What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

This years venison. DW put a roast in the crock pot this morning and covered with Mushroom soup and let it cook all day. With it was mashed potato, lima beans, corn and crescent rolls with homemade apple butter. Another night of emptying out the freezer.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Drew, thanks for the naan recipe!  It was a big hit.  My daughter said I'm the best cook in the world.

Sassy

Quote from: tanya on January 07, 2008, 03:08:15 PM
NO dinner tonight the kids are all gone and I have a big old box of cheeze its to work through. 

Tanya, I've had meals like that  c*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 07, 2008, 07:19:21 PM
...venison. DW put a roast in the crock pot this morning and covered with Mushroom soup ...
MMMMMMM :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Drew

HT, that's great to hear!  I'm glad your daughter came to that realization all on her own.  :)  Dave plans to take that naan recipe and some tsatsiki to 4H Favorite Foods Day this spring.

Tonight Dan made Tuscan sweet pepper soup from a James McNair cookbook.  She served it with slices of baguette, some with a white bean spread, and some with roasted garlic.  We also had some sliced pears, grapefruit, and bananas.  Robin and I got to have some when we came home from our yoga class.

Boy, I sure love being a tree-hugging California hippie.  With a pocket protector.  Yup!

glenn kangiser

You play the part well, Drew. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

We're going to have leftovers from last night tonight... yesterday was nuts!  DH had a phone interview in the heart of tornado alley, and here we are in Wisconsin in JANUARY, no less, and the tornado sirens went off three different times while he was interviewing and while I was cooking dinner.  I sent the kids to the basement with the dog and then watched the sky and the weather, AND  cooked dinner at the same time.  The tornadoes passed within just a few miles/minutes of here, but the crazy thing was that the trees in our yard weren't really even moving, and it wasn't raining in our yard.  Just across the road, the trees down by the creek looked like they were going to snap in two, and it was pouring over there.  I could see some power line flashes, but we never lost power....  After all that, we installed half the new laminate flooring in the dining room and stairwell.  I'm hoping to finish the rest of that room before DH gets home today so that we can do the next room after dinner.  My goal is to have the floor complete by Friday... so nice dinners may go by the wayside for the week.

Drew

If you want something done, give it to a busy person!

Homegrown Tomatoes

The stew and naan tasted even better tonight than last night.  The naan is now all gone.  The girls ate it until I thought they'd explode.  We also added the last of the several kimchees because I was starting to have issues with the strong, ripe kimchee smell every time I opened the fridge.  The exceptions were the two in glass lock containers because they don't stink... we had some but left enough for some more meals from them.  I got most of the rest of the floor in the dining room done today and DH is putting in the last few right now... in order to put the last row of boards in the dining room, we had to tear up the first part of the entry into the breakfast nook (the floors were 1/4 inch different in heights because there was a thin layer of plywood over the old tiles and under the ugly linoleum.)  Now, we have a huge chunk of the nook floor ripped up with little staples sticking up here and there... there is no way I can keep the kids off this all day tomorrow, so I'm either going to have to put them to work pulling tile and staples with me, or we're going to have to spend a good part of tomorrow elsewhere!  I really want to get this floor finished, doggone it...it looks so nice in the dining room already.  It is awfully hard to live in a house while you're working on tearing up major components of it.  Tomorrow night, it'll be stew again, and maybe some cornbread.  I think that'll finish off the stew.  And maybe some collard greens... I bought some the other day because we've now entered the phase of winter where I start craving sunshine, even if indirect, and the most common expression is in starving for dark leafy green foods for the majority of winter. 

Redoverfarm

Well last night I winged it myself. Cleaned up some leftovers.  Tonight everyone was home and it was short ribs, broccoli & rice, peas and biscuits.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Last night we went out for dinner instead of having stew... little greasy spoon place.  I had a skillet with steak and eggs, and it hit the spot.  Tonight, we're going to a friend's house for dinner.  I think she said something about making sandwiches with Italian sausage or something to that effect... all I know is that I'm to show up with tiramisu for dessert.  That's the way to go with tiramisu... take it to a potluck and then you don't have overload from eating rich stuff every day trying to eat up leftovers.

