such as the Dodge overhead cam V8s NEED!!! light weight synthetic oil to prevent a potential sludging problem were oil pools in the head and becomes extremely hot and regular oils begin to sludge up (this is the only engine I know from experience to do this).
A new engine is the most critical for frequent oil changes as that is when metal components are getting to know each other and sharp edges are rounding into that perfect fit you hope will last a long time and more you change it then the less chance of those edges finding their way back from where they came.
I have never seen a need for additives as most good oils come with them from the start and if your oil should need help it would be toward the end of its service life not at the same time you just changed the oil. Ultimately an oil analysis is the only sure way to know when your particular situation warrants changing.
I don't recommend a certain brand of oil as there are many good brands available but one thing I do recommend is that people cut open their old oil filter,........You can make your mind up for yourself about quality there, If it has cardboard end caps and is falling apart inside itself it should be a "No Brainer" (I don't like the orange ones).
I have had several engines go well over 200,000 miles without an oil related failure and I don't baby anything, EVER! I am also the mech. around here so that means my oil gets changed,...Um...Um...well it does just not on any set schedule d*, (5k-7k on non-synthetic) I just use a good oil, A good filter, And believe it or not I go by the smell, It starts to pick up a slight "Burnt" smell as the oil gets saturated with dirt and carbon.
But the one thing that is a known fact is they will run longer on old oil than no oil! ;)
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

MountainDon

I read the consumers reports taxi fleet test somewhere online.

w*  cordwood.  Interesting note about the Dodge OHC V8's.

I've been a fan of synthetics, Mobil 1 in particular, since the late 70's. I needed an oil that would allow engine starts at low (-40, sometimes lower) temperatures in situations where there was no power for an engine block or coolant heater. They had come out with a 5W20 that fit the bill. I see they now have a 0W20 that is supposed to pour as low as -53 degrees.   :o

I'm glad I don't have to worry about that any more.   ;D

glenn kangiser

Hey Cordwood, I was head mechanic at Dodge in 1970 in Lincoln City, Oregon.  Ballard Motors.  It was interesting.  I went to a diesel shop and learned welding after that.

I also am bad about changing oil  d*  If I have a leaker, --  and add oil ...isn't that rather a change, of sorts? hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

Quote from: MountainDon on October 23, 2008, 11:51:38 AM
How do you (as in all you's out there) determine when to change engine oil? Time, mileage, whenever you remember?

It real simple. Take on the dip stick and lick it. if it taste real bad its time for a change. Glad I could help.

glenn kangiser

apaknad

i assume you are still talking about a vehicle glen. ;D

glenn kangiser

That's right, Dan. I had to go back and make sure I had not left another comment in there that could have been mis-interpreted.  I didn't want Stink thinking bad things about me and my beautiful mind.  ::)

(That one is courtesy Barbara Bush and her beautiful mind) http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0429-11.htm

cordwood

Quote from: glenn kangiser on October 28, 2008, 12:16:03 AM
Hey Cordwood, I was head mechanic at Dodge in 1970 in Lincoln City, Oregon.  Ballard Motors.  It was interesting.  I went to a diesel shop and learned welding after that.

I also am bad about changing oil  d*  If I have a leaker, --  and add oil ...isn't that rather a change, of sorts? hmm

Just remember to change the filter once in a while and "WE" should be fine ::) ;) I like to call it "passive undercarriage lubrication!"  8)

Something I would like to add for those who use an oil change facility like Wal-Mart or Jiffy Lube etc.. Check your oil level BEFORE you leave their lot, Have them show you it is full! I have had many customers come to me and say their cars are using a quart or more of oil in as little as 500 miles after an oil change from a chain service. When we added more to make them full they somehow traveled the remainder with no further loss!?!?!
I am not trying to say they are thieves it's just with cars ranging from 4 qts to 6 qts in similar models and 15 for a diesel pick up it is very easy for a high flow shop to overlook the exact amount your particular car needs. Things like an optional oil cooler on a tow package make a difference they may have not noticed. And as for the thieves, Well every 5 cars he shorts a qt. he gets a free oil change on old bessie! >:(
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

John_C

Glenn said
QuoteIf I have a leaker

Depends   ;D

StinkerBell

Quote from: John C on October 28, 2008, 11:50:57 AM
Glenn said
QuoteIf I have a leaker

Depends   ;D

This so defines this group..... heh

kenhill

I had Jiffy Lube twice not Grease even though they said they had.  When pointed out to them, they immediately lubed the fittings.