Interesting 320 sq ft house

Started by phalynx, June 01, 2011, 02:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phalynx

rocking23nf

heh my garage is bigger then that.

I lived in a 1400 square foot home and always thought it was all I need. Until i moved into a 2400 foot home, and now I could never go back.

bayview

Retiree's have been living in these for years . . .    They're called "park-models".

The kids "loft" should have an emergency exit.

How do you open the front door when the "guest bed" is opened?

Cute . . .    But no privacy . . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

phalynx

Quote from: bayview on June 01, 2011, 03:18:52 PM
   Retiree's have been living in these for years . . .    They're called "park-models".

The kids "loft" should have an emergency exit.

How do you open the front door when the "guest bed" is opened?

Cute . . .    But no privacy . . .

/.

Door opens out.. :)  I lived in an RV for over a year that was about the same size.  It can be done.  Sacrifice is key.  Now that I have lived in a small paid for place, I had the money to build a bigger one.....

StinkerBell

Texas Tornado

I like it as well!! Would just have to be a bit bigger to house the cats  [cool]

considerations

I'm quite comfortable in my 1.5 story 14 x 24...but, I do have an eclectic collection of outbuildings as well.

bayview

Quote from: phalynx on June 01, 2011, 03:41:33 PM
Door opens out.. :) 

Actually, towards the end of the video . . .    The owner is showing us her "broom closet".   The hinges are on the inside.

The front door cannot be opened when the "guest room" is made . . .    No big deal, I guess . . .    Unless you want to get out in an emergency.

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

phalynx

True.  But I did notice a back door as well.  The question would be, where would the fire be?

bayview

Quote from: phalynx on June 02, 2011, 01:18:18 AM
True.  But I did notice a back door as well.  The question would be, where would the fire be?

You're right . . .    It does have a back door in the bedroom.

Fire?   I guess however fires start in the home. . .    Cooking, smoking, heating, electrical, etc. 

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5150506_leading-causes-house-fires.html

It seems to have plenty of wood (tinder) for interior walls-ceilings.

The point I am trying to make is . . .   Is not to give up safety.

The loft . . .    To me . . .    Is a death trap.   Every room should have two exits.

/.

rick91351

Honestly; I tried to watch the video and became so claustrophobic I had to leave.  God bless them if they can do it.  But after three minutes -- got to the 'child's room' into it two things screamed at me.

ONE --- SPREAD OUT.  Two -- I got to get out of here. 

I second the motion, the loft is a death trap.  Okay place to store food and such --- maybe......... so long as you never had to go up there.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Dave Sparks

I like it also! Much bigger than my sailboat that I lived on for 10 years! Much bigger!
"we go where the power lines don't"

considerations

"the loft is a death trap"

Maybe hinges and a latch to free up emergency egress from the back wall of that loft would help.

phalynx

Quote from: considerations on June 02, 2011, 01:54:54 PM
"the loft is a death trap"

Maybe hinges and a latch to free up emergency egress from the back wall of that loft would help.

Actually, there are 2 exits to the loft.  There is the window above the kitchen and there is a step ladder in the closet.

bayview

Quote from: phalynx on June 02, 2011, 03:12:24 PM
Actually, there are 2 exits to the loft.  There is the window above the kitchen and there is a step ladder in the closet.

It has two exits?   Sorry then . . .   I guess that they have all the bases covered . . .

Loft still reminds me of a coffin . . .

/.

Ernest T. Bass

Y'know, I was thinking about it... With our family of 11, we have about the same square-footage-per-person in our cordwood house, and it didn't cost much more than theirs to build...

I agree that the place looks a little cramped. High ceilings help, but I think small spaces can flow a little better.. I'm not too fond of long and narrow.

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Grimjack

I just like the idea of "downsizing" your life. Not necessarily that particular layout of the home. living that way forces you to choose  things that are important to you, not just clutter your life  with more crap. I wish I could get my wife on board with that idea, but I doubt she could find one thing in our overpriced 3000 sq ft home that she could do without...

phalynx

Quote from: bayview on June 02, 2011, 03:47:08 PM

It has two exits?   Sorry then . . .   I guess that they have all the bases covered . . .

Loft still reminds me of a coffin . . .

/.

I do wonder what the kid's posture looks like.  Spending all that time laying down upstairs can't be good.