Setting up generator number 3

Started by peter_nap, November 14, 2007, 12:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter_nap

I've got the listeroid at the new house site and my little generator (3K) is the one I cart around for misc jobs so I decided to get another larger (6.8k) diesel for the camper and later as a backup to the Lister.

It's a duropower and a fairly good price. It uses the same parts I see on every other Chinese Generator and I'm sure ALL generators are made in uncle Wongs Generator Plant.

Electric key start and direct injection. 120/220/12DC

$1100.00 delivered to my door.

I'll get it set up in a few minutes and start the break in....I'll let you know how it preforms.

peter_nap

Well....I filled it up with oil and diesel and cranked it up. After i bled the fuel line it purrs like a kitten.

First thing I hooked up was a fan that refuses to run right on almost everything, ran fine.

then I tried a batch of different variable speed tools. All good.

It is loud so I'll have to pick up some hay bales to sound proof it.

So far....so good :)

MountainDon

This is most interesting!  :) :)

You wouldn't have dB meter would you?

If not how's your ear feel about it?

OOPs. I missed it....  72

One more thing. In the features, what does this actually mean in real world working life

9. Idle Control Saves Fuel

New Tech Throttle With Idle Control Saves Fuel & Reduces Noise

Thanks Peter

peter_nap

[highlight]9. Idle Control Saves Fuel

New Tech Throttle With Idle Control Saves Fuel & Reduces Noise
[/highlight]

To be honest, I haven't a clue Don. It does idle down without load....but so do my others.
The manual is written in Chinenglish (I think the same fellow wrote my tractor manual) ;D but it doesn't say anything about that feature.

I'm trying to get 10 of the first 20 hours on it before taking it to the farm. I haven't had to refuel yet so I can't say how it is on mileage, it isn't too bad though.

All in all, it appears to be well made and solid...time will tell.

One thing I do like is that the muffler has a pipe going out (about an inch and a half) This will allow me to add a 2: adapter (so I don't increase the back pressure) and a cheap a$$ Autozone muffler to quiet it more. Between that and the hay bales, it should be fine.

glenn-k

Some shoot the exhaust into a barrel buried into the ground.

Madroaster

At the risk of hijacking a thread (Glenn)...feel free to move this to its own thread if it needs to be.

What are everyone's thoughts on using the Chinese generators?  It's something I've been wavering on.  On one hand, I know American-made ones are going to be better.  They'll likely last longer and likely have fewer problems along the way.  And they're more expensive as a result.

The Chinese-made ones are a dime a dozen, will likely have problems under heavy, long-term use, and are almost certainly lower quality.

My questions are rooted in the actual use of a generator in a normal (can there be normal?) off-grid situation.  Ideally, I'll only be using the generator periodically, either to charge batteries during low charge times, to power heavy periodic loads (welding or busy shop days), and other such times.  

Sifting through all the "Buy American" propaganda, does it seem realistic that a Chinese-made generator would do the relatively little work it will have to do?  This board seems pretty Harbor Freight friendly, and I can see why...if you're only going to use a miter saw for a single building job and the odd cut after that, the cheap saw will probably suffice.  Is it the same for generators?

Thanks,
--Derek

peter_nap

I have no problem with them for two reasons.

First, they are priced right and work fine. there is cheap Chinese junk and there are well made Chinese tools.

Second, like my tractor, I doubt you'll find an American made generator. Maybe one assembled in the US from overseas parts....but not American made.

My Listeroid is India made.

As far as longevity, good ones, properly cared for will outlive me.

When i was a Kid....everyone talked about the cheap Japanese electronics and how they were junk.

When Kubota came along, everyone talked anout that overseas junk.

As much as I lament Lost America.....It's still Lost!

Madroaster

I'm probably a year from buying my generator.  I'll be very interested to see how yours works during that time.  These products are socially interesting...lots of people buy them, but it seems not many admit to buying them on message boards, where the prevailing opinion is Chinese=junk.  As such, it's difficult to gauge how they actually work, when they might in fact work fine (some of them), or might really be junk.  

I think the generator as a component in an off-grid system is also often overpurchased, since people tend to plan their system from the viewpoint that "I can use my generator to pick up the slack in my system" as they try to save money on expensive pv panels and batteries, when they should be investing there instead.  The result of that, however, seems to be people looking for strong reliability in a generator since it then forms an even more integral part of the system.

glenn-k

It's fine here Derek.

There is very little made in America that is American anymore.  Kohler and Onanfound this

QuoteI have a good friend who is a Onan dealer... Onan's new portables are just "rebadged" Chinese imports.. I've seen them in operation, they're quality units with the warranty support of Onan behind them.

Most of the new stuff is Chinese and Japanese even if sold by an American company.  I'd say check it over - get reviews and be happy with the lower price.

A good quality Chinese or Japanese one is probably better than a poor quality one with an American name.

williet

Peter,
I know very little about generators. Could you tell me in everyday terms just what this will power? I need one for the rare power tool use and to back up a computer, a freezer, a couple of lamps and maybe a space heater if the power is off.

Will your machine do this with no problems?

glenn-k

I use Miller Welders for my generator.  10000 watt Generator  and the ability to weld and have a super high output battery charger all in one (running on constant current - electrode positive to positive of batteries - heavy cabling - monitor voltage while bulk charging - I am usually charging at about 140 amps on bulk then reducing - plus running the inverter charger at the same time off the generator).

About $3500 for a 300 Amp Miller with a Kohler or Briggs 4 Cyl  V engine.  Engine made in America? -- I don't know.

n74tg

Peter:
I went to the duropower website and for the life of me it didn't look like they had any (listeroids).  I looked under each tab and even did a search on it.  Any hints.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

MountainDon

They don't have any Listeroids, but they do have an assortment of one lung diesels, gasoline, nat gas, propane and so on that you did see.

Peter does have a Listeroid he got somewhere else.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

More from utterpower.  How about a gasifier to help power that Listeroid?

http://www.utterpower.com/gasification_plant.htm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

Where did this old thread come from. c*

Sorry Don. I didn't see your question before. The Duropower is not a Listeroid, it's a conventional diesel.

As to how it's working....I run it once a week.

Easy to start, even in cold weather.
Runs well and gives a very clean AC output.

In other words...no problems at all.

On the down side. It's LOUD....but I think I can fix that.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

Exhaust into a buried barrel of water then out?

Update on the gasifier -- $950 plus shipping.

MountainDon

Silencers

http://www.westernfilterco.com/silencers.html

I have a small one (different brand, many years old) that is similar to the Nelson series200. The reduction in sound level is simply amazing. I use it on the 20+ year old RV genset. It makes it real easy to hear all the mechanical clattering going on.  ::)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.