Drew

Last night I made ziti, which is fast and welcome at home.  Slice some tomatoes for the bottom, add cooked rigatoni, drop in a bunch of half spoons of ricotta, pour your favorite (organic, of course) marinara sauce (I like to add some oregano or maybe some left over pesto), and top with slices of mozzarella.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes and serve it with sliced fruit, a salad, bread, whatever.  It's a recipe a kid could do which is a good thing.  It's a recipe a kid could eat, which is even better.

Tonight will be the pizza on the homemade focaccia bread.  It's gotta be fast because I'm going to talk to the Pacifica 4H club about starting a pastured laying hen project.  "Yard eggs" in the city.  Planet Organics sells them for $8 a dozen.  We could sell them for $5/dozen and it would be a lot more 4H-ey than See's Candy.

Not that there is anything wrong with See's Candy.  Oh, no.

Homegrown Tomatoes

$8 a dozen!!!  Are they made of gold???  Whew!  One of my old co-workers used to sell hers for $1.50 a dozen.  My dad and step-mom don't usually even sell theirs, though they're some of the richest eggs I've ever eaten... they give them away to friends and relatives and co-workers...every now and then they take donations for them.  Are you going to be certified organic? 

The tiramisu is done and the kids have licked the mixer off, and the bowl out.  :)  Now I can kick back because there is no more cooking to do today. 

Sassy

We used to have so many eggs - some of my co-workers wanted them & asked "how much" - I just told them, make a donation for the chickens if you want - for the food etc - I didn't feel comfortable charging - don't know why, though... we'd give them away to friends & family - and I cooked with a lot of them!  Now we only have 2 old hens & they're not laying anymore that I know of, if they do, the possums, skunks & whatever else are eating them.

BTW, our dogs got sprayed with a skunk the other night.  These dogs are still pups - about 6-7 month & are so high energy & frisky - it's almost impossible to keep them from jumping on you.

So anyone have good egg recipes for when we get more chickens? 

I cooked a roast & put just picked green tomatoes, green peppers, onions, beet greens & garlic in the juice & then made a gravy out of that for mashed potatoes.

Drew, that recipe sounds tasty!

Redoverfarm

HG  When I was working a co-worker and myself (wives included) would go camping and trout fishing.  If we were lucky at the end of the day we would cook a traditional supper which included trout, fried potatos and the like. Well his wife was Korean and she would always eat her traditional food which on one evening she fixed rice(plain). But she would spoon out what looked like apple butter (she said it was made from fish) and pour it onto her rice which she laid in a lettuce leaf. She rolled it up an gobbled it down as we did our menu. I tried it and it was "hotter than hades".  Do you have any idea what it might have been? The only thing that comes close that I have eaten is chinese mustard. It ranks right along with horseradish which I love. 

Speaking of which I can remember growing up we would go to my grandfathers house in the country and he would always raise his own ,grind it and can it. When you walked in the house the vapors would almost take your breath. I don't know how he managed to work it up without passing out.

Redoverfarm

Sassy I know there are some recipe's that use eggs for homemade ice cream. ;D That ought to get Glenn to buy some more chickens.  My boy has been pestering me to get some chickens for him. But I told him he has to master the care for the animals he already has first.  With the price of corn and the cost of the feed it is hard to pay for themselves now.  Maybe in the spring. Oh he raised a pig this year for 4-H and got pretty good money for it and he now wants to raise hogs.  Just another dream in a childs mind.  This years pics he's the one with the JD hat. Go figure.

Sassy

At least your son is headed in the right direction  :)  I don't want to get the baby chicks until it gets warmer around here.  We have to be so careful to keep them warm enough & cleaning out the nest (we keep them in a dog carrier while they're little with warming light).  The nest has to be cleaned everyday - they make such messes but are so cute  ::)  Until we get our chicken coop varmint proof it doesn't pay to have chickens.... and as you said, they are expensive to raise... but if you are paying $8 a dozen like Drew quoted, I guess raising them yourself would save money  :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 10, 2008, 02:51:04 PM
HG  When I was working a co-worker and myself (wives included) would go camping and trout fishing.  If we were lucky at the end of the day we would cook a traditional supper which included trout, fried potatos and the like. Well his wife was Korean and she would always eat her traditional food which on one evening she fixed rice(plain). But she would spoon out what looked like apple butter (she said it was made from fish) and pour it onto her rice which she laid in a lettuce leaf. She rolled it up an gobbled it down as we did our menu. I tried it and it was "hotter than hades".  Do you have any idea what it might have been? The only thing that comes close that I have eaten is chinese mustard. It ranks right along with horseradish which I love. 

Speaking of which I can remember growing up we would go to my grandfathers house in the country and he would always raise his own ,grind it and can it. When you walked in the house the vapors would almost take your breath. I don't know how he managed to work it up without passing out.
Redoverfarm, sounds like a combination of kochu-jang and duen-jang that she was using on the lettuce.  My husband and I make it for making lettuce rolls all the time (especially in summer when we grill a lot of Korean style meat/fish).  Is there a Korean market anywhere near where you live?  (Usually other Asian markets, unless they are really big, don't carry a lot of Korean food because it is different from everyone else in the region.)  Kochu-jang is red pepper paste, and duen-jang is made from fermented soybeans (usually with some broth from myeolchi, anchovies).  We usually mix a little of both and add ginseng (powdered), a tad bit of honey, sesame seeds and a little oil, and whatever else strikes our fancy.  Cooks from the deep south part of South Korea make this stuff a gourmet specialty while the further north you go it has less flavor and simply more heat.  If you have a Korean market nearby, they sell the stuff in little rectangular tubs (or big ones, if you like).  We usually get one red tub (the pure chili paste) and one brown/tan tub (the soybean paste, which you can also use to make soup similar to miso soup, if you like) and then mix about two parts chili to one part duen-jang to eat with the rice and lettuce and meat or fish.  Mixed together, it also makes a really awesome marinade for baked chicken...  Oh, and a side note, the Korean markets also sell a variety that is in a green tub, and it is premixed, but to me it just doesn't taste as good as when you mix it yourself.  If you liked that, you probably would also like the hot mustard oil they sell... it's made with horseradish.  It comes in a little bottle (ASSI is a good brand) and is sold as "Hot Dressing Oil".  A little dab'll do ya, though, as it's hot!  It's especially good on cold noodle dishes.  I'll try to take a picture of the tubs so that you can see what they look like... it's always easier to find if you know what you're looking for.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: Sassy on January 10, 2008, 02:34:15 PM
We used to have so many eggs - some of my co-workers wanted them & asked "how much" - I just told them, make a donation for the chickens if you want - for the food etc - I didn't feel comfortable charging - don't know why, though... we'd give them away to friends & family - and I cooked with a lot of them!  Now we only have 2 old hens & they're not laying anymore that I know of, if they do, the possums, skunks & whatever else are eating them.

BTW, our dogs got sprayed with a skunk the other night.  These dogs are still pups - about 6-7 month & are so high energy & frisky - it's almost impossible to keep them from jumping on you.

So anyone have good egg recipes for when we get more chickens? 

I cooked a roast & put just picked green tomatoes, green peppers, onions, beet greens & garlic in the juice & then made a gravy out of that for mashed potatoes.

Drew, that recipe sounds tasty!

Veggie fritattas are easy and really filling.  And, they can be made ahead and heated back up and still taste good.  I always make mine in my big cast iron skillet.  I boil a few potatoes until they're just getting tender, and then in the meantime, I saute' onions, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, and whatever else sounds good just until tender.  In a big bowl, mix the veggies (except potatoes), as much pepper jack cheese as you think it needs, some pepper, and about 8-10 eggs (depends on how big your skillet is.)  Chop fresh cilantro into the mix and then butter the skillet.  Slice the potatoes thinly and layer over the bottom of the skillet, and then pour in the egg/cheese/veg mix.  Cook on the stove top on medium heat just until the eggs are starting to set on the bottom and around the edges and then pop it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes until it starts to get golden.  Cut it like a pie and sprinkle with parmesan and serve with your choice of salsa or other sauce.  Very good and fairly well-rounded meal.  Sometimes I add meat, but not as a general rule, though it is good with ham, sausage or steak.

There is also an egg-cheddar bake I make sometimes for supper.  Basically just mix eggs, cheese, mustard, and pepper and bake it.  I usually add peppers or chilies and onions and/or garlic.

My MIL makes awesome steamed eggs for breakfast or dinner... here's the basic method:
Beat 3-4 eggs and add 1 t. soy sauce, 1T. water, one chopped green onion, and 1/2 t. sesame salt or toasted sesame seeds, and red and black pepper to taste.  Pour the mixture into a small greased pan or casserole (I use a heavy stoneware bowl that's made in Korea and is heavy enough to be cooked in)and sprinkle red pepper flakes or threads on top as well as chopped green onion.  You steam it in a double boiler or a steamer for about 10-15 minutes.  It should not boil.  In Korea, it is usually one of many side dishes on the table with any given meal, but it is especially good with kind of bland foods (ie. plain rice).  Would probably go well with grits or cream of wheat, etc., too.

Redoverfarm

HG there is not any markets even close by.  There was a market in Williamsburg Va that had food from all over the world.  I don't get there very often and just stopped while on vacation.

Sassy

I've made a lot of fritattas - used a lot of our garden veggies & eggs - one thing I didn't do was put it in the oven...  that would give it a more crisp texture, I'd like that - in the summer I can't use my oven - the whole thing heats up & it makes the house too hot.  I love to use the oven in the winter, though - helps to heat up the place  :)  The fritattas are wonderful... lots of times I would fry some chopped bacon 1st, then the potatoes, when potatoes were getting tender, add the onions, then the other veggies (chard, spinach, carrots, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, whatever I had handy - let that steam a bit, pour the egg & cheese mixture on top, cover & let that cook through, then add some more cheese & let that melt on top. 

Drew

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on January 10, 2008, 02:27:59 PM
$8 a dozen!!!  Are they made of gold???  Whew!  ...  Are you going to be certified organic? 

I'm not sure what causes it.  There has always been a strong foodie culture here in the Bay Area, and local food is becoming a big deal.  The CSA Dan and I go to sell eggs from a neighboring farm for $6/dozen.  It's where the economics equalize.  $5 doesn't make it, but $6 can be done on that scale.  And people drive down to Pescadero (about an hour south of SF) to get them.  Not sure how green that is, but w'ever.

The eggs we produce will be coming from our 4H project.  One of the cool things about that is the built in brand.  We will use organic feed and follow all the practices for CCOF certification, but we won't try to get certified.  At least not this year.  The 4Hers can tell the buyers all about the source and process.  Ever hear a confident kid in dress whites give a talk on animal management?  By the time they are done, no one is going to think we're running a battery enterprise.   :D

Redoverfarm

Drew around here there is what they call "Ham & Bacon Sale" which is kids raising their higs then curing up the ham and bacon and then having a sale. It is suppose to FFA but most of the kids are in 4H as well. A couple years ago my nephew sold a dozen eggs for $300. Of course it is a charity type sale. Some hams went for $20 pound. If you could return that kind of profit on eggs you would get your picture next to Bill Gates ;)

I posted a few pictures in this thread of my boy and his 4H pig project earlier today. I think I mentioned it once before.

Drew

I saw the pictures, Red.  They're great!  I really like the confidence and responsibility that programs like FFA and 4H build in kids.  I think my favorite part of being our 4H community leader is writing the scholarship letters.  I love bragging up these kids!  :D

I'm hoping I can show the kids what it means to be a supplier - that $5 a week from 10 families is $2,600 a year -if- you take care of your customers and your flock.  We have models where the kids raise an animal and auction it at fair, but nothing yet on repeat business.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 10, 2008, 04:31:10 PM
HG there is not any markets even close by.  There was a market in Williamsburg Va that had food from all over the world.  I don't get there very often and just stopped while on vacation.
that's too bad... here we have to drive clear down to the Chicago area to buy Korean groceries.  We only go once in a blue moon.  During the growing season, I grow most of what we use, though